• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Lied on Your Resume?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never lied. Haven't even stretched the truth. OK, I rounded up on my GPA from 11.24 to 11.3 out of 12.
peepwall[1].gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have to lie, I'm a college student that has a 3.73 GPA, while going to school full time and at the same time I have been working full-time at my current employer for almost 5 years. And I have proof to back it all up. I personally, have no reason to lie, because I've, well, sacrificed part of my social life so I can do well in the future, and established a nice living for myself and prospective family.

Jon.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I don't have to lie, I'm a college student that has a 3.73 GPA, while going to school full time and at the same time I have been working full-time at my current employer for almost 5 years. And I have proof to back it all up. I personally, have no reason to lie, because I've, well, sacrificed part of my social life so I can do well in the future, and established a nice living for myself and prospective family.

Jon.

What are your friends in BA think of your sacrifice? Huh?
smile.gif

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I have never lied. I have heard of a lot of people lying though. I believe it is an extremely common practice since most people will never get caught. Many employers will not be pulling your transcripts or any hassle of that type.

In my case I think the main thing is to look at it as a marketing tool, which may mean packaging yourself in a certain way such as saying less about some things and more about others, but that definitely isn't lying. Bold faced lies about GPAs and stuff just strike me as really lame and I would never bother. My GPAs were always average, but I think people see that I have a variety of interesting experiences and a good education-- the rest is kind of up to me in the interview.

My experience has always been that connections matter a lot more than your resume anyways.

CitizenK

Reaction score
Not just no, but hell no!

In my line of work, if you can't walk the walk and talk the talk you will be found out very quickly...and shown the door!

Regards!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Not sure where is the line between that and "justifiably marketing" myself, though.

I meant it in the sense that I am uncomfortable couching things in the type out 'put it out there' language that is the standard in this field of writing. Not stretching the truth, but not being 'oh, shucks," either.

Regards,
Huntsman

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
How could you ever expect to get away with it? People are going to check your transcript and call your old employers. Aren't they? I just assumed this was common practice.
As far as I know, the only time an employer was attempted at being contacted is with the University I work at now, and none of the private companies I have interviewed or worked at.
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Alway check with a school if person graduated from named university. Always test his actual skills or request written works for actual review of his "talents". Never mind how smily and upbeat the candidate is at the interview. Cut the CRAP out.: No one cares about BS questions a la: "Where do you see your self in 5 years?". or "And what is your biggest weaknesses?" "Oh my biggest weakness is :"I am anal retenitve perfectionist who stays at work too late sir." As far as legislation is concern it should be absolutely illegal to fire a person just becasue he has been with a company for 25 years and makes too much and we can just hire colledge grad and pay him half. Or we need to have our stock go up 1/2 point so we lay off 2000 people.
It wouldn't be so hard to make a govt registry that maps your social security number to a university graduation date with major. Though, it should be optional and not mandatory for schools to implement it, however, I think it would be a in school's best interest as well as the employer. In most interviews I have had, they have been in 2 or 3 stages. Day 0: Phone screening for technical questions and resume inquiries. Day 1: Basic interview, where do you expect to be in 5 years.. yada yada. Day 2: Tour of office/plant, etc, paired with a technical test. Day 3: Role playing..... business scenarios of course. Not sure how much this helps though, at the last job I worked, the asian guys they hired couldn't program their ways out of cardboard boxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads