• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heading to Thailand... need a tailor

saiyar1

Reaction score
Through searching I've found the following Bangkok tailors repeatedly mentioned:

Art's Tailor Thaniya

July Tailor

Perry Tailor

Rajawongse Tailors

I will probably be there in mid March of 2012. I want to commission a heather gray suit in a lighter wool for my wedding in the end of June. The Polo 2 cut from Ralph Lauren is perfect for me and I have one tailored the way I like it.

I will be in Bangkok for 3 days and then moving on to other places in Thailand. I was wondering if it's realistic to have them measure me up the day I get there and have a fitting done the next day, possibly on the third day, and then send me the suit in the mail after the adjustments. Although it's a tight timeline, I will bring my suit for them to basically copy and make minor adjustments from there.

As far as quality, I find the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label to be high enough quality for my needs. I would like to find someone that can replicate the cut and come decently close to the quality for the lowest price (for example, if it's not full canvas, but rather half canvas like I heard PRL is, that's fine). Which is the best of the above 4?

Does anyone know current pricing at these places. I found a ton of threads from 2006-2007, but a lot could have changed since then.

Thanks a lot.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a bit of a different world out there once you're actually in Bangkok. I had intentions of tracking down Rajawongse for a navy sportcoat, but I ended up going with an upscale tailoring store I was brought to from a Tuk Tuk. (Be warned, every single Tuk Tuk driver will try to take you for "armani suits", you will grow extremely tired of this). However, use your judgement, talk to the people there, choose a larger / upscale establishment, check the mannequins in the store, and you should be fine.

As for the process. I went in my first day in Bangkok. I was able to choose my fabric (I went with a nice medium-weight Wool/Cashmere blend) and discuss what I wanted on the sportcoat. Here is where I think you are going to run into less-than-optimal situations. I told them I wanted slim-fitting, high arm hole, very lightly padded shoulder, dual-vent, 2-button, working cuffs, horn/brown buttons. Right from the get-go they will try to force you into their house style (which conveniently for me happened to be a slim silhouette on the shorter side). They wanted to put navy blue buttons on the jacket (aka suit jacket), and didnt have any quality buttons, so the best I could do was grey buttons which came out nice anyways. Side vents were OK.

They took all of my measurements and told me to return the next day. I was surprised to come back the next day and see a largely unfinished jacket for my adjustments. (I assumed it would be finished and they would modify it). However, I told them I disliked their "house" cut of a very short jacket, so it was lengthened for me, they found my natural shoulder line to attach the sleeves, and took sleeve lengths & waist suppression.

The jacket could have been ready the next day, but I was due to be back in Bangkok the night before I flew home, so I told them to hang on to it and deliver it to my hotel. This created a problem since I couldnt have them rectify any last minute adjustments, but I wasn't that concerned as, after my haggling, I was able to snag the finished wool/cashmere jacket for just around $100 USD.

Now the negatives (that I had to suck up since I didn't have time for them to make adjustments due to my travel schedule).

Padded shoulders (completely ignored my request for light padding. Again, this is their house style, and it really was not a big deal to me)
Working Cuffs. (Total disaster here. They sewed the buttons on and sewed the sleeve shut. Had to bring this to my tailor to fix)
No lapel button-hole was put on and I didn't notice until I got home (Again, not a big deal, just had my tailor put one in).

Final verdict? Am I happy for $100 USD? Absolutely. They actually did a great job with the measurements and it fits really slim on me in all the right areas. The quality is nothing to be impressed over, but its not atrocious either. Only thing I'm not thrilled about is the fusing of the suit jacket isn't so hot so it leaves a little bit of "rippling" I suppose you call it in some areas, but I think I just need to have it pressed.

It was a fun venture, I got a great looking wool/cashmere navy sportcoat (which I desperately needed) that fits perfectly, all for $100. You cant find a deal like that OTR anywhere here without going polyester blend, let alone MTM with 2 fittings and customizations!

Have fun with it, maybe you will have even better results with those more experienced and reputable tailors. I just wanted to spend a few bucks and try out the process!

IMO, the shirt MTM stuff isn't worth it. You're better off (fabric and quality) going with Modern Tailor / Indochino / etc. online here in the US.

Where else are you travelling to in Thailand? I hope you are checking out Koh Samui / Koh Pha Ngan / Koh Tao! (My favorite). PS Stay away from Pattaya :D not even worth checking out

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot to answer your question. Sure, the timeframe is doable. But if you already have your perfect fitting suit, I think you're better off bringing that to a tailor around here or going through online outlets like Modern Tailor, MyTailor, Indochino. I get the vibe that most tailors in Thailand really aren't that skilled and its a great deal only if you don't know what you are talking about or aren't too picky. For example, I think if you started requesting half-canvassing vs. a fused suit or full -canvassed suit they would "yes yes yes" you to death and give you a fused suit. And by the time you paid and had it sent to the US you would be screwed.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the detailed post!

This is a big trip being planned by a graduate school classmate... so far she's suggested Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and finally end the trip in Ko Phi Phi. It's all up in the air though since everyone's making suggestions.

