• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hat looks great. Not with the also great jacket. :) But that's probably not what you plan on wearing it with.

Right you are...the Panama is channeling spring/summer and warm weather apparel.

I'll be posting pics and a story of their other hats, many for Fall/winter. They have an amazing selection. Lots of women buy hats their too. A cool young thing walked in while I was there and bought a donegal tweed newsboy hat to wear with her Barbour. She looked great. There really is a lot to finding the right size, shape and color to look your best.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been busy moving into my new university apartment the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right you are...the Panama is channeling spring/summer and warm weather apparel.

I'll be posting pics and a story of their other hats, many for Fall/winter. They have an amazing selection. Lots of women buy hats their too. A cool young thing walked in while I was there and bought a donegal tweed newsboy hat to wear with her Barbour. It made he look great. There really is a lot to finding the right size, shape and color to look your best.

Looking forward to reading the story. Last year I bought my first Panama hat (nothing fancy), and I think they are interesting items. :) And yes it's hard to find one that really suits you; for instance, I feel the brim of my hat is just a bit too large. If I buy a new one, I will pay extra attention to that.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking forward to reading the story. Last year I bought my first Panama hat (nothing fancy), and I think they are interesting items. :) And yes it's hard to find one that really suits you; for instance, I feel the brim of my hat is just a bit too large. If I buy a new one, I will pay extra attention to that.

Im losing my hair a rapid clip and pretty soon will need something (read: Panama hat) during the summer to help prevent sunburn. I try to look on the positive side--at least I'll have a legitimate, unimpeachable reason to wear a hat :slayer:

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im losing my hair a rapid clip and pretty soon will need something (read: Panama hat) during the summer to help prevent sunburn. I try to look on the positive side--at least I'll have a legitimate, unimpeachable reason to wear a hat :slayer:

I have the same reason. :)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Jonathan, the size of the brim and the height of the crown need to compliment the shape and size of your head. Also, avoid general sizing , i.e. S,M,L...you really need a hat to fit your head properly and even then be careful because sizing varies between manufacturers just as it does with shoes or other clothing.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Post Scriptum

Overcoat:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
According to Jonathan, the size of the brim and the height of the crown need to compliment the shape and size of your head. Also, avoid general sizing , i.e. S,M,L...you really need a hat to fit your head properly and even then be careful because sizing varies between manufacturers just as it does with shoes or other clothing.

I kinda thought everyone knew this

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
holdfast when are we finally having that turtleneck meetup?
to see london coping with 2 inches of snow is always very amusing.
England just doesn't function when it snows. Snow happens most years (well, there was a run of several years with very little, but that was a while back), but it only ever lasts a few days or so each time, so none of us on an individual level find it economical to invest in snow chains/tyres, and the transport industry finds it equally uneconomical to invest in adequate measures. So instead we just grind to a somewhat dangerous halt for the handful of snow days we get each year. I've learned to just not drive anywhere until it starts melting; it's not worth the risk/effort.

Turtlenecks are awesome, aren't they? I'm thinking navy will be my next one. Or maybe a really dark green.

I sometimes match my shoes to my own plum-coloured cord jacket in a similar way to this. I always slightly regret it when I glance in a mirror, as it seems a little too obvious, somehow. I still do it though.
Trying on hats at Cable Car Clothiers in San Francisco yesterday:

Hat Panama -(made in Ecuador) from Cable Car

On a snowy day, this makes me yearn even more for Panama weather to return... that particular one suits you, by the way (the crown could stand to be just a fraction less tall, perhaps, but the angle makes it difficult to be sure). I'd agree with you and NOBD that choosing hats is tricky and best done in person and with a lot of patience. In fact, it's probably the most finicky thing I've experienced in terms of clothing. It has to be exactly right for you, or it looks terrible. It's far more demanding in that regard than even something like shirt or jacket fit.

[re: the thought of stitchy in a tulip felt hat]

uhoh.gif

Yes; that is indeed great fear that we're experiencing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads