HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Perhaps. Even so, don't you think it more telling that he never posted at all in SW&D? If you ponder that, you might answer some of your own more general questions.

At any rate, I rather doubt the inactivity of many former members on tailored clothing subjects has much to do with the topics acecow and you are discussing, nor does it seem germaine to the points edmorel was making earlier.

Well, your viewpoint does not seem too complex: it's basically highly relativistic and non-social. There's no indication of being part of a community, or larger culture, or ongoing (as opposed to quantumly-chosen) history. Generally speaking, the typical MC poster believes, pretends, or fantasizes otherwise (I think.)

Think of it this way...for the coat and tie crowd, it works like this:

1. You wear a suit and tie.

2. You get more casual by replacing the suit jacket with an odd jacket.

3. You get more casual still by losing the necktie.

4. You get even more casual by losing the jacket.

There you have it: casual wear. Shirt, pants, shoes. In each of the categories above, there are ranges of fabrics, colors, accessories that are more apt to that level of formality.

Toss in accessories and clothes from sporting life, and then jeans, and it largely captures everything of relevance since WWII.

These graduations of formality inherit a deep tradition of thinking that certain clothes go with certain occasions and purposes. A hundred years, give or take, of practice produces complexity and nuance that no single designer can ever hope to approach, much less surpass.

In contrast, contemporary fashion clothes are a one trick pony. You dress the same, by and large, day and night, weekday and weekend. The style...assuming that you have any...is encapsulated with you, and bears scant relation to others, to occasion, or to a larger living culture in which some degree of deference and accomodation is important.

I think that lectures from SW&D about how "MCers" can "improve" their "fits" are prone to failure except in a rare few cases where the person has the interest, means, and security of immediate social tolerance for dressing schizo. Don Diego de la Vega by day. Zorro by night.

Don Diego de la Vega: You have passion, Alejandro, and your skill is growing. But to enter Montero's world, I must give you something which is completely beyond your reach.

Alejandro Murrieta: Ah, yes? And what is that?

Don Diego de la Vega: Charm

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

I apologize for being annoying, as it was rude to entertain myself at the cost of others having to read all that. In all seriousness, I don't have strong feelings on this subject, so with my apologies to Shah and the rest of the SW&D crowd, I'd love to put this all to rest. For the sake of gdl, if nothing else.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thank you acecow. As penitence, you will have to look at the SW&D WAYWT thread 3 times a day for a week. ;)

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

That's pushing it...

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

6. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

no, it doesn't. it tells me that a great contributor who was and still is interested in traditional clothing is no longer in these parts specifically due to the nature of this subforum. why would he ever go somewhere he has no interest in to begin with ? It doesn't really matter, except that MC has lost a good contributor, which is not a net benefit for you. you seem to suggest then that social circles are just replicates, drones that all behave according to a single algorithm, rather than a sum of individuals each replete with quirks and peculiarities coming together to form a unique array. In this sense, you are not just isolating your culture/community based on economic and social distinctions but also race/culture that would not adhere to the same algorithms. oh well...

The rest of that post reads like a warning sign at a malaria-infested stagnant pond, sorry...but the romanticization of the past without realization that it is just a singular time-point in the very cyclical fashion world you might want to escape coupled with your still-skewed view of what comprises SWD (and the idea that anyone in SWD would try to give guideline-adhering advice on suiting as understandable by MC) is just all too bizarre for me. I'd hoped this would all be an exercise in re-forging the once united StyleForum but, as with the process of speciation, two monsters have emerged, no longer the heads of one body but now entirely disparate entities.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

This is some of your best work, B. If Moo were here, he'd agree.

8. the shah

[​IMG]

9. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

How are you claiming to have "escaped" the cyclic nature of fashion? That is most patently false.

10. the shah

i'm not. it's the most obvious aspect of the industry. whether in MC or SWD , we're all subject to it. just a matter of the response.

11. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Then what's your point? The purpose of MC is, generally, to try and freeze that cycle in some sense.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

:laugh: I think that you're confusing me with acecow.

If it is so easy for you to accept that someone whom you seem to admire has never, ever had a presence in the presentation and conversation of the modes of dress in SW&D, why might it be difficult to accept that "MCers" you might not admire would be the same?

The fact that MC sucks does not preclude that SW&D sucks even more. No reason to be defensive about that...the whole forum is kinda sucky these days.

You have adopted a working theory that I'm stupid.

You could be right.

But in either case, it is a fact that regularly as the change of seasons, members who are most active in the SW&D side are anxious to tell "MCers" that they look terrible when the coat and tie come off. I support this. The problem comes in the suggested remedy, which when shown in the photographic form known as, "you should really dress like me," tends to offer cures worse than the illness.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Re-imagining the cure - now those are gems.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

aeglus did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.