• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon Gekko from "Wall Street"

Lydia

Reaction score
Contrast collars are cool.  I would wear them.  I just wish I didn't sweat so much (or live in such a hot climate) because white collars show dirt rather well.  I suppose traditional men's style doesn't allow for contrasting collars in colors other than white. Gekko looked pretty imposing in Wall Street and I think the contrast collars helped more than the suits.  Still, I was more impressed by Anakin Skywalker's recent getup.  It would suit me better.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I think in Flusser's latest book he had dressed up an Asian gentleman in a contrasting collar/cuff shirt and it looked terrific.

It did indeed, Kojii, although the aforementioned Mr. Flusser got in a bit of trouble for airbrushing "before" and "after" pictures. I thought all of that was funny given how often it's done nowadays.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always wondered why the old man in the pink tie looked like he had pink cheeks that'd make Tammy Fay Baker jealous.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I suppose traditional men's style doesn't allow for contrasting collars in colors other than white.

I've seen Brioni do some interesting things with non-white. In fact, I have a subtle pink with gray, white, and burgundy stripes.

BTW Lydia, sorry for the edit. Hit the wrong key...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose traditional men's style doesn't allow for contrasting collars in colors other than white.
I have a pink bodied shirt with white contrast collar/cuffs. But a friend of mine ordered a whitebodied shirt with pink collar/cuffs. So I am very curious to see how that one turns out.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who can forget the memorable speech:

"The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you."

Jon.

otis

Reaction score
Nice to see this topic, I'm relative new to the forum (discovered it in the NYT article last year), but have been meaning to do a search for posts on Gekko as I was sure he must have been covered before. Wall Street came out when I was 15 and Gekko was a huge style influence for me. I did not know that Kabbaz did the shirts, but I do remember an article in GQ soon after the movie came out about the famous horizontal striped shirt. There seems to be some misinformation on the wardrobe in the movie, I thought that Flusser did the suits, but on the dvd Oliver Stone refers to an Italian tailor who made them...

Another thing I have never figured out, is what kind of shoes Gekko wore - the white ones you can glimpse in the locker room and during his presentation in Bud's apartment.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There seems to be some misinformation on the wardrobe in the movie, I thought that Flusser did the suits, but on the dvd Oliver Stone refers to an Italian tailor who made them...
Flusser is a designer, not a tailor. His trademark pattern was designed in consultation with a tailor named Dominic Verdi, now deceased. Verdi used to do the fittings for a lot of Alan's early clients. I believe he cut and fitted "Gekko's" Flusser suits.

I always wondered why, if Alan got the contract to do that wardrobe, Morty Sills is the one who gets the plug in the script. Much bigger and more recognizable name, I suppose.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is our opinion of Mr. Gekko's style? I think it's hideous. Especially the contrast collar and suspenders. Then again, it was the 80s.
I like with collar/cuffs (only with striped shirts)

I like very much braces (i have 15 pairs)

But i would avoid wearing them in the same time, sounds too much.

So it would be a blue with collar/cuff shirt with a black leather and "steel" buckle belt
or
a white or blue shirt with braces.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
And since we're quoting some of my favorites from that movie: "Mr. Gekko...you're wife on line 2" *blows it off* "What else you got for me, pal?" "The key is capital reserves; without it you can't piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs" "Money never sleeps" "You need a friend? Â Get a dawg" "That's the one thing you have to remember about Wasps...they love animals, can't stand people" "Mixed emotions Buddy...like watching Larry Wildman drive off a cliff....in my new Maserati" "You got me into this mess, and you better get me out of it, otherwise the only job you'll have on this street is sweeping it" "What the hell is Cromwell doing giving lectures when his company is losing 25 mil a quarter? Â Probably talking about how to lose money. Â If he owned a funeral parlour no one would die. Â This turkey is totally brain dead. Â All right, Xmas is over, business is business, you dilute the sonuvabitch, Ollie, I want every orifice in his body flowing red." (as you can see I'm a big fan of this film)
sarcasm.gif
koji
Anyone else reminded of the scene in Boiler Room where the brokers are watching and quoting Wall Street? Great scene and great film that updates the broker image for the new millenium. Bradford

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(otis @ June 07 2005,13:09) There seems to be some misinformation on the wardrobe in the movie, I thought that Flusser did the suits, but on the dvd Oliver Stone refers to an Italian tailor who made them...
Flusser is a designer, not a tailor. Â His trademark pattern was designed in consultation with a tailor named Dominic Verdi, now deceased. Â Verdi used to do the fittings for a lot of Alan's early clients. Â I believe he cut and fitted "Gekko's" Flusser suits. I always wondered why, if Alan got the contract to do that wardrobe, Morty Sills is the one who gets the plug in the script. Â Much bigger and more recognizable name, I suppose.
I suppose it should be obvious, but Sills is defunct now? Back in the day, he was one of the usual suspects in Manhattan tailoring. Never screwed up my courage far enough to check him out.

drljva

Reaction score
I liked the scene in "21" where G.Gekko tells Fox, "don't come in here dressed like that again."
I loved that scene (and that line) too. But more importantly, I loved that tattersall shirt Douglas is wearing in that scene. Lovely stuff. That said, why does everyone seem to focus their remarks on the contrasting collar shirt?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Thracozaag @ June 07 2005,08:15) And since we're quoting some of my favorites from that movie: "Mr. Gekko...you're wife on line 2" *blows it off* "What else you got for me, pal?" "The key is capital reserves; without it you can't piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs" "Money never sleeps" "You need a friend? Get a dawg" "That's the one thing you have to remember about Wasps...they love animals, can't stand people" "Mixed emotions Buddy...like watching Larry Wildman drive off a cliff....in my new Maserati" "You got me into this mess, and you better get me out of it, otherwise the only job you'll have on this street is sweeping it" "What the hell is Cromwell doing giving lectures when his company is losing 25 mil a quarter? Probably talking about how to lose money. If he owned a funeral parlour no one would die. This turkey is totally brain dead. All right, Xmas is over, business is business, you dilute the sonuvabitch, Ollie, I want every orifice in his body flowing red." (as you can see I'm a big fan of this film)
sarcasm.gif
koji
Anyone else reminded of the scene in Boiler Room where the brokers are watching and quoting Wall Street? Great scene and great film that updates the broker image for the new millenium. Bradford
The guys in Boiler Room quoting Wall Street: Greg: "What's goin' on? I'm lookin' at 200,000 shares moved, pal. I wanna know if we're part of it? We'd better be, or I'm gonna come down and eat your lunch for ya. Back in two, Alex." Jim: "Look. I loved it at forty. Fifty? It's an insult. Their analysts? They don't know a preferred stock from livestock. They wait till it goes down, and like gumdrops and sperm counts..." Chris: "This is the kid. Calls me 59 days in a row. Wants to be a player. Oughta be a picture of you in the dictionary under 'Persistant', kid. Yeah? Now, listen, Jerry, I'm looking for negative control. Okay? No more than 30, 35 percent. Just enough to block anybody else's merger plans and find out from the inside if the books are cooked. Looks this good on paper, we're in the kill zone, pal. Lock and load. Lunch? Aw, You gotta be kidding. Lunch is for wimps. Okay, Fidel, I'll talk at you." Jon.

drljva

Reaction score
And since we're quoting some of my favorites from that movie: "Mr. Gekko...you're wife on line 2" *blows it off* "What else you got for me, pal?" "The key is capital reserves; without it you can't piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs" "Money never sleeps" "You need a friend? Â Get a dawg" "That's the one thing you have to remember about Wasps...they love animals, can't stand people" "Mixed emotions Buddy...like watching Larry Wildman drive off a cliff....in my new Maserati" "You got me into this mess, and you better get me out of it, otherwise the only job you'll have on this street is sweeping it" "What the hell is Cromwell doing giving lectures when his company is losing 25 mil a quarter? Â Probably talking about how to lose money. Â If he owned a funeral parlour no one would die. Â This turkey is totally brain dead. Â All right, Xmas is over, business is business, you dilute the sonuvabitch, Ollie, I want every orifice in his body flowing red." (as you can see I'm a big fan of this film)
sarcasm.gif
koji
And for the economists out there: "It's a zero sum game, pal. Somebody wins. Somebody loses. Money isn't made or lost, it's simply transferred, from one perception to another.......the illusion has become real. And the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it."
wink.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Thracozaag @ June 07 2005,08:15) And since we're quoting some of my favorites from that movie: "Mr. Gekko...you're wife on line 2" *blows it off* "What else you got for me, pal?" "The key is capital reserves; without it you can't piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs" "Money never sleeps" "You need a friend? Get a dawg" "That's the one thing you have to remember about Wasps...they love animals, can't stand people" "Mixed emotions Buddy...like watching Larry Wildman drive off a cliff....in my new Maserati" "You got me into this mess, and you better get me out of it, otherwise the only job you'll have on this street is sweeping it" "What the hell is Cromwell doing giving lectures when his company is losing 25 mil a quarter? Probably talking about how to lose money. If he owned a funeral parlour no one would die. This turkey is totally brain dead. All right, Xmas is over, business is business, you dilute the sonuvabitch, Ollie, I want every orifice in his body flowing red." (as you can see I'm a big fan of this film)
sarcasm.gif
koji
And for the economists out there: "It's a zero sum game, pal. Somebody wins. Somebody loses. Money isn't made or lost, it's simply transferred, from one perception to another.......the illusion has become real. And the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it."
wink.gif

"The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own." Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics