• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Victor: Y U NO LIKE TROUSER CUFF?

Spoo: Top/bottom-half dischord. Plus, the pindots on the tie are too similar in scale to the "background" pattern of the jacket's check. I like the PS with that jacket, though. Very nice.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. The trousers are actually mid-gray, the jacket is sort of a brown-green with a subtle blue overcheck, and the tie is navy and white shepherd's check (it's a brand-new fabric for them). That doesn't discount your critique though. I was second guessing this combination all day.
I'm having a terrible time finding a trouser cut that works for me. Like I said in my post, I had high hopes for the Epaulet Rudy cut, but even that is a bit too tight I fear. I don't like the low rise of the BB Milano trousers either. I have some BB Madison gabardines that are way too loose in the legs, but are OK in the seat and thighs. I'm not looking for a super slim fit. Is there another brand or cut that I should try? Once I find something that works I'll buy a few pairs so I can do some better color combinations.

So new it's not on their website yet? Or do you mean the medium blue plaid one? Thanks for the clarification on the colors, but yea I still think more contrast would be better. On trousers - maybe try the new Howard Yount Made in USA trousers? They're cut fuller than the Italian-made ones. I like them a lot.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score

So new it's not on their website yet? Or do you mean the medium blue plaid one? Thanks for the clarification on the colors, but yea I still think more contrast would be better. On trousers - maybe try the new Howard Yount Made in USA trousers? They're cut fuller than the Italian-made ones. I like them a lot.

That's right. I don't believe they have it on their web site yet. Gerald contacted me after I ordered a different tie and told me that they didn't have enough fabric to make that one I ordered. He suggested the navy and white shepherd's check as an alternative. It's a four-fold instead in six- because the fabric is a bit thicker.

I'll check out the Howard Yount trousers. Thanks for the tip.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score

Excuse the sloppy outlines. I felt the same as unbelragazzo about the muddiness of the close tones. Since you were looking for new trousers anyway, those are what I changed, as well as the tie. I think the stronger contrast helps each component pop.

Wow, that's really great. You're right. The lighter trousers look much better. :slayer:

Mox C

Reaction score
Glad you like it. I'm new to style, but I've worked with color a little bit in the world of photography. I've found that there are a few effective ways to create contrast. There's hue, what we think of as color: colors on the opposite side of the color wheel from each other tend to create pleasing contrasts. Yellow, gold, and red ties tend to go very well with blue suits, but green starts to get iffy. Then there's value, which is how light or dark a color is. You might have a navy suit with a sky-blue shirt and med-blue tie. This is how a person who is fully color-blind might see the world. Items that are close in both hue and value can be difficult to distinguish from each other for most people. They can blur and appear muddy.

Saturation is another way to distinguish items, but I think it's less effective than hue and value. I personally like a mix. Contrasting hues with the same value can look cartoonish, while contrasting values in a single hue can be a bit matchy-matchy.

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory

(I actually intended for the second tie to be a slightly lighter tone, so that it wouldn't be so close in tone to the jacket and both tone and hue to the shoes.)

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Soon.
For now, German.

spoopoker, truly a man of taste. you've probably even contributed to my salary.
fistbump.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads