• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Post of the day!
Wise words from an ever-wiser (and ever-better-dressed) young man!

thanks man. glad you read it, and even more glad you appreciated it.

and thanks for noticing the improvement.

:cheers:

edit - @ holdfast, read your comment in the "like" of my fit pic. thanks man, very kind of you.

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and thanks for noticing the improvement...
Stitchy, your last few combo's are definitely much much better...your most recent purchases (e.g. Panta ties) are really nice ans should go well with your existing SC/Jacket inventory...but honestly and imo, it's time to raise the ante with your shoe selections. just my 0.02....time of the year for putting the cape back in rotation? :)

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the majority of people out in the street however, do not view things that way. they also like burberry check ties. i used to have one in a neon-ish green. got more compliments on it from the gen-pop than almost anything i wear now. ill bet most folks irl that see me now think i look "nice," and well put together. but probably also boring, and not "stylish." or "fashion forward."
I find this comment particularly interesting, Stitch. I personally like nova check including in a tie. I know that many consider that gauche. Many people also consider the polo pony gauche too, yet there is love for an obviously unlined tie. I recall someone on here (SugarButch perhaps) commenting on Spoo's unlined tie once asking the question: why is there love for a tie that the layperson would think was untidy and unkempt, is it merely because to know that it was actually of high quality and expensive meant you were "in the know"?
That is to say, it's okay to display the refinement (and likely expense) of your belongings as long as the group who recognizes it is suitably select? Personally, I dont see how that is any less gauche - those who know still then know that you paid a lot for it.

In the end, shouldn't the criteria be that it is of high quality (of materials, workmanship, etc.) and contributes to a coherent and stylish outfit rather than whether it is recognizable by a group of people, regardless of whether that group is populous or select? Of course, one could argue against the nova check as being discordant, or even ugly, but that is a different argument than merely saying it is unliked because it is associated with a brand.

While I'm at it, I will offer some defense, such as I can, to SouthernStyle. The offending vest was actually originally owned by ADG of the Maxminimus blog, if I'm not mistaken. That doesnt mean it isn't offensive or that it fits within his outfit, but it does mean that a man of considerable personal style (IMHO) incorporated it into his own admittedly dandy (fluffy as he put's it) wardrobe. Since this is the Style Forum I would think that those developing their own style, be it dandy, conservative business dress, peacock, or whatever would be welcomed. I'm sure if Sid Mashburn posted his daily outfits people would say his jeans and jacket and tie were discordant, and that if ADG posted here people would say his peak-lapeled quilted coat with ticket pocket was ridiculous and should be burned with fire. The truth is, these people have developed there own styles that break the "rules" that many here hold inviolate.

Barims and Albert Hal do too, though, and I don't see the attacks on them (I'm not advocating for attacks, I think both are cool), and while am at it, where was the vitriole for Fuuma in his polar bear fit - those shoes were
facepalm.gif

TL:DR Let's focus on style and less on rules (if only to lure Vox back on a Judge Dredd/ Emily Postian crusade)

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...i think there are three important points to remember if you really want to effect change, assuming you find yourself in the camp that wants to make that change.
one, you have to post pics, imo. there is a lot to learn from screwing up. just looking will only get you so far. actually trying to do things, and getting feedback is hugely important.
two, not everyone here is out to help, or are they even capable of doing so. there are a lot of stupid feedback comments that people make just to inflate their egos. you need to learn who is actually trying, and able, to help. DO NOT be afraid to PM. anyone. no matter how big the SF persona, we are all just dudes trying to look good. there are lots of people here who are very generous with their time, and very capable of helping. and when they do, dont be a dick, make sure to express appreciation.
three, do not be a drone. imitation is not the goal. you have your own style and vibe, you need to learn how to tailor that in a way that works. dont be afraid to be yourself. we all make mistakes, sure. even the best here do. but you just have to move past them, and wear something better the next day. learn how to dress, but be true to yourself.
anyhow, that was my experience and that is what i recommend. hope all that helps someone.
i like this segment for best post nomination...

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stitches, you're a great guy. I really appreciate your non snarky/non pretentious style of posting (tons of **** BTW).

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I find this comment particularly interesting, Stitch. I personally like nova check including in a tie. I know that many consider that gauche. Many people also consider the polo pony gauche too, yet there is love for an obviously unlined tie. I recall someone on here (SugarButch perhaps) commenting on Spoo's unlined tie once asking the question: why is there love for a tie that the layperson would think was untidy and unkempt, is it merely because to know that it was actually of high quality and expensive meant you were "in the know"?
That is to say, it's okay to display the refinement (and likely expense) of your belongings as long as the group who recognizes it is suitably select? Personally, I dont see how that is any less gauche - those who know still then know that you paid a lot for it. 

In the end, shouldn't the criteria be that it is of high quality (of materials, workmanship, etc.) and contributes to a coherent and stylish outfit rather than whether it is recognizable by a group of people, regardless of whether that group is populous or select? Of course, one could argue against the nova check as being discordant, or even ugly, but that is a different argument than merely saying it is unliked because it is associated with a brand.

i am saying, that aesthetic is subjective. lots of people love nova checks and polo ponies. and thats fine, just dont expect any love here.

lots of people love an unlined tie, or the see-through nature of a grenadines untipped end. other people may not appreciate that. that is also fine.

what is important, is that you are comfortable with your style. and learning how to improve it, whatever it may be.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitches, you're a great guy. I really appreciate your non snarky/non pretentious style of posting (tons of **** BTW).

:inlove:

thanks, man! i try to be nice and helpful. i hope i succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads