HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Shouldn't this "Before, SF was way better and knowledgeable, and now it's just full of dandies" talk merits it's own thread? I mean, it's a nice discussion to have I'm sure, but I think it differs from this thread intended purpose, which is for users to post pictures of their daily outfits.

2. applky

applky Senior member

Real Parking Lots of New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Southwick x Epaulet SC
    Vanda tie
    Epaulet linen trou
    Carmina chukkas
    Kent Wang PS

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

4. AJL

AJL Senior member

To tie in (yes, I know) recent excess pattern debate, I'll dip my toe in the water by suggesting the gun club check would be better served with a solid tie, perhaps a grenadine or something with similar textural interest. Support rather than compete. Also, hard to get a sense of fit down below with hands in pants pockets. All IMO, naturally.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

5. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I agree on the problems of matching patterned ties with gun club/houndstooth jackets - solid ties are almost always the best choice there. However, if you should use a patterned tie, striped ties are (IMHO) the pattern that pairs best with that type of jacket. In this particular case, and with this particular tie and jacket, it didn't work all that well and a solid tie would likely have been the better choice.

6. applky

applky Senior member

Haha appreciate the pun.

I completely sympathize with your pattern comments. All week, though, I had been solid-solid-pattern up top, and I was itching to mix it up.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Re: Fok's point, I think it's natural people are going to come and go. Most people show up with a question, get what they need and go. Others become hobbyists and stay longer before moving on to something else. But that so many of the old folks are still here and not posting, or active elsewhere online, reflects very much the shift in the forum's direction. Not that that's bad, necessarily, just different.

Thank you, but there's been a shift in attitudes toward critique that would make this difficult, SF is more like Andy's now, in that it's a nicer place than it used to be, more comfortable with gentle encouragement (and liberal use of thumbs) than with direct unsolicited critique. There's an undercurrent of "Probably the best he can do," which is positive in that it reflects the reality that we all travel our own path and learn at our own rate. At the same time, that attitude can be patronizing and makes it hard to keep standards high.

Aside from that, some days I like a bit of daring pattern matching myself. There's a danger in thinking that the old crowd all thought alike, when we really didn't. I never fit easily into any of the SF camps back in the day. But that was one of the differences in now and then -- the terrain hadn't been so thoroughly explored, so there were fewer guys drawing on the same menswear reference points.

8. AJL

AJL Senior member

I'm flattered you should say so Clags, as I find you are one of the more thoughtful if nerdy posters here.

Having not read the post to that point, perhaps you have had a change of heart? ;)

9. AJL

AJL Senior member

I hear you, and agree on most points, particularly in regards to excess thumbage, which seems as much driven by popularity as quality of fit.

And I concur that the old crowd could not be lumped into one basket, as some lamenters seem to be inferring.

Finally, nothing wrong with bold pattern matching on occasion. It's just when it becomes The thing to aspire to, a competition of sorts as you suggest, that the eye and brain grow weary with sensory overload. One loses the sense of unexpectedness, and the excesses tend to outweigh execution in many cases.

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

11. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

At the risk of prolonging the return to your regularly scheduled program, I thought I'd make a few of final points before ducking out.

I like bright colors; bold patterns and pattern-matching; and sartorial originality, just when I have a sense that the person knows what he's doing and isn't aping commercial schlock.

Unlike Fok, I don't know Matt and Manton, but they did both spent a lot of time complaining about how bad the "What are you wearing" threads were before they stopped posting in them. But I'm sure they had many more and better reasons to cut back their posting.

I imagine that Spectre would admit that he's been a bit of an bastard on this forum, and I really don't want to be defending him. But I'm all for people busting up the circle jerk.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You're probably right. But most of our threads occasionally meander off into related subject matter, before course correcting by themselves. I like to keep things organic, and only steer things back on course if it seems like we've wandered too far afield, and are in danger of never getting back to the thread topic.

13. spectre

spectre Senior member

This really does need a solid tie, maybe a navy knit. I think what you may have done is studied every colour in the jacket and decided that because some of the same are also in the tie that they would compliment each other.

14. Beginneling83

Beginneling83 Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isaia sportscoat,
    Tramarossa jeans
    Drakes pocket square
    Tramarossa jeans
    Maffeis shirt
    Santoni shoes.

15. spectre

spectre Senior member

Similar jacket and solid tie but the top half looks washed out, leaving top all light and bottom all dark. Brown knit tie?

If you can put up with my pedantry I'm trying to be constructive, although I strongly disagree with reaction that my general comments early on about pattern overload were not constructive. It was a generalisation which possibly needed a more detailed explanation.