• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't have a problem because it's Foo, not because it isn't wrong. There's even more wrong with the tie knot as it isn't in proportion to his face either, let alone what he's wearing.

And what would the "right" proportion be? I am baffled by criticisms like this because they assume there is some golden ratio when there plainly is not.

Slippybee

Reaction score

Well, probably more because they thought ******** was too micro, due to my tie knot.

We Caucasians are inscrutable sometimes, no?

I really like Mafoofan's look. Perfectly presentable, nicely relaxed and in keeping with his surroundings.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy Browns - if you ever venture into London again try afternoon tea at the Langham. Very civilised.

MrChris

Reaction score

It's a nice shirt collar. 

You don't have a problem because it's Foo, not because it isn't wrong. There's even more wrong with the tie knot as it isn't in proportion to his face either, let alone what he's wearing.

I'm afraid you're wrong, what the user name of a poster happens to be isn't something I put into consideration before I post feedback. Some might care, I'm not one of them though.

Ant Honey

Reaction score
And what would the "right" proportion be? I am baffled by criticisms like this because they assume there is some golden ratio when there plainly is not.
Your tie knot is too small for your wide spread collar. Your tie knot is too small for the width of your face. Your tie knot is too small for the lapels of your jacket. You want proportions, look at something that is more pleasing and make the calculations yourself. It looks off, because it's off. You're right, there's no golden ratio, but because there isn't doesn't mean small looks good with big.

If one is wearing a spread collar such as yours, you are best served with a triangular, larger knot so there isn't so much of a gap and it doesn't make your collar look like wings. Your small knot is in discordance with the shape of your shirt collar and in turn this makes your wider face appear wider than it is.

Visual harmony. Balance. No golden rules, no exact science. Take your error like a man.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Your tie knot is too small for your wide spread collar. Your tie knot is too small for the width of your face. Your tie knot is too small for the lapels of your jacket. You want proportions, look at something that is more pleasing and make the calculations yourself. It looks off, because it's off. You're right, there's no golden ratio, but because there isn't doesn't mean small looks good with big.

If one is wearing a spread collar such as yours, you are best served with a triangular, larger knot so there isn't so much of a gap and it doesn't make your collar look like wings. Your small knot is in discordance with the shape of your shirt collar and in turn this makes your wider face appear wider than it is.

Visual harmony. Balance. No golden rules, no exact science. Take your error like a man.

How do you know my face isn't really as wide as it appears? After all, you only have its appearance to judge by. Why do I want to avoid "so much of a gap" between my tie and collar? Actually, that "gap" is a good way to add visual depth. I actually abhor when tie knots are made to fill out the space between one's collar points. It looks asinine. Like when people can't think about visual space effectively and place all their furniture along the outer perimeter of a room. Available space does not need to be filled out. How would describe the "shape" of my collar and why is it inappropriate for the size of my tie knot?

Critiques of style cannot rely on scientific fact, but for that reason they should at least be as clearly and directly articulated as possible. Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Ant Honey

Reaction score
How do you know my face isn't really as wide as it appears? After all, you only have its appearance to judge by. Why do I want to avoid "so much of a gap" between my tie and collar? Actually, that "gap" is a good way to add visual depth. I actually abhor when tie knots are made to fill out the space between one's collar points. It looks asinine. Like when people can't think about visual space effectively and place all their furniture along the outer perimeter of a room. Available space does not need to be filled out. How would describe the "shape" of my collar and why is it inappropriate for the size of my tie knot?
Critiques of style cannot rely on scientific fact, but for that reason they should at least be as clearly and directly articulated as possible. Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.
Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. **** everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. **** everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

Words such as these, strung together to say nothing an in an attempt to sound intelligent ".. alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary." 

Queen's English? What the ****.

Alluding to "visual harmony" over and over again, as if it presents its own truth, is the real pretension here.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Foo looks ok.

Ant Honey

Reaction score
Queen's English? What the ****.
Alluding to "visual harmony" over and over again, as if it presents its own truth, is the real pretension here.
I'm not alluding to it. I'm saying it. It's not a pretension. I'm a visual artist. What do you do, perhaps I can break it down for you differently? How is it not a truth? I'm not making something up. We look at things and they are either harmonious or they aren't. Some things are pleasing in proportion and some are not. In music, something sounds harmonious or it sounds discordant, right?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would have gone with a slightly larger knot myself (not a windsor or anything, just slightly thicker and longer :)uhoh:))

that said, I'm not quite sure I see the need for a battle royale on the topic - or for the desire to invalidate the other's opinion on it, from either side

jawboneofa

Reaction score
Honey Ant, lay off; Foo hasn't posted in some time and you immediately drop a micro-penis bomb.

Just like some people give rep to big names, it seems like some people like to shots at big names...pretty soon all we'll be left with is the blind leading the blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads