• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting that someone posted a picture of a Kimber up top, as I was just about to ask whether anyone on here had first-hand experience with these handguns. I am thinking of picking up another 9 mm for a range gun, and these sure are fine looking guns. However, there's also a Sig Sauer I've got my eye on in that price range as well. I don't have a carry licence, and no intention of getting one, so these would be strictly for range purposes. Any recommendations?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a few months of checking out all the Ruger mk III / 22/45 / Browning Buckmark variations, I finally decided to lay down the extra cash and bought a S&W 617, which is the .22 I really wanted all along.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting that someone posted a picture of a Kimber up top, as I was just about to ask whether anyone on here had first-hand experience with these handguns. I am thinking of picking up another 9 mm for a range gun, and these sure are fine looking guns. However, there's also a Sig Sauer I've got my eye on in that price range as well. I don't have a carry licence, and no intention of getting one, so these would be strictly for range purposes. Any recommendations?

I would avoid getting any full- ("Government Model") size 1911 in 9mmP. It has been my experience--and that of several gunwise friends, including some very capable 1911-smiths--that it is difficult to get first-rate, "stake your life on it" functional reliability with one of these pistols in 9mm. It is much easier to tune a full-size 1911 in .45 ACP or .38 Super for excellent reliability.

I might mention that I have had a Colt "Elite IX"--a 9mm Gold Cup--for quite a few years and have put thousands of rounds through it. It's a very pleasant pistol to shoot, but despite its having been tweaked by a couple of good pistolsmiths, it's still not a gun I'd want to take to a fight.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I shot a modified Kimber Custom Eclipse for 2 years in competition and won a State championship with it. I also killed a few deer as well. I've heard good and bad things about Kimbers over the years but all the ones I've owned were excellent firearms. That includes 1911s as well as their rifles. I would def buy again if the right one came up for sale.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I'll echo JLibourel. Realizing you're taking this to the range and aren't relying on it for life and limb, I'd still recommend the Sig over the 1911 for a metal-framed 9mm. If you want an SA gun, consider the BHP. It sounds simplistic, but the 1911 really wasn't made for 9mm. If you must have a production-stock 1911 pattern 9mm, do some research on Para Ordnance. I am not entirely endorsing them because I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I know that they've been making 9mm 1911s for quite a while and maybe have a lot of the bugs worked out.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the range today and took my two favorite Smiths out for an airing -- my most excellent 1970 Model 41, and the 3566 Limited, a bizarre homologated 9mm (9x21.5 /.356 TSW).

gnatty, if I was in the market for a range-only 9mm, and was thinking Sig, I would really give the P210 strong, strong consideration, and though it is tire money, it is also accurate and quite stunning:

I do have a 9mm Colt, and do (well, did) shoot it, experiencing no problems that would beset me with concern at a range. Seen here with .45 and .22 friends:
Seen here

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that a SIG P210 is hard to beat. I have only ever shot one once--a P210-5--but I was mightily impressed. Don't know what they cost these days, but I'm sure it's steep!

The .356 TSW was a cartridge with a lot of potential. My Colt Elite IX has a spare barrel and magazine in .356 TSW. A great pity that the cartridge sank like a rock! In a high-capacity auto pistol it would have been just about unbeatable as a defensive cartridge. It always seemed more practical to me than the .357 SIG.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

By antique, do you mean legally antique, or do you just mean old? If the latter, the .45 caliber Lugers of which very few were made are reputedly worth around a million bucks.</p>

Good info. I'm mostly just interested in the really fine craftsmanship from pre-20th Century guns. I'm looking for the firearm equivalents of Stradivarius instruments. I've been watching lots of Pawn Stars and I really enjoy the gun segments. I'm trying to see more photos of really nice guns. The more intricate the better.

If anyone knows any good books with good pictures let me know.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, I am leaning towards the Sig. That is, until I saw Ruger's first ever 1911.. :fu:

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks you guys, I am leaning towards the Sig. That is, until I saw Ruger's first ever 1911.. :fu:

I have been searching for that Ruger SR1911 for past 2 months. Its on back order everywhere. Will get it the day it gets in stock:slayer:.

Regards.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
After a few months of checking out all the Ruger mk III / 22/45 / Browning Buckmark variations, I finally decided to lay down the extra cash and bought a S&W 617, which is the .22 I really wanted all along.

Nice! I never really like the Buckmark/Mk III lines of pistols, but really enjoy the 617, though mine is the old six-shot.

Agree that a SIG P210 is hard to beat. I have only ever shot one once--a P210-5--but I was mightily impressed. Don't know what they cost these days, but I'm sure it's steep!

The .356 TSW was a cartridge with a lot of potential. My Colt Elite IX has a spare barrel and magazine in .356 TSW. A great pity that the cartridge sank like a rock! In a high-capacity auto pistol it would have been just about unbeatable as a defensive cartridge. It always seemed more practical to me than the .357 SIG.

I have handled one, but never shot one. Seems like about 3k or so, which is not cheap at all.

I agree, the .357 Sig's fat case makes it rather less practical than the .356. Smith really didn't push them very strongly -- what, only the 3566 Limited, the Compact and the Stocking Dealer specials, plus that M940 revolver, were offered. Pretty sure the revolver needed moon clips, too, which you have to be in to.None of the oddball 9mm lengths really did well except, perhaps, .380. Nice that you have a pistol chambered for it! I need to send my Limited back to Smith to get a 9mm barrel, the ammo is scarce.

Quote:
Ah. When I get home I'll post pics of my two favorite antique firearms -- the ivory stocked Queen Anne dueling pistols at the Met, and one of Napoleon's shotguns (I forget if its in Cleveland or the Met). I particularly enjoy matched pairs of pistols from that era, but really have very little hope of buying a set, and so know too little.

Thanks you guys, I am leaning towards the Sig. That is, until I saw Ruger's first ever 1911..
ffffuuuu.gif

Ruger, by and large, makes a wide range of great firearms -- the only area I think they are awful at is semi-auto handguns (this mainly because I think they are incredibly, almost deliberately, ugly, but this certainly remedies that.

~ H

Unregistered

Reaction score
Waiting on my Glock 17 to get in for Production division IPSC :)

Yes I know it's a plastic gun. But I don't quite have the money for a 2011 open gun with the works to make it work reliably with major 9mm (+P++).

Still recovering from my SF B&S binge.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After nearly 9 months start-to-finish, SBR Tula 'Krinkov' AKS74U is nearly done!

Meanwhile, I've got this crazy idea about getting a Tittle III transferable select-fire Uzi or FNC next year instead of trading in my car for a new one. It would be a lot more fun and would be a far better investment.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think FN makes a civilian version of the SCAR in either calibers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads