• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
The field boot just obliterated the back of my foot. Suggesting blister pads/bandages/blister tape/double socks for anybody also breaking in the field boot. Cool boot tho. View attachment 1836884 View attachment 1836885
How long did you wear them for and did you walk a lot? I’ve had this happen with a pair of stiff vibergs I wore for too long before they were broken in

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1836903 View attachment 1836904 View attachment 1836905 View attachment 1836906 View attachment 1836907
Hello. Wanted to share some pics of the Edward boot in Dark Oak. These were ordered in March, my first quality GYW purchase. I purchased another pair in Burgundy for the fall.

Username checks out!

The field boot just obliterated the back of my foot. Suggesting blister pads/bandages/blister tape/double socks for anybody also breaking in the field boot. Cool boot tho. View attachment 1836884 View attachment 1836885

The smaller size you took in the boot exacerbates the heel rub issue. This happens on my whole-size-down-from-brannock pair of Brass Boots which otherwise fits very well.

@Moostyle
Leather laces aren't meant to be pretty. They're badass.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My RW 1907 did that to me too. Now that they are broken in I no longer get a blister and they are comfortable.
Boots should NOT require a painful break in period, if they fit right to begin with....that being said, My Iron Rangers, correct size, beat the crap out of me for a month or so....:)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pair of Dune CXL diesel boots from a few years ago, that are much darker than when new, but all boots wind up some shade of brown eventually.....
IMG_2013.JPG

lfzhao5

Reaction score
My grant stone also beat the crab out of me, took a very long time to "break in"

I still think it's a last vs my foot issue. I have wide foot in the front and arches but narrow heel, so when I feel E width as good everywhere, it sucks against the heel.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grant stone also beat the crab out of me, took a very long time to "break in"

I still think it's a last vs my foot issue. I have wide foot in the front and arches but narrow heel, so when I feel E width as good everywhere, it sucks against the heel.
Funny, of all the boots I've ever had the only two brands who have been great out of the box have been Grant Stone and Alden....

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The field boot just obliterated the back of my foot. Suggesting blister pads/bandages/blister tape/double socks for anybody also breaking in the field boot. Cool boot tho.

My current GS rotation includes 1 chelsea (cxl), 2 travelers (cxl), 3 bluchers (cxl), 1 ottawa (grain), 1 captoe (cxl), 1 diesel (cxl). All 6.5D - down from 7.5C brannock.

All three bluchers destroyed my instep and heels but literally were good by the 3rd wear.

Chelsea & captoe had zero break-in whatsoever.

Travelers were brutal brutal at the instep but broke in fast. No heel issues.

The diesel was insane on my heel - my right heel would be red & swollen by the end of the day. Break in was very lengthy and to this day I will still feel some discomfort on my right heel.

The ottawa was out of this world - it ripped both of my heels to shreds and made my right instep bruise. If you've never experienced what that feels like, I pray you never do. After what seemed endless, ironically these feel better than the diesel now.

Going forward, I won't look at anything in grain anymore and am hesitant to go for anything not in cxl.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My RW 1907 did that to me too. Now that they are broken in I no longer get a blister and they are comfortable.

My RW Beckman was the worst break in I've ever experienced, period. Nothing from any other brand has even come close. This is what allows me to persevere over some of the more severe break in periods.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
My RW Beckman was the worst break in I've ever experienced, period. Nothing from any other brand has even come close. This is what allows me to persevere over some of the more severe break in periods.
My new RW 8859 moc toes are breaking in nicely with no issues. My GS, Trickers and Viberg broke in painlessly, but I have to say my Alden Indy boots were the most comfortable right out of the box.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long did you wear them for and did you walk a lot? I’ve had this happen with a pair of stiff vibergs I wore for too long before they were broken in
For clarification on a lot of questions it was both feet but I only showed the worse affected foot. That was my first wear and I wore them for 1 mile walk. I cut the walk way shorter then I usually do because of the pain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads