• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in Austin over the weekend and had a chance to check-out a few gun shops. The biggest surprise to me was the Kimber Solo, which had mostly sailed under my radar to date (maybe because I am not into 1911s). This is a very impressive pocket pistol indeed. I am now thinking I might need one as a companion to the new 6906.

Unregistered

Reaction score

Thanks you guys, I am leaning towards the Sig. That is, until I saw Ruger's first ever 1911.. :fu:

I still quite honestly think that the only production 1911 I'd ever buy is an STI.

Handling quite a few different 1911, they all rattle and feel imprecise - apart from the STI.

And at the price you can find the Spartan at, I don't see the reason for any other brands.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a shotgun guy but picked up a few handguns past month cos they all go bang!
62c2c911-2273-579e.jpg
62c2c911-2282-c242.jpg
62c2c911-2294-6d42.jpg
62c2c911-22b1-1d1d.jpg

Will add the rest in a few days.

Regards.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went to the range today and took my two favorite Smiths out for an airing -- my most excellent 1970 Model 41, and the 3566 Limited, a bizarre homologated 9mm (9x21.5 /.356 TSW).

gnatty, if I was in the market for a range-only 9mm, and was thinking Sig, I would really give the P210 strong, strong consideration, and though it is tire money, it is also accurate and quite stunning:

I do have a 9mm Colt, and do (well, did) shoot it, experiencing no problems that would beset me with concern at a range. Seen here with .45 and .22 friends:
Seen here
Nice collection Huntsman. I've regretted selling my Sig P210 back in the late 80s. It turned out to be the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll do some nicer staged pics with some 80s Soviet field gear, specs and maybe a review later - but I just needed to show-off for now. :icon_biggrin:

Fed Ex delivered this to me 90 minutes ago:

imgp6155.jpg

imgp6162s.jpg

imgp6148.jpg

lonestarteacher

Reaction score
Did you go by McBrides? That's kind of my humble home away from home it seems like. I love the 1911 platform, but it's not for everyone. If you like the Solo I'd advise you to check out the Kimber Aegis. They're pretty slick running machines. The only thing I'd caution with Kimbers is it seems their quality control isn't what it used to be so I'd get a used one, they're quality and they'll last longer than you will.

I was in Austin over the weekend and had a chance to check-out a few gun shops. The biggest surprise to me was the Kimber Solo, which had mostly sailed under my radar to date (maybe because I am not into 1911s). This is a very impressive pocket pistol indeed. I am now thinking I might need one as a companion to the new 6906.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I guess I really was bitten by the 5.45 bug this last: year:

Russian/Bulgarian RPK74 with 1P78 Kashtan scope
Bulgy SLR105 in AKS74 guise
Izhmash 109/Saiga 12 in AK74 guise
Tula AKS74U with Vortex Sparc scope

I just need a Tigr or NDM86 and I am done. Then I want to try puting together a clone of the new EF88 Austeyr ... once a few more prototype pics get leaked ;)

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm surprised you got to handle one, I can't seem to find a store that has one on the shelf.

McBrides had one for display purposes and about 60 on back-order.

I really need to get a membership at Impact Zone so we can do some rifle shooting together! I probably also should shoot handguns again before re-qualifying for my CHL at the end of this year - I think the last time I was at a handgun range was with you, last year!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McBride's in Austin brings back a lot of memories. I was very much a "regular" there when I lived in Austin. Some of my most cherished guns were purchased at McBride's. Jack McBride was a really nice guy. In those days the gun store was sort of an annex to his house. Met some interesting people there, including Bill Jordan, with whom I later became pretty good friends, Marine general McGhee (sp.?) and now largely forgotten gun writer Tom Hayes. Hayes seemed pretty ancient to me at the time although he would have been considerably younger than I am now. This all would have been about 42 years ago.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my Vortex Sparc sighted in (with the doubler attached) on my new krink:

I have a mate who just ordered an AWO Yugo M76 8mm sniper. I know there were a lot of issues with these last year (bad ORF receivers, lack of bullet guide, poor finish, etc) but I heard all issues have now been addressed. If his looks good, I might get one for myself.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love shooting, unfortunately I hate buying ammo.

I've promised myself I won't buy any firearms for the next year unless I also sell something - I want to concentrate on stockpiling ammo while it is cheap. It helps that I am now focused on 5.45 and 9mm, though I'll also get more .45 and 12G. And if I do buy an AUG, that will open me back up to 5.56 .....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads