• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

that he doesn't post here anymore is quite telling, I'd say.

Perhaps. Even so, don't you think it more telling that he never posted at all in SW&D? If you ponder that, you might answer some of your own more general questions.

At any rate, I rather doubt the inactivity of many former members on tailored clothing subjects has much to do with the topics acecow and you are discussing, nor does it seem germaine to the points edmorel was making earlier.

snowman is a semi-professional boxer. RO sneakers are garbage, look ugly, poor build quality, but are so aggressively offensive that they can look awesome in a certain context, a grungy look of idontgiveadamn, if you will.
these ann boots are nothing like RO sneakers, I guess your point was that you don't like either which is fine. These are rather bulbous and the wedge sole adds to that effect. Still the leather is quite buttery soft on them, and they're nice for tucking if that's what you aim for.
and I guess the point is not really to put something together that people would notice, NYC or not. He wears this because he can and no he's not some college kid skipping classes to put pics on internet, because it's comfortable for him, because he likes it, and because he, first and foremost, feels it looks good. Not having the perfect fit on the shirt is not really a consideration, it's not a deal breaker. The thing is, there are no real rules. Things just click. The suit UC posted was amazing, and I'm sure would be loved on SWD (well I shared it there anyway, sorry for no ask, but I liked it that much despite not caring for 2 roll 3 or 3 buttons -- personal quirk, I prefer 1, 2 or 4+ buttons, anything involving 3 buttons I don't like) because it works, the fabric looks great, the fit is nice on him, and he looks to be wearing the suit rather than the other way around. Similarly, and here I speak of my own preference by pointing to snow's second fit, the pants (stat-ment, not sure many here or swd would know it) are fantastic, the aggressive taper, the fabrics are perfect, the color is very nice, just blend into the tall boot shafts, and the black belt and boots make a great contrast on the white and grey.
Please note neither of these consist of denim. Despite the name, SWD is not just [japanophiles and their] denim and trashed sneakers. It's become a rather all-encompassing thing where composition, environment, quality of image, and to an extent, the user, all go into a formula for determining what level of praise a contribution will receive. And no, not all that receive massive praise are perfect, and there are some very good fits that are largely ignored. Just the nature of the beast ...

Well, your viewpoint does not seem too complex: it's basically highly relativistic and non-social. There's no indication of being part of a community, or larger culture, or ongoing (as opposed to quantumly-chosen) history. Generally speaking, the typical MC poster believes, pretends, or fantasizes otherwise (I think.)

Think of it this way...for the coat and tie crowd, it works like this:

1. You wear a suit and tie.

2. You get more casual by replacing the suit jacket with an odd jacket.

3. You get more casual still by losing the necktie.

4. You get even more casual by losing the jacket.

There you have it: casual wear. Shirt, pants, shoes. In each of the categories above, there are ranges of fabrics, colors, accessories that are more apt to that level of formality.

Toss in accessories and clothes from sporting life, and then jeans, and it largely captures everything of relevance since WWII.

These graduations of formality inherit a deep tradition of thinking that certain clothes go with certain occasions and purposes. A hundred years, give or take, of practice produces complexity and nuance that no single designer can ever hope to approach, much less surpass.

In contrast, contemporary fashion clothes are a one trick pony. You dress the same, by and large, day and night, weekday and weekend. The style...assuming that you have any...is encapsulated with you, and bears scant relation to others, to occasion, or to a larger living culture in which some degree of deference and accomodation is important.

I think that lectures from SW&D about how "MCers" can "improve" their "fits" are prone to failure except in a rare few cases where the person has the interest, means, and security of immediate social tolerance for dressing schizo. Don Diego de la Vega by day. Zorro by night.

Don Diego de la Vega: You have passion, Alejandro, and your skill is growing. But to enter Montero's world, I must give you something which is completely beyond your reach.

Alejandro Murrieta: Ah, yes? And what is that?

Don Diego de la Vega: Charm

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize for being annoying, as it was rude to entertain myself at the cost of others having to read all that. In all seriousness, I don't have strong feelings on this subject, so with my apologies to Shah and the rest of the SW&D crowd, I'd love to put this all to rest. For the sake of gdl, if nothing else.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you acecow. As penitence, you will have to look at the SW&D WAYWT thread 3 times a day for a week. ;)

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

So has acecow been officially voted the new village idiot of MC now or does he need to prove himself a little bit more with more asinine remarks and horrific fits like that green abortion one of the other day?
320x700px-LL-0aa8917a_Kw6hv.jpeg

FFS

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
that he doesn't post here anymore is quite telling, I'd say.

