• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Forper No, but if you look through the thread, you will see that that 99.9% of what is posted here involves a jacket adn probably 98% of that includes a tie of some sort.

Though the tendency (of some) to distinguish style from fashion has always seemed a little bit silly (@Tirailleur1 for an amen).

Given that you are a skinny guy, you should probably look into getting clothes which aren't so loose; both your shirt and your pants look voluminous on you.

---

@dwpenny

If you insist on wearing a tie with jeans, a knit is the way to go. But in general, that isn't going to get much love around here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine a fair isle sweater is a good match for a tweed sack suit. Thoughts about the length of the pants here. There's contact with the shoe at least. Tie is tartan. Square is regimental.

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
Third day in a row posting here - hopefully not overstaying my welcome.
In case it isn't painfully obvious... I kinda like Eidos
shog[1].gif

I do wish the quarters on the jacket were slightly more closed (like the revamped NMWA cut), but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
The trousers are a lightweight cotton/wool and I kind of hate them (too slim, too low of a rise). I've recently ordered a pair of olive green trousers through Luxire to replace these ones.

Jacket: Eidos
Shirt: Boglioli
Tie: Conrad Wu
Square: Vanda
Trousers: Club Monaco
Shoes: Skolyx

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ in the second pic, at least on my monitor, trousers do appear olive green which I kind of like. All around it's a bit unconventional, but I tend to appreciate taking a leap now and again.

Given that you are a skinny guy, you should probably look into getting clothes which aren't so loose; both your shirt and your pants look voluminous on you. 

+1. @Forper and get a v-neck undershirt. :nodding:

Forper

Reaction score
^ in the second pic, at least on my monitor, trousers do appear olive green which I kind of like. All around it's a bit unconventional, but I tend to appreciate taking a leap now and again.
+1. @Forper and get a v-neck undershirt.
nod[1].gif

I dress for my lifestyle, the weather, my tastes and my history. Not yours or anybody elses.

That's called personal style.

My gear is functional for summer. Functionally I don't want to be wearing tight clothes in summer. The US Army concluded an undershirt makes you cooler. It also cuts down on laundry.

When and where I grew up tight clothes on men was considered very very uncool.

I don't like how fitted clothes look on men. I like loose clothes, pleated pants. I'm not giving up any function, my pants fit in the waist and my shirts in the shoulders.

I'm not wearing ties and jackets in 35 degree heat.

My style isn't casual, it's what I do my job in.

I think my gear fits best in this thread even though it's not what you might wear.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third day in a row posting here - hopefully not overstaying my welcome.
In case it isn't painfully obvious... I kinda like Eidos
shog[1].gif

I do wish the quarters on the jacket were slightly more closed (like the revamped NMWA cut), but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
The trousers are a lightweight cotton/wool and I kind of hate them (too slim, too low of a rise). I've recently ordered a pair of olive green trousers through Luxire to replace these ones.

Jacket: Eidos
Shirt: Boglioli
Tie: Conrad Wu
Square: Vanda
Trousers: Club Monaco
Shoes: Skolyx

The scales of the shirt and the jacket are too close together.
I would change that shirt to an light blue oxford cloth one.
The tie is great and I like it, when the tie is in a color of the jacket.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Forper, nobody is suggesting you go tight. But I don't think billowing is ideal for you. There is I am sure a middle ground in between billowing and spandex.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Forper jeezus… helluva reply to a suggestion of a v-neck. Not sure where temperature, ties/jackets, personal taste and all that other **** comes from.

When and where we are now … white crew neck tees peeking out from unbuttoned dress shirts is very, very uncool. That's it.

and Clags is right… there is a middle ground.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine a fair isle sweater is a good match for a tweed sack suit. Thoughts about the length of the pants here. There's contact with the shoe at least. Tie is tartan. Square is regimental.

Wonderful. I'm guessing the Blackwatch square is your Navajo imperfection in perfection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads