Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Oh no I definitely reload although most of the gun manufacturers rag on it. Back in the day when I competed in rifle and pistol competition there would be no way I could maintain proficiency without the Dillon 650 workin' overtime. Ammo costs would have exceeded income. LOL! It's funny that you mentioned your only blown gun happened when using factory ammo. My only hand grenade experience happened using Gold Dot ammo in my now dead Colt Trooper. The barrel blew at the forcing cone and split the entire length of it. The frame was all cattywampus as well. I guess luck favored me that day. Didn't have a metal fragment in me and all my fingers were intact.

Anyway, yeah it would be great to catch up with you if you ever get out this way.

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Speaking of 1911, I picked up a Springfield Armory version of the Government Issue over the weekend. Fired 100 rounds through it that day. What an impressive handgun. Easily one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired. Talk about wow.

3. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Senior member

Just bought a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 as my daily carry during Massachusetts tax-free weekend. I have a Smith & Wesson SW1911PD (Commander Size) as my range gun. Looking to get a Lewis Machine & Tool Company CQB MRP Defender Model 16 5.56 sometime in the near future.

4. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Remington 870 Express extended magazine 18" barrel. (12 gauge) :slayer:

Just "getting into" guns. But if feels fun shooting off bird shot with this reliable pump action weapon! I am a small guy, and shooting 00 9 pellet buckshot listed at 1325 fps did not feel as miserable as people had me expecting.

Really would like to get a handgun. But wow, a very brief search and research shows me just how expensive this sport can be.

5. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

I'm not intimately familar with the differences between the MSAR STG556 and the Steyr AUG but I believe you are correct on the BHO and the FA being non-interchangeable. I have a friend whose dad owns a pre-89 black AUG ($$$!) and the two don't seem to match up when compared side-by-side.

Now that MSAR is gone, TPD is under the radar and Steyr USA have basically stopped making AUG A3s, I don't know what is a realistic option for a new AUG.

6. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Yup, at nearly $3k for a genuine A1 (pre-89), the AUG just isn't that special. It's one of a few rifles I have some nostalgia for - but not at that price! That is half-way towards a Tittle III FNC, which is far higher on my wish-list.

I ordered a 1P78 Kashtan 2.8 AK74 scope from Kalinka a few weeks ago and really hoping it will arrive soon! It's sorta the modern Russian equivalent of the ACOG, I guess.

7. suited

suited Senior member

I just can't get into the look of this firearm. Maybe it's the attached laser, but something about it just doesn't appeal to me. I might have purchased one other wise. I believe it's the only pocket, DA .380 with a manual safety, which some people like.

8. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

What's the most valuable antique gun? Excluding famous ones like John Wilkes Booth's pistol....Anybody have any guesses?

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Walker Colt revolvers have to be at the top of the list. They're kind of the grail of gun collectors in the US, at least.

Barely more than 1,000 produced, and pretty much all the surviving pieces have storied provenance from the mexican-american war and use in the frontier in texas. Not to mention it is a fucking black powder hand-cannon that was designed to take out horses as well men..

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Mmmmm I have fond memories of my early 80s AUG. Wish I still had that one laying around.

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

How's the trigger on the civy semi-only AUGs? The select-fire ones we had had an awful trigger!

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Coincidentally, I saw one advertised today in the L.A. Times. I believe bids were to start at $800K.

14. Dorian J.

Dorian J. Active Member

My two handguns - Ruger SR9 and Kimber 10mm. They look a bit dusty, I know. Time for a cleaning. The Kimber has a bit of custom work - mirrored finish with black details. 10mm is a fun cartridge to shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Finally got my new target rifle together: Remington XR-100 Rangemaster in .223 (my first and only .223). Took the stock of, hit it with 1500grit paper and lacquered it, then mounted a Bausch and Lomb Elite 4200 6-24x scope on it with Talley milled aluminum one-piece bases/rings. Since the rings/bases are one piece and have virtually no play, the rings were lapped in place before I mounted the scope. Harris bipod tops it off. First three shots touched at 100yds, right on the 6-ring at 8 o'clock. It sighted-in real quick after that. A friend of mine (who remains nameless and faceless), shooting it below.

[​IMG]

I keep thinking it'd be really sweet with an AWC can on it....but I should probably hold off and put that on a .308 I am considering for my next project -- at least that can go subsonic.
    By antique, do you mean legally antique, or do you just mean old? If the latter, the .45 caliber Lugers of which very few were made are reputedly worth around a million bucks.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011