HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

And what would the "right" proportion be? I am baffled by criticisms like this because they assume there is some golden ratio when there plainly is not.

2. mafoofan

Well, probably more because they thought my penis was too micro, due to my tie knot.

3. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

We Caucasians are inscrutable sometimes, no?

I really like Mafoofan's look. Perfectly presentable, nicely relaxed and in keeping with his surroundings.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy Browns - if you ever venture into London again try afternoon tea at the Langham. Very civilised.

4. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

I'm afraid you're wrong, what the user name of a poster happens to be isn't something I put into consideration before I post feedback. Some might care, I'm not one of them though.

5. Ant Honey

Ant Honey Well-Known Member

Your tie knot is too small for your wide spread collar. Your tie knot is too small for the width of your face. Your tie knot is too small for the lapels of your jacket. You want proportions, look at something that is more pleasing and make the calculations yourself. It looks off, because it's off. You're right, there's no golden ratio, but because there isn't doesn't mean small looks good with big.

If one is wearing a spread collar such as yours, you are best served with a triangular, larger knot so there isn't so much of a gap and it doesn't make your collar look like wings. Your small knot is in discordance with the shape of your shirt collar and in turn this makes your wider face appear wider than it is.

Visual harmony. Balance. No golden rules, no exact science. Take your error like a man.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I don't even know why mafoofan even bothers posting pics anymore.

7. mafoofan

How do you know my face isn't really as wide as it appears? After all, you only have its appearance to judge by. Why do I want to avoid "so much of a gap" between my tie and collar? Actually, that "gap" is a good way to add visual depth. I actually abhor when tie knots are made to fill out the space between one's collar points. It looks asinine. Like when people can't think about visual space effectively and place all their furniture along the outer perimeter of a room. Available space does not need to be filled out. How would describe the "shape" of my collar and why is it inappropriate for the size of my tie knot?

Critiques of style cannot rely on scientific fact, but for that reason they should at least be as clearly and directly articulated as possible. Stating rote rules of thumb and alluding to vagaries that cannot be elucidated implies an empty commentary.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Ditto.

9. Ant Honey

Visual harmony. You have interrupted it. Fuck everything else and your misconceptions about what I'm getting at. (read, trying to weasel out of a mistake with the queens english in an attempt to sound smart).

Also, I find it quite interesting that when you blatantly break any so called rules you get in a bit of a tizzy, but one could very easily look through your critiques and see nothing but "rote rules of thumb" or worse, laws of tailoring.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

10. mafoofan

Queen's English? What the fuck.

Alluding to "visual harmony" over and over again, as if it presents its own truth, is the real pretension here.

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I think Foo looks ok.

12. Ant Honey

I'm not alluding to it. I'm saying it. It's not a pretension. I'm a visual artist. What do you do, perhaps I can break it down for you differently? How is it not a truth? I'm not making something up. We look at things and they are either harmonious or they aren't. Some things are pleasing in proportion and some are not. In music, something sounds harmonious or it sounds discordant, right?

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I personally would have gone with a slightly larger knot myself (not a windsor or anything, just slightly thicker and longer :)uhoh:))

that said, I'm not quite sure I see the need for a battle royale on the topic - or for the desire to invalidate the other's opinion on it, from either side

15. jawboneofa

jawboneofa Senior member

Honey Ant, lay off; Foo hasn't posted in some time and you immediately drop a micro-penis bomb.

Just like some people give rep to big names, it seems like some people like to shots at big names...pretty soon all we'll be left with is the blind leading the blind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.