• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes boutiques negotiating on price?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also clarify for those reading this: this thread was neither intended as a joke nor to paint me as delusional. My philosophy is that I don't mind overpaying (as long as it's an item I can comfortably afford) but don't like leaving money on the table, so if discounts are to be had I want to make sure I take advantage of that. I was genuinely curious whether there was anything to the post I linked to (and if I could avail myself of it) but if it was a joke that just went over my head no big deal.

Grenadier

Reaction score

I seem to recall a post in the past about Hermes boutique SAs having the ability to negotiate on price. Is that the case and can someone either point me to the OP or tell me their experience (PM is fine)? Looking for a gift for GF and am curious whether that's a place that will haggle a bit, and if so who you need to be/name you need to drop/how much you need to have spent... THanks.

If you're value-conscious, then Hermès is not for you.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always been curious on how much money you have to spend at a boutique before they invite you to their private sale events. I always assumed that would be the only way to get discounts at such places...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a question of "value conscious" rather one of not posting more than you have to simply because you didn't know you could ask for a better price. I'm willing to pay retail (if I can afford it) when it's msrp our nothing but just like to know first.

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score
My guess is that, given the situation you are describing, Hermes wouldn't offer you a single penny's discount on your purchase. However, I think that, in general, people underestimate the potential for price negotiation, even in the case of illustrious brands (but I think the starting total needs to be significantly higher than the one for the items you're after.) I have heard multiple accounts of people negotiating a better price on Cartier jewelry, for example, even at the flagship store on Place Vendome in Paris.

Last edited:

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I would not dream of asking for a discount at an Hermès shop. The only one I have ever been to is the one in Paris but I would be surprised if this did not apply to all their shops.

If you were a billionaire, a member of a reigning house or a world-class “celebrity” you might ask them (through your butler, agent, local ambassador…) to shop there after hours with only your wives, mistresses, children and close friends but I do not know if that would mean discounted prices. If you were in that category, you probably would be indifferent to price anyway.

The only Hermès sale in France is just once a year (maybe twice but I do not think so) at the Palais des Congrès (Porte Maillot). It is fairly discreetly advertised in the press. They offer unsold stuff from the shops, perhaps things with a tiny imperfection (I believe you really have to look to find it). People line around the building before it opens…

There is no reason for Hermès to play the discount game. I once read an interview of their late chairman in which he said that, if they could not produce at the level of quality they want, whether for lack of materials or not enough qualified workers, they just did not produce. If they worry about supply of raw material (many of the suppliers are very specialized and very small), they purchase the supplier. They train their own workers (I think they have an employee-only stock distribution plan as an incentive to stay with the firm) and make most of what they sell themselves. They are a public but family-controlled company. Arnault, the chairman of LVMH, tried to buy Hermès or at least gain control, essentially by getting his banks to purchase shares under their names so he would not have to disclose his interest. The family fought back and he was fined by the French equivalent of the SEC.

Disclosure: I have a (very tiny) number of shares in Hermès so would prefer not to cheapen the brand or lower their margins!

A jeweller such as Cartier may be willing to discount unique or last season’s pieces which are not moving. It does not mean they will give a discount to anyone who asks or on all of their goods. That is my guess, anyway.

Frog in Suit

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My guess is that, given the situation you are describing, Hermes wouldn't offer you a single penny's discount on your purchase. However, I think that, in general, people underestimate the potential for price negotiation, even in the case of illustrious brands (but I think the starting total needs to be significantly higher than the one for the items you're after.) I have heard multiple accounts of people negotiating a better price on Cartier jewelry, for example, even at the flagship store on Place Vendome in Paris.

A jeweller such as Cartier may be willing to discount unique or last season’s pieces which are not moving. It does not mean they will give a discount to anyone who asks or on all of their goods. That is my guess, anyway.

Frog in Suit

I think that the biggest difference between Hermes and Cartier in this regard is that Cartier's own boutiques must compete with independent authorized dealers (particularly when it comes to time pieces), who do make a practice of negotiating on price. It's probably harder to get a discount on a Cartier watch from the company's own boutique than from an independent authorized dealer, but at the end of the day sometimes they probably give in.

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score

Frog in Suit

My understanding is that it is possible to obtain a discount even on a classic piece, but it needs to be sufficiently "big ticket".

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't worked for Hermes but I did work for Prada and I can tell you we sold boat loads of wallets everyday, in London's bond street. As a manager I would never normally think to authorize a discount on such a small purchase. Buying things from these stores may seem expensive to you but if they do, you really aren't a typical customer, it's really just not a big deal for them to sell even 10 wallets to you.

As a time pressed manager I may have given you 10% off to get you out of my face though, so you could be annoying and persistent with a manager, but is it worth the loss of dignity? For me it wouldn't be.

I would say if your dropping 5k+ you could probably get 10%

Even then you may not though. I was working at a very posh shop (won't say which but more high end than hermes) doing pinning for alterations for a salesman (I did sales as well but I could actually pin garments). I had this chap who was clearly some American CEO type, he bought 3 very expensive suits and lots of shirts and ties. When he got to the register he asked the sales guy very nicely if there was any discount he could get. The salesman looked at him literally like he was **** and said "discount? Discount?! Elton John gets discount! He buys everything in the store twice a year my friend! This shop clerk on $25000 per anum made this big shot feel like a loser.

Of course that was an outrageous response, about twenty minutes later we got a phone call with the guy wanting to talk to me. He asked if I just did the tailoring and I said no, then he said he'd like to deal with me in the future.

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

No discount as far as I know. However, if you are a regular customer, you can cut wait times for custom orders.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score

Even then you may not though. I was working at a very posh shop (won't say which but more high end than hermes) doing pinning for alterations for a salesman (I did sales as well but I could actually pin garments). I had this chap who was clearly some American CEO type, he bought 3 very expensive suits and lots of shirts and ties. When he got to the register he asked the sales guy very nicely if there was any discount he could get. The salesman looked at him literally like he was **** and said "discount? Discount?! Elton John gets discount! He buys everything in the store twice a year my friend! This shop clerk on $25000 per anum made this big shot feel like a loser.

Of course that was an outrageous response, about twenty minutes later we got a phone call with the guy wanting to talk to me. He asked if I just did the tailoring and I said no, then he said he'd like to deal with me in the future.

"Posher than Hermès" ??? I do not believe for one instant that such a thing exists :laugh:.

My -- limited -- experience of Hermès sales staff (only in Paris) is that they are unfailingly polite. Mind you, I do not make a habit of ruffling salesmen's feathers when I shop.

Frog in Suit

GITU

Reaction score
They won't even take a ******* picture of a tie, to confirm it's the right one, and email it to you, before they ship it to another store. Thanks NYC Hermes for helping out a Bostonian! Anyway, so I doubt this is true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads