• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Funny you should mention that, because clags tends to be one of the more excellent, consistent dressers here. The FU jacket is a bit outside his norm, though he and many others seem to enjoy it (I am on the fence about it, though will add it's not at all an easy piece to combine. I think he has hits and misses with it).

Still, it's good to explore beyond one's comfort zone on occasion.

I think I'm in agreement with you on that jacket. I'm also on the fence. I love the fabric, but lovely fabric is not the sole qualification for a lovely jacket.

It's the loudest jacket I'll ever own.

I recently went back to B&T to drop of a length of solid brown, wool silk linen dormieul. They had a jacket length of this breathtaking H&S gun club they were trying to clear at a discount. It was divine, and I was tempted to put the solid brown on hold. But I remembered my loud FU jacket, and that I only need one of those, and that I already have one of those, and so I passed.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking #1 looks great as a swatch but may be too overpowering as a jacket, so I'm going to vote for #3.
I'm also casting my vote for #3. The blue is too vivid against that muted background. You'll be forced to build around that rather than build with it. It won't be as tough as my most recent windowpane experience, but still something you should keep in mind.
Predictably, I like 2.
My vote goes for #2. The less FU, the more use you'll get out of it. As for the other two, I prefer #3 - mainly because of said reason.
Pliny, I like #1 by a mile. windowpane/box checks need to be really bold IMO.
Another vote for #1.

Cheers all, I appreciate your input.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
More or less equal spread between the three: 4 votes for #1, 3 votes for #2, 2 votes for #3. The dark Choc at the bottom is already happening, and if Igo ahead with one of the others I'll post a comparison pic and ask for your input on the flipside.

Kulata, interesting u don't like windowpanes in blues generally. I can understand your aversion to that particular sky blue, but blues in general of course tend complement the common blue shirt.

Quote:
This really does need a solid tie, maybe a navy knit. I think what you may have done is studied every colour in the jacket and decided that because some of the same are also in the tie that they would compliment each other.

sound advice IMO

I wore my brown knit tie yesterday but I guess I could have done a shantung. Point noted. Thanks for the suggestions.

jp you'd be knocking them out of the park if u got your photography skills under control. I tend to thumb u more because I can imagine what your fits r like based on the quality of the individual items, but I think we're missing out on some cool visual inspiration.
plain.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very nice. I'm starting to learn how to combine a PS properly to the remaining parts of an outfit.

thanks, man. tok me over 3 years before i even started with the squares. i think i am starting to get the hang of it.

Get your elbow in (might me the angle of the photo, though). Otherwise, looking good!

stitchie- great shot(s). Dig the heavy machinery.

thanks, guys.

---

@Pliny - 2 or 3 for me.

---

This really does need a solid tie, maybe a navy knit. I think what you may have done is studied every colour in the jacket and decided that because some of the same are also in the tie that they would compliment each other.

agree.

Similar jacket and solid tie but the top half looks washed out, leaving top all light and bottom all dark. Brown knit tie?

agree. or a navy solid.

I know what I am implying In Stitches and you are right and wrong.
I'm not saying everyone should like only what I like and as I said earlier subtle pattern matching, where you don't really notice it from a few metres away is very clever.
Some of the attempts here though are just a lot of very bright items, which may theoretically match but all seem to stand out individually, which means you look from one item to another to another, not seeing an overall well blended outfit.
I think this may be partly cultural - let me qualify by saying Australians in general are among the worst dressed people in the western world - the British are known for their bright bengal shirts and so on, the Americans have a preppy hangover perhaps which may be a lingering influence ... red pants, plaid jackets etc.
I was in Rome a couple of years ago and it seemed virtually everybody wore a navy suit or a grey suit or a navy blazer and grey pants (there was a disturbing trend to pair it all with sneakers, albeit suede, however).
To most people that's all dead boring and it is really, but the cut and fabric of a lot of it was the most eye-catching aspect which impressed me.
Regarding patterns personally I stick to one if it is not all solids - say a blue and white striped shirt with navy solid tie, or a subtle small pattern tie with the rest solids.
Foxx is a great example of what I'm talking about (apart from his latest tie iteration).
Dress however you like but you have criticised my pics for being dull and lifeless so let me chime in when I see something which makes my eyes water please.
If you are going to take constant shots at my preference, do a Google pic search for Cary Grant, regarded as the best dressed man ever by many people. Of the 100 or so pics you will see about three where his ties are not solid and apart from one they are from his very early days.
Same goes for Sean Connery's James Bond in the first four movies. Even Steve McQueen in the Thomas Crown Affair.
People here decry my quest for this type of "elegance" but I guess to many that means cramming as many patterns as possible into your outfits

of course this all explodes the one day i week i am gone.

i think really everyone has said about all that can be said. but ill chime in real quick.

first of all, sorry for giving your fits less credit than they deserved, but i think edmorel righted that ship. that being said, the reason i took issue with your critique of loud/multi patterned fits, was solely because you chose to unleash it on what i thought was an excellent execution of a multi patterned fit. all i was saying was that instead of critiquing a "loud" fit that is good just for being loud, critique a loud fit when its a bad loud fit for being bad, or for being suboptimal. like you did in your critiques above, that i fully agree with.

as far as dressing more sedately, i am a big fan of simple, somber, elegant, crisp fits. i am fan of pretty much everything as long as its good, and well executed. be it a LK extravaganza, or a pB block of solids.

just for you, here is a fit that i did a while back that i really loved that might be more to your liking:

651e8a4d_d21e5fdb-991e-486c-8f15-e44bd68eca3b_zps9e4b2919.jpeg

Last edited:

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's me I'm afraid.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait what? what is you, and why are you afraid? i am confuse now.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everything was so elegant in the 50s and 60s.

050116_civilrights_hmed_1230.grid-6x2.jpg

And I could post 1000 pics proving my point. So what. I think I said there was good and bad, like in every era.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You are not allowed to praise any era ever.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads