HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks man. glad you read it, and even more glad you appreciated it.

and thanks for noticing the improvement.

:cheers:

edit - @ holdfast, read your comment in the "like" of my fit pic. thanks man, very kind of you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

2. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

Stitchy, your last few combo's are definitely much much better...your most recent purchases (e.g. Panta ties) are really nice ans should go well with your existing SC/Jacket inventory...but honestly and imo, it's time to raise the ante with your shoe selections. just my 0.02....time of the year for putting the cape back in rotation? :)

3. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I find this comment particularly interesting, Stitch. I personally like nova check including in a tie. I know that many consider that gauche. Many people also consider the polo pony gauche too, yet there is love for an obviously unlined tie. I recall someone on here (SugarButch perhaps) commenting on Spoo's unlined tie once asking the question: why is there love for a tie that the layperson would think was untidy and unkempt, is it merely because to know that it was actually of high quality and expensive meant you were "in the know"?
    That is to say, it's okay to display the refinement (and likely expense) of your belongings as long as the group who recognizes it is suitably select? Personally, I dont see how that is any less gauche - those who know still then know that you paid a lot for it.

In the end, shouldn't the criteria be that it is of high quality (of materials, workmanship, etc.) and contributes to a coherent and stylish outfit rather than whether it is recognizable by a group of people, regardless of whether that group is populous or select? Of course, one could argue against the nova check as being discordant, or even ugly, but that is a different argument than merely saying it is unliked because it is associated with a brand.

While I'm at it, I will offer some defense, such as I can, to SouthernStyle. The offending vest was actually originally owned by ADG of the Maxminimus blog, if I'm not mistaken. That doesnt mean it isn't offensive or that it fits within his outfit, but it does mean that a man of considerable personal style (IMHO) incorporated it into his own admittedly dandy (fluffy as he put's it) wardrobe. Since this is the Style Forum I would think that those developing their own style, be it dandy, CBD, peacock, or whatever would be welcomed. I'm sure if Sid Mashburn posted his daily outfits people would say his jeans and jacket and tie were discordant, and that if ADG posted here people would say his peak-lapeled quilted coat with ticket pocket was ridiculous and should be burned with fire. The truth is, these people have developed there own styles that break the "rules" that many here hold inviolate.

Barims and Albert Hal do too, though, and I don't see the attacks on them (I'm not advocating for attacks, I think both are cool), and while am at it, where was the vitriole for Fuuma in his polar bear fit - those shoes were [​IMG]

TL:DR Let's focus on style and less on rules (if only to lure Vox back on a Judge Dredd/ Emily Postian crusade)

4. Vovan

Vovan Active Member

Do I recognize the U of M colors here? [​IMG]

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It's Clarinetplayer's only weakness... he's otherwise impeccably dressed. [​IMG]

6. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

i like this segment for best post nomination...

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I disagree.

8. in stitches

so nominate it! in the thread for nominations! :)

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stitches, you're a great guy. I really appreciate your non snarky/non pretentious style of posting (tons of homo BTW).

10. in stitches

i am saying, that aesthetic is subjective. lots of people love nova checks and polo ponies. and thats fine, just dont expect any love here.

lots of people love an unlined tie, or the see-through nature of a grenadines untipped end. other people may not appreciate that. that is also fine.

what is important, is that you are comfortable with your style. and learning how to improve it, whatever it may be.

11. in stitches

:inlove:

thanks, man! i try to be nice and helpful. i hope i succeed.

12. gooter

gooter Senior member

agreed, stitchy is a top notch chap

13. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Michigan (ite) or whatever you're called?

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, I just don't think he is impeccably dressed.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

me too. The striped suit with the gingham shirt is way too much going on for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.