Perhaps. Even so, don't you think it more telling that he never posted at all in SW&D? If you ponder that, you might answer some of your own more general questions.

no, it doesn't. it tells me that a great contributor who was and still is interested in traditional clothing is no longer in these parts specifically due to the nature of this subforum. why would he ever go somewhere he has no interest in to begin with ? It doesn't really matter, except that MC has lost a good contributor, which is not a net benefit for you. you seem to suggest then that social circles are just replicates, drones that all behave according to a single algorithm, rather than a sum of individuals each replete with quirks and peculiarities coming together to form a unique array. In this sense, you are not just isolating your culture/community based on economic and social distinctions but also race/culture that would not adhere to the same algorithms. oh well...

The rest of that post reads like a warning sign at a malaria-infested stagnant pond, sorry...but the romanticization of the past without realization that it is just a singular time-point in the very cyclical fashion world you might want to escape coupled with your still-skewed view of what comprises SWD (and the idea that anyone in SWD would try to give guideline-adhering advice on suiting as understandable by MC) is just all too bizarre for me. I'd hoped this would all be an exercise in re-forging the once united StyleForum but, as with the process of speciation, two monsters have emerged, no longer the heads of one body but now entirely disparate entities.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

At any rate, I rather doubt the inactivity of many former members on tailored clothing subjects has much to do with the topics acecow and you are discussing, nor does it seem germaine to the points edmorel was making earlier.
Well, your viewpoint does not seem too complex: it's basically highly relativistic and non-social. There's no indication of being part of a community, or larger culture, or ongoing (as opposed to quantumly-chosen) history. Generally speaking, the typical MC poster believes, pretends, or fantasizes otherwise (I think.)
Think of it this way...for the coat and tie crowd, it works like this:
1. You wear a suit and tie.
2. You get more casual by replacing the suit jacket with an odd jacket.
3. You get more casual still by losing the necktie.
4. You get even more casual by losing the jacket.
There you have it: casual wear. Shirt, pants, shoes. In each of the categories above, there are ranges of fabrics, colors, accessories that are more apt to that level of formality.
Toss in accessories and clothes from sporting life, and then jeans, and it largely captures everything of relevance since WWII.
These graduations of formality inherit a deep tradition of thinking that certain clothes go with certain occasions and purposes. A hundred years, give or take, of practice produces complexity and nuance that no single designer can ever hope to approach, much less surpass.
In contrast, contemporary fashion clothes are a one trick pony. You dress the same, by and large, day and night, weekday and weekend. The style...assuming that you have any...is encapsulated with you, and bears scant relation to others, to occasion, or to a larger living culture in which some degree of deference and accomodation is important.
I think that lectures from SW&D about how "MCers" can "improve" their "fits" are prone to failure except in a rare few cases where the person has the interest, means, and security of immediate social tolerance for dressing schizo. Don Diego de la Vega by day. Zorro by night.
Don Diego de la Vega: You have passion, Alejandro, and your skill is growing. But to enter Montero's world, I must give you something which is completely beyond your reach.
Alejandro Murrieta: Ah, yes? And what is that?
Don Diego de la Vega: Charm

This is some of your best work, B. If Moo were here, he'd agree.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The rest of that post reads like a warning sign at a malaria-infested stagnant pond, sorry...but the romanticization of the past without realization that it is just a singular time-point in the very cyclical fashion world you might want to escape coupled with your still-skewed view of what comprises SWD (and the idea that anyone in SWD would try to give guideline-adhering advice on suiting as understandable by MC) is just all too bizarre for me. I'd hoped this would all be an exercise in re-forging the once united StyleForum but, as with the process of speciation, two monsters have emerged, no longer the heads of one body but now entirely disparate entities.

How are you claiming to have "escaped" the cyclic nature of fashion? That is most patently false.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i'm not. it's the most obvious aspect of the industry. whether in MC or SWD , we're all subject to it. just a matter of the response.

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm not. it's the most obvious aspect of the industry. whether in MC or SWD , we're all subject to it. just a matter of the response.

Then what's your point? The purpose of MC is, generally, to try and freeze that cycle in some sense.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

no, it doesn't. it tells me that a great contributor who was and still is interested in traditional clothing is no longer in these parts specifically due to the nature of this subforum. why would he ever go somewhere he has no interest in to begin with ?

:laugh: I think that you're confusing me with acecow.

If it is so easy for you to accept that someone whom you seem to admire has never, ever had a presence in the presentation and conversation of the modes of dress in SW&D, why might it be difficult to accept that "MCers" you might not admire would be the same?

The fact that MC sucks does not preclude that SW&D sucks even more. No reason to be defensive about that...the whole forum is kinda sucky these days.

You have adopted a working theory that I'm stupid.

You could be right.

But in either case, it is a fact that regularly as the change of seasons, members who are most active in the SW&D side are anxious to tell "MCers" that they look terrible when the coat and tie come off. I support this. The problem comes in the suggested remedy, which when shown in the photographic form known as, "you should really dress like me," tends to offer cures worse than the illness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads