• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Freemans-1.JPG

this suit is just gorgeous .... anytime you post it i'll comment ... lol.

as you said, you have broad shoulders, which seem pretty straight ... so it goes without saying that your shoulders will look built in suits. maybe going for minimal padding will help. also a really good tailor can take a half inch or so off each shoulder ... but typically the result wont be as drastic ... so you have to weigh the cost-benefit analysis.

looks like we have very similar measurements ... 43 chest; 18.5 shoulders ... and i think the more natural/soft shoulder look fits me better because of my built shoulders. i've damn near given up on trying to get my chest to 40 or 41 ... lol.

arc

Reaction score
I kind of feel the same way, MBreinin, but I also think it works well for you. You have an elegant, comfortable undertone to your outfits because of it. If I were you I might not change that even if I could.

I guess I might phrase it that they don't look too big; rather they look like an intentionally relaxed fit. You never look like you don't know what you're doing, which is key.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IST66
1-64.jpg

2-35.jpg

This is cool. I like the play of light and dark colors.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
this suit is just gorgeous .... anytime you post it i'll comment ... lol.

as you said, you have broad shoulders, which seem pretty straight ... so it goes without saying that your shoulders will look built in suits. maybe going for minimal padding will help. also a really good tailor can take a half inch or so off each shoulder ... but typically the result wont be as drastic ... so you have to weigh the cost-benefit analysis.

looks like we have very similar measurements ... 43 chest; 18.5 shoulders ... and i think the more natural/soft shoulder look fits me better because of my built shoulders. i've damn near given up on trying to get my chest to 40 or 41 ... lol.

Yeah, my shoulders are very straight. As I go on and I learn what is going to work for me, and what isn't, my wardrobe is changing. I love those Chester Barrie era RLPL suits, and I have four of them, but they have some big ass padded shoulders. I have one right now at the tailors. I had the pads taken out and then went in for a fitting yesterday. The shoulders were way too big, so they are taking them down. We will see how well that alteration comes out. If it works well, I may entrust more jackets to them for the procedure.

Like you, I also prefer a soft shoulder, but it can be harder to find. Look at that first pic, the vintage Morty Sills. That has a very structured shoulder, but it is barely 18, 18.5 inches. It is a tight fit, but I think that one works, depsite the harder shoulders. Whoever that was made for was almost identical to me in size, with a slightly smaller chest.

The cream suit is a Freeman's, so it was obviously MTM for someone. That jacket is actually a little big in the waist, but I am not touching it. The pants, however, were another story. I had to have them completely re-done. The original owner of that suit must have been a body builder with chicken legs. The pants have no hips and the legs are tight above the knee. It took massive work to get them to the point where I could wear them...and I am not hippy in any way.

I hear you on the 40's. I had this plan that I called "Operation 40." I was hitting the gym every day and doing alot of cardio in an effort to reduce the chest padding zone. But, like all good plans..."Operation 40" was replaced by "Operation Stoli," which is a much more enjoyable plan anyway.
smile.gif

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
I kind of feel the same way, MBreinin, but I also think it works well for you. You have an elegant, comfortable undertone to your outfits because of it. If I were you I might not change that even if I could.

I guess I might phrase it that they don't look too big; rather they look like an intentionally relaxed fit. You never look like you don't know what you're doing, which is key.

Very kind words, and I appreciate them!

Mike

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IST66
2-35.jpg

This last picture says everything. The stripe contrast between shirt and tie offset by the pocket square knock this right out of the park.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1926 will be ready tomorrow after 2 years of not having it. I also got a new stunning brand new Giorgio Armani suit today.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing that 1926 suit, Tibor. New GA? I thought you wore 100% vintage.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
this suit is just gorgeous .... anytime you post it i'll comment ... lol. as you said, you have broad shoulders, which seem pretty straight ... so it goes without saying that your shoulders will look built in suits. maybe going for minimal padding will help. also a really good tailor can take a half inch or so off each shoulder ... but typically the result wont be as drastic ... so you have to weigh the cost-benefit analysis. looks like we have very similar measurements ... 43 chest; 18.5 shoulders ... and i think the more natural/soft shoulder look fits me better because of my built shoulders. i've damn near given up on trying to get my chest to 40 or 41 ... lol.
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Yeah, my shoulders are very straight. As I go on and I learn what is going to work for me, and what isn't, my wardrobe is changing. I love those Chester Barrie era RLPL suits, and I have four of them, but they have some big ass padded shoulders. I have one right now at the tailors. I had the pads taken out and then went in for a fitting yesterday. The shoulders were way too big, so they are taking them down. We will see how well that alteration comes out. If it works well, I may entrust more jackets to them for the procedure. Like you, I also prefer a soft shoulder, but it can be harder to find. Look at that first pic, the vintage Morty Sills. That has a very structured shoulder, but it is barely 18, 18.5 inches. It is a tight fit, but I think that one works, depsite the harder shoulders. Whoever that was made for was almost identical to me in size, with a slightly smaller chest. The cream suit is a Freeman's, so it was obviously MTM for someone. That jacket is actually a little big in the waist, but I am not touching it. The pants, however, were another story. I had to have them completely re-done. The original owner of that suit must have been a body builder with chicken legs. The pants have no hips and the legs are tight above the knee. It took massive work to get them to the point where I could wear them...and I am not hippy in any way. I hear you on the 40's. I had this plan that I called "Operation 40." I was hitting the gym every day and doing alot of cardio in an effort to reduce the chest padding zone. But, like all good plans..."Operation 40" was replaced by "Operation Stoli," which is a much more enjoyable plan anyway.
smile.gif
Mike

What is involved in reducing a suit's shoulders? How much will a tailor be able to take in? Some of you may remember a pic of one of my suits in which nii comented that the shoulders were too big. I am happy with that suit's fit, except of course for the shoulders. By the way, I do not understand that suit's fit, because it is very slim, but extremely wide at the shoulders. Even though I am broad shouldered, it still big for me, so I cant imagine how it'll look on a scrawny model's body.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
What is involved in reducing a suit's shoulders? How much will a tailor be able to take in? Some of you may remember a pic of one of my suits in which nii comented that the shoulders were too big. I am happy with that suit's fit, except of course for the shoulders. By the way, I do not understand that suit's fit, because it is very slim, but extremely wide at the shoulders. Even though I am broad shouldered, it still big for me, so I cant imagine how it'll look on a scrawny model's body.

Honestly, I don't know. I know my tailor made some marks on the shoulders and off it went. We will see.

I am a real hands on person and I like to do my own work. I swear, one of these days I am going to get a good sewing machine and a book on Tailoring and learn. I have plenty of old stuff I could ruin in the name of learning alterations. LOL.

Mike

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Looking forward to seeing that 1926 suit, Tibor. New GA? I thought you wore 100% vintage.
Thank you Parker. Yes the suit is brand new but it looks straight out of the late 1930's. Its a black virgin wool cloth, with a gray chalk stripe, double breasted 6x2, very wide horizontal like peak lapels with the right amount of belly( not to much not to little), and a great amount of waist suppression. It drapes very, very well. I wear a lot of brand new clothes but it has to go with my vintage or bespoke hats. I would say 50% vintage 50% modern.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The nicest day we've had all summer.
wed3w.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
wed2q.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
Thank you Parker. Yes the suit is brand new but it looks straight out of the late 1930's. Its a black virgin wool cloth, with a gray chalk stripe, double breasted 6x2, very wide horizontal like peak lapels with the right amount of belly( not to much not to little), and a great amount of waist suppression. It drapes very, very well. I wear a lot of brand new clothes but it has to go with my vintage or bespoke hats. I would say 50% vintage 50% modern.

The couple Armani things I had always draped well. I'm not sure if it's the cut or the fabric, but the pants kept an especially great line.

MrChris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Some cashmere and marinella action...

CIMG0626.jpg

Killer jacket!

IST66 Interesting combination there, not something you see everyday. I think the shirt and tie works quite well together.

MBreinin - Great sports coats , no. 1-3. I think the third one has the best fit in the shoulder area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads