Gun Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tiecollector, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

UGs. Really do miss that gun from time to time. We used to go to Buffalo Rock in Ottawa before it blew up and shoot up the junk yard with tracers. Lots of fun considering you could also rent about any machine gun you ever wanted to shoot too. My favorites were the American 180 and silenced H&K MP5. Ahh the good old days.

Picked up a Smith Governor last week. I'm not really sure why there seems to be so much debate as to whether or not these 410 multi caliber guns are useful tools for self defense is all about but hey whatever. IMO they would certainly work for that purpose. Personally I bought one to use as a general out in the field gun. With shot shells loaded up you can hunt small game at close range and it would certainly take care of any close encounter with venomous snakes. Load it up with 45 ACPs and you'll be covered for things like a feral dog getting stupid or any encounter with ill intending two legged critters. Oh wait, this gun is supposed to be a poor choice for personal defense. Huh what? I'm confused, it's a 45 ACP. Last I heard that was a really good caliber choice for PD. Last but not least the manual says you can load this thing up with 45 Long Colt +Ps. OK so that means I can load up some of those 325 grain Buffalo Bore bear killers in it. That round is more than adequate for anything with fangs and claws around here and I wouldn't think twice about using it on deer at close range. Oh and the last time I heard the 45 LC is another excellent caliber for PD.

OK enough of the snark. The cold hard truth is many people think because it's shoots a shotgun shell they have a shotgun for personal defense in this neat little package. Wrong. It's a handgun, not a riot 12 gauge. It shoots the smallest gauge shell that's readily available. Aint no choke to keep the pattern tight either.. Then there is problems with payload, velocity, energy and terminal ballistics as well. The effective range in a defensive situation using birdshot is literally arms length. Using buckshot or the PDX1 shells will get you out to the 21 foot range fairly well. After that no how no way. Forget slugs use 45 ammo instead. In closing once again I find myself saying it's not the gun that's the problem, it's the user. IMO all the bad rapping of the 410/45 revolvers stems from myth, misinformation or shear stupidity.

2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

^^ Agreed, if you want a shotgun -- buy a shotgun, not a handgun.

Personally I would rather have a S&W 629 or 686 over any S&W Governor/Taurus Judge. If you need to do pest control, there are snakeshot rounds available. You can also use 38 Spl/44 Spl loads for target plinking, or Magnum loads for more serious purposes. If only I could find a decent pre-lock revolver at a reasonable price .... :(

3. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

At my old house, I shot a LOT of water snakes with CCI shotshells in my .45 (Ruger P90) - functioned flawlessly and always cycled the next round. This surprised me as I had previously heard that shotshells often won't cycle an automatic. Fun times.

Lately I've been feeling a need for an FN Hi-Power .... even though I didn't really liked the thing when we used it in the amy. The Belgian-made, IMI-refinished Israeli HPs look good - has anyone inspected one in person?

4. suited

suited Senior member

I have my eyes on a USP compact in 9mm. I ended up getting rid of my Sig P220 and am looking to replace it with another quality piece. I've come to the conclusion that a full sized pistol is almost worthless to me since I could never carry it, and a smaller, concealable handgun can function just as good as a nightstand gun and can also be carried.

Since my introduction to public transportation (florida's tri-rail) I have never been so glad I have a license to carry. There was a small incident last week that will never have me carrying without a round in the chamber again.

5. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

^

Sarco is selling Sig 229s for $275 right now.

I'm still very happy with my S&W 6269 trade-in, for a cheap compact DA 9mm.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Bought myself one of these Saturday. Was looking for another 9 mm for a range gun, and this one called out to me..

[​IMG]

Anyone have any experience??

7. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Not with that model. But it's a Sig so it should be some smooth shooting.

8. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Man, I wish Sig didn't have so much hate for Southpaws!

I was planning to get a Kimber Solo when they become a little more available, so I can have a simple slip-in-the-pocket handgun for when I jog, walk the dog or mow the lawn or whatever and can't be arsed strapping-on the 6906 holster. However, my dad (who recently moved to CA) is offering to sell me back my Keltec P3AT (which runs like a sewing machine). Not as sexy as the Solo, but I can't really justify buying another pocket pistol when I have one that functions perfectly.

So, now I am thinking of getting a CZ85 Combat, just for fun and range shooting.

I really need to try to get back into handguns - while it is fun building and shooting rifles, I just don't have the time to get out to the rifle range often enough to enjoy them.

9. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I just picked up a Glock 23 . I don't know what I think about it. I put 50 rounds down range and it just hasn't clicked with me.

My daughter who is 8 years old loves shooting and I am picking her up a cricket for Christmas. Does anyone know of anything similar in a semi-auto. She only weighs 40 pounds and is 49.5 inches tall. She's tiny. So if the rifle is to heavy she has problems at an in door range. Any help would be appreciated.

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

11. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Justin that video is hilarious, his range idiot song is pretty funny also.

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

It would be funnier still if I didn't relate so much to it!

I'm still working on how I can hide an AUG purchase from the missus and saying I should find time to shoot the rifles already in the safe.

13. Mute

Mute Senior member

Tell her it's a medical condition.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just picked up a nice shooter grade Diamondback in .22LR, 6" barrel. Dirt cheap! Will post pics once I get some decent grips on it.

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

What a nifty find, especially if you got it "dirt cheap"! Your taste in handguns seems quite similar to mine.