1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon Yao

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dragon8, Feb 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you want Napoli style suits, go to Naples or be prepared for disappointment.

i have heard from a little bird that the Japanese can do a neopolitan inspired tailoring quite well, and from some of the pic's i have seen in Mens EX and Mens Club they are pretty close. how they would in fact compare i dont know

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

i have heard from a little bird that the Japanese can do a neopolitan inspired tailoring quite well, and from some of the pic's i have seen in Mens EX and Mens Club they are pretty close. how they would in fact compare i dont know

Neapolitan inspired, yes. It will never be original.

3. luk-cha

dui le![​IMG]

4. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

For me, personally, I don't think at this stage in my life I can afford to get a handmade suit from Naples. Just as many go to Hong Kong to make suits, they know they cannot get savile row quality but they are still satisfied for the price they pay.

I like the soft construction from Naples because it complements my physique well and I don't expect to get the same quality in Hong Kong but if something similar i.e. soft shoulders or no padding and high arm holes can be had for one or two thirds the price of a real Neapolitan suit, wo jiu hen man zu le.

5. luk-cha

For me, personally, I don't think at this stage in my life I can afford to get a handmade suit from Naples. Just as many go to Hong Kong to make suits, they know they cannot get savile row quality but they are still satisfied for the price they pay.

I like the soft construction from Naples because it complements my physique well and I don't expect to get the same quality in Hong Kong but if something similar i.e. soft shoulders or no padding and high arm holes can be had for one or two thirds the price of a real Neapolitan suit, wo jiu hen man zu le.

na me, ni ke yi qu shi yi jian ba! ran hou zai shuo zenme yang! ru guo nni bu shi le, ni yi bei zi jiu bu hui zhi dao!

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

HEY! Bring that in English! [​IMG]

7. billiam

billiam Member

has anyone used Gordon Yao for shirts? how is the quality, and is the price range similar to Ascot Chang? I'm thinking of having a few shirts made at Ascot Chang so I have a "profile" there to facilitate future internet/mail orders, but am also thinking if I should try shirts with Yao as well. I'm thinking I will probably get a suit from Yao, but I'm wondering if its worth it to get some shirts there as well, or just stick with Chang (and some Jantzen thrown in).
    Thanks.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I don't think Yao makes shirts.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I don't think Yao makes shirts.

I remember seeing shirts there but he didn't ask about gettingshirts made and referred me to AC instead.

10. luk-cha

I remember seeing shirts there but he didn't ask about gettingshirts made and referred me to AC instead.

yes from what i have heard from other tailors this is the norm with GY, but cant be bad as AC is perhaps still the best shirt maker in HK! i have heard also they make for Broni too

11. luk-cha

has anyone used Gordon Yao for shirts? how is the quality, and is the price range similar to Ascot Chang? I'm thinking of having a few shirts made at Ascot Chang so I have a "profile" there to facilitate future internet/mail orders, but am also thinking if I should try shirts with Yao as well. I'm thinking I will probably get a suit from Yao, but I'm wondering if its worth it to get some shirts there as well, or just stick with Chang (and some Jantzen thrown in).
    Thanks.

i am not sure if AC does have or not a min order i seem to think he does!

12. Mute

Mute Senior member

i am not sure if AC does have or not a min order i seem to think he does!

This was several years ago, but in the Beverly Hills AC there was a three shirt minimum.

13. luk-cha

This was several years ago, but in the Beverly Hills AC there was a three shirt minimum.

i think in HK too

14. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

They have a minimum order of 3 but have gotten away with 2 shirts and at a time 1 shirt. If you are in HK go to the Peninsula shop and ask for Nelson. He's very friendly and accomadating.

15. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

fyi. Gordon will be in a number of cities across the U.S. from 2/6/08 to 24/6/08.

His mobile number while in the U.S. is (848) 468-0697 if you want to arrange an appointment.

16. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Got my first Gordon Yao Jacket today. It takes three months to make.
    Look great, except the sleeves may be little bit too long (1/8 inch).

17. AntonioG

AntonioG Well-Known Member

Can you please share a pic of your jacket? Thanks

18. warmpi

warmpi Senior member

so is Gordon Yao back in HK yet? I just graduated, and am vacationing in HK. might spoil myself with my first ever bespoke suit (of course I should really find a job first...)

19. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Probably. Your best bet is to email him at yaogordon [at] gmail.com. And make sure you keep your priorities straight. Your first bespoke suit before your first job. After all, what are you going to wear to interviews?

20. warmpi

warmpi Senior member

Maybe I can get him to give me the unemployed-student discount [​IMG]