HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Thanks for the polite advice - you´re totaly right both about the suit and how I feel about it; would be fun if I could make it work. I suppose what remains is to try and cut the Gordian knot by getting rid of both shirt collar and tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I feel compelled to oblige: [/FONT]

Black:

[​IMG]

Navy:

[​IMG]

Sadly, both of the above are bit much for my daily job as an assistant university professor.

Work attire tends to be corduroy suit and turtleneck sweater (except the usual slacks/cords and sports jacket combos), but I was looking for something new to add to the mix. It's sad that it's so much harder to find casual suits then formal ones, but it's all demand reflecting supply, of course.

(I´d love to supply better photos, but (as you can probably tell from the boxes and empty shelves) I´m in the process of moving out of tiny appartment so not much space and camera is already stuffed into a box somewhere).

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Is this now the Ask Andy WAYWT thread? :confused:

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Slowly, slowly.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You've already had a lot of feedback on the jacket but FWIW, despite generally preferring longer jackets, and thinking that such would look better here too, I think the more pertinent issue is the really curved away fronts more than the shortness per se. That's what makes it look a bit distracting IMO. Some of it may be pose, too, I'm guessing. On another topic, I'm not convinced this style of facial hair works for you, but given my own occasional bearded forays, perhaps it would be smarter for me to be silent on that topic! :)

On the positive side, I love the colour scheme, and the choice of tie works great with everything else.

Busy Sunday teaching... apologies for the really intense colour-correction applied in a vain effort to vaguely approximate reality. Suit is dark navy, shirt is a blue microcheck and tie has a burgundy ground.

[​IMG]

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I actually think you're on to something here, treating this heavy-looking suit as winter outerwear. What the hell is sticking out of your turtleneck, though? And maybe dial back the pocket square explosion just a little?

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Gos - Why don't you get rid of the sweaters at least?

Cruz - Thanks for liking the pocket square. I'm just starting the pocket square journey but surprisingly I find that pocket square to be very versatile. I can wear it with blue or burgundy ties.

I wore it to this wedding and I was only one of two men there wearing a pocket square. Unfortunately, the other guy had a matching solid pink tie and square.

7. robert in LA

robert in LA Well-Known Member

The sub-text of these shortened, unstructured jackets, is to poke fun at the 'dreadnought' of blazers: full canvas, full padding, some cashmere in the blend, perhaps gold plated cast brass buttons, and worn very little these days. And the dreadnought's time has passed, and something else will take its place. The shortened jacket (does it have a name) is a bit evocative of the comic suit ensembles which Pewee Herman wore in his kiddie television show. It is a transitional piece to something else: it evokes a man's jacket without actually being one.

Other's will know this better than I do, but the present form of the man's suit jacket is basically an Edwardian invention. It has changed and will change further. There are semiotic messages about property, authority, placement in society, place of national origin, and concept of self woven all the way through it. I think that the unstructured part will probably stay, given that it is possible to get fit, profile and drape with current fabrics with better elastic memory, and state of the art laser cutting and manufacturing, without all the structure that went into a suit jacket forty years ago. The lower hem will probably go back down.

R.

8. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

What I liked about this jacket when I bought it in 2009 from LLBean Signature were the lapels. It was actually a suit, but I didn't keep the pants. What's interesting is that while I've come to realize the jacket is short on me, the lapels don't follow in the narrowness that has accompanied this shorter style in the last couple years.

Also, I'm convinced I've either gotten taller or jackets appear shorter on me due to horizontal growth in the 2.5 years since then. Not only does it appear shorter, though, but it's tighter and I think the quarters look so open because my hips and everything have gotten proportionately bigger as well.

So, thanks, all, for the input. I have my eye on a couple navy linen unstructured jackets, which I'd like to replace this one with, but my income is limited, so it's one thing at a time. Whoever wants to help me achieve this goal, buy my boots! Until then, I'll dress with the wardrobe I have (and keep saving for the one I'd like to have) :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

10. MarcInDentonTx

MarcInDentonTx Senior member

No, it's not.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya... it's not perfect but very cool in a funky, future-retro kind of way...

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hello y'all. a little something from a friend's wedding (re)reception last night.... not the best pix but oh well. I've was on vacation again and have quite enjoyed the beach and two weeks of no electronics!! (btw... the shoes aren't nearly as "red" as the pic would appear...upon post it looked a bit off to me)

13. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Is Pitti Uomo the new Flamboyant Entertainment?

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well, Liberace is indeed long dead..............................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.