As far as some of the issues you had, I was hoping that bringing my best fitting suit will mitigate most of the problems. As you mentioned, I realize you have to be firm with what exactly you want. But I guess what better than the exact thing you want done, right?

Anyone else have advice? More specifically, I NEED to stick to the 2-3 day timeline, specifically get the measuring and one fitting done. If any othe four places (or any another place I missed) can best accomodate this, I'd like to know.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of the padding fetish in bkk and the risks of poor fusing, I suggest you go with Narin Couture who's made me a completely unpadded, unstructured coat that turned out very well. He was rated at the top on CNN a couple months back, but he does have a the usual 3rd world tailoring problems so be stern. I had a been a customer of his for some time but he might do it with you first time around. You can send any Thai tailor a suit that sorta fits you, in the mail, so when you arrive you can go straight to the basted fitting.

And if you're a first time visitior to thialand, skip Chiang Mai, everything you can do there is already available in the South and in bkk.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Through searching I've found the following Bangkok tailors repeatedly mentioned:
Art's Tailor Thaniya
July Tailor
Perry Tailor
Rajawongse Tailors
I will probably be there in mid March of 2012. I want to commission a heather gray suit in a lighter wool for my wedding in the end of June. The Polo 2 cut from Ralph Lauren is perfect for me and I have one tailored the way I like it.
I will be in Bangkok for 3 days and then moving on to other places in Thailand. I was wondering if it's realistic to have them measure me up the day I get there and have a fitting done the next day, possibly on the third day, and then send me the suit in the mail after the adjustments. Although it's a tight timeline, I will bring my suit for them to basically copy and make minor adjustments from there.
As far as quality, I find the Polo Ralph Lauren blue label to be high enough quality for my needs. I would like to find someone that can replicate the cut and come decently close to the quality for the lowest price (for example, if it's not full canvas, but rather half canvas like I heard PRL is, that's fine). Which is the best of the above 4?
Does anyone know current pricing at these places. I found a ton of threads from 2006-2007, but a lot could have changed since then.
Thanks a lot.

My experience (lengthy in the 70s/80s) was to give a pertfect fitting suit to copy. That is the way to do the turn around easily in Thailand. I never had problems that way. The input is a separate matter eg lining , material etc.

I suggest you go with Narin Couture who's made me a completely unpadded, unstructured coat that turned out very well. He was rated at the top on CNN a couple months back, but he does have a the usual 3rd world tailoring problems so be stern. I had a been a customer of his for some time but he might do it with you first time around. You can send any Thai tailor a suit that sorta fits you, in the mail, so when you arrive you can go straight to the basted fitting.
And if you're a first time visitior to thialand, skip Chiang Mai, everything you can do there is already available in the South and in bkk.

I have thrifted a Narin suit and not bad quality.

Last edited:

saiyar1

Reaction score
How much are we talking about for a suit from Narin Couture? I know this depends on the fabric, but some idea would be nice.

mtoure80

Reaction score
Saiyar1 ... What did you decide??
I'm in the exact same boat... and looking for the same kind of suit...

I'm actually going to be in BKK for 4 days... and then HK for just over 3 days.

My original intention was to go to Raja's Fashion in BKK, but after all the comments I'm not so sure anymore. Some of my class mates who swear by that shop though.

Recently I stumbled across this shop "Tailor on Ten" www.tailoronten.com ... they look interesting, but are brand new.

So i'm leaning towards Narin for a suit and blazer + slacks...

I also want shirts... But since I'm going to HK, I'm debating on having them done at Jantzen.

Or should I just do everything in HK?

Also... I'm looking to buy an automatic watch ... Any suggestions as to where I can get a good deal in HK? (New or slightly used)

saiyar1

Reaction score

Saiyar1 ... What did you decide??
I'm in the exact same boat... and looking for the same kind of suit...
I'm actually going to be in BKK for 4 days... and then HK for just over 3 days.
My original intention was to go to Raja's Fashion in BKK, but after all the comments I'm not so sure anymore. Some of my class mates who swear by that shop though.
Recently I stumbled across this shop "Tailor on Ten" www.tailoronten.com ... they look interesting, but are brand new.
So i'm leaning towards Narin for a suit and blazer + slacks...
I also want shirts... But since I'm going to HK, I'm debating on having them done at Jantzen.
Or should I just do everything in HK?
Also... I'm looking to buy an automatic watch ... Any suggestions as to where I can get a good deal in HK? (New or slightly used)

Well I haven't decided yet because I'm going in March but I'm still not sure. I contacted Narin since he has good reviews. He mentioned my 3 days in Bangkok wasn't enough to turn around a suit for a first fitting, but we may be able to copy my favorite suit. He was a little unclear but the bottom line seemed to be I'll bring a suit that fits best, get measured once, and hope for the best... Maybe he can turn around a suit for a fitting by the 3rd day if he's copying my old suit.

I would email all the guys you're interested in though and see what they say.

Don't know much about thr watches.

lcm890402

Reaction score
does anybody know where is the best tailor shop in Thainland Chiang Mai. i 'm looking for a tailor for suir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads