1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon Gekko from "Wall Street"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What is our opinion of Mr. Gekko's style? I think it's hideous. Especially the contrast collar and suspenders. Then again, it was the 80s.

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

I think I don't agree with you.

3. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

in webster's dictionary, next to the term "bad ass" is a pic of gordon gekko

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

grayson? is that you? presuming its not, ill voice my opinion....

i personally dont like contrasting collars on anyone anytime - just a personal preference, but know that a lot of people hold Gekko's shirts up as the finest work Kabbaz & Sons has ever yielded.

its basically impossible, from my limited knowledge anyhow, to to fault the fit...and certainly from what i hear, these are regarded as some of the most influential shirts to ever strike the menswear world.

5. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i didn't realize AK did the shirts.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Indeed, I thought that was well known.

Jon.

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I come firmly down on the side of both contrast collars and braces unless one lives in a place where people don't wear suits.

Neither harmonizes well with shirtless odd jackets or track suits.

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I don't like the contrasting collar either. I've even seen some at zootsuit that had bands of contrast at the edge of the collar (check out the stacy adams at the bottom): http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin....=&wf=25 Now, I AM a fan of the curved collar a la Pat Riley.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I heard that Alex didn't do the shirts, that Moses himself came down on a shining white cloud and outfitted Micheal Douglas for that movie. I'd like to see Alex Kabbaz prove otherwise. I heard this from Ghandi himself, and he said to me "Alex Kabbaz is a big weenie." Then we went out to "not eat dinner" and had some shots. Alex? Are you ever coming back? [​IMG]

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

it was either moses or grayson on that cloud

11. PHV

PHV Senior member

I still don't understand why people here idolize Gordon Gekko, a thief. To me people who love Gordon Gekko are slightly above the people who subscribe to the bling bling of Hip Hop.

12. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Smileyface aside, given the history of the subject of this thread, I regretfully fail to see the humor in your post ... nor do I get the point of your question. Perhaps it is the difference in our ages, so why don't you spell it out for an old man?

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Dear AK:

I suspect the original poster is unaware of the history of this thread, or rather the 2,879,678 threads on the same subject preceding it.

I also suspect that Tokyo Slim is making light of that onerous history and, he, like me, is your supporter and fan.

That said, I must say that I, too, subscribe to the Moses theory.  As the noted 50s TV psychic and failed actor Criswell says at the start of the immortal alien-invasion flick "Plan 9 from Outer Space,"

"Can you prove it didn't happen?"

The end.

PS  We know you made the shirts.

14. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

mack wrote: "That said, I must say that I, too, subscribe to the Moses theory. As the noted 50s TV psychic and failed actor Criswell says at the start of the immortal alien-invasion flick "Plan 9 from Outer