• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have You Ever Lied on Your Resume?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently anonymously advertised 2 very different jobs on Craigs list and received two VERY different resumes from the same person with different dates and all.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard:
People asking friends to pose as former bosses on reference list.
People asking friends who own a company to be their 10 year uninterrupted employment reference.
I have a friend who provides employment reference for himself posing as his-own former boss.
I have changed 3-4 jobs in my life and although I have pretty rare degree from EU University, NO ONE EVER bothered to ring up my alma mater and have a check about my degree. Perhaps, because I can fake to be such a pleasant person with such an honest laugh at the interview.

The whole hiring process in US is a joke that belongs to be on SNL.
P.S. The root of the problem is neither employer nor employee have any loyalty to each other and view each other as disposable items.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I recently anonymously advertised 2 very different jobs on Craigs list and received two VERY different resumes from the same person with different dates and all.

How did he do in the interviews?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I have heard:
People asking friends who own a company to be their 10 year uninterrupted employment reference.
I have a friend who provides employment reference for himself posing as his-own former boss.
I have changed 3-4 jobs in my life and although I have pretty rare degree from EU University, NO ONE EVER bothered to ring up my alma mater and have a check about my degree. Perhaps, because I can fake to be such a pleasant person with such an honest laugh at the interview.

P.S. The root of the problem is neither employer nor employee have any loyalty to each other and view each other as disposable items.

Better than the old days when the employee was disposable but viewed the employer as god.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was going to confront her in an email but figured that I had nothing to gain by doing so.

More fun to have two people ask her in for interviews on the same day. You could really yank her chain that way.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Depending on where I have interviewed, my MBA came from:
1. Yale
2. U of Michigan
3. Columbia
4. U of Chicago

If you did that more than a few years ago, the Yale reference would have tripped you up-- the School of Management didn't give MBAs until about 2001.

WSW

Reaction score

You should have asked the person to come in for interviews and scheduled them one after the other.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
If you did that more than a few years ago, the Yale reference would have tripped you up-- the School of Management didn't give MBAs until about 2001.

I'm an '03 grad
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Better than the old days when the employee was disposable but viewed the employer as god.
dbl post

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the old days as well as you do, my memory is not that good anymore. But I think employers in US universally feared for having too much reign on individual's life. Alas in 21 century, majority of Americans would say that it is good if business owner can fire anyone immediately for absolutely any reason. I view work-place relationships in a corporate world as very unhealthy and unfairly tilted in favor of employers

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard:

What's your suggestion for a better hiring process?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
What's your suggestion for a better hiring process?

Alway check with a school if person graduated from named university.
Always test his actual skills or request written works for actual review of his "talents".
Never mind how smily and upbeat the candidate is at the interview.

Cut the CRAP out.: No one cares about BS questions a la: "Where do you see your self in 5 years?".
or
"And what is your biggest weaknesses?" "Oh my biggest weakness is :"I am anal retenitve perfectionist who stays at work too late sir."

As far as legislation is concern it should be absolutely illegal to fire a person just becasue he has been with a company for 25 years and makes too much and we can just hire colledge grad and pay him half. Or we need to have our stock go up 1/2 point so we lay off 2000 people.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alway check with a school if person graduated from named university.
Always test his actual skills or request written works for actual review of his "talents".
Never mind how smily and upbeat the candidate is at the interview.

Cut the CRAP out.: No one cares about BS questions a la: "Where do you see your self in 5 years?".
or
"And what is your biggest weaknesses?" "Oh my biggest weakness is :"I am anal retenitve perfectionist who stays at work too late sir."

As far as legislation is concern it should be absolutely illegal to fire a person just becasue he has been with a company for 25 years and makes too much and we can just hire colledge grad and pay him half. Or we need to have our stock go up 1/2 point so we lay off 2000 people.

Any idea how much it would cost to implement your suggestions?

You think you can just call Yale and ask them if Joe Smith went to school there and the person picking up the phone will say "yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him in the cafeteria a couple of times."

Don't you think that people who do hiring have thought all of this through and have a reason for doing things the way they do them? Whether it be saving time and money or finding questions such as "where do you see yourself in 5 years" to be important?

Any idea what kind of privacy/work product/trade secret/etc. issues it would raise if you asked people for written work-product from previous jobs?

Any idea of the cost to create and administer the type of aptitude tests you are talking about - nevermind all the issues that such tests have vis-a-vis their correlation to job performance.

I mean, I really didn't think that the hiring process in American companies was that much of an issue to the point where someone would call it a joke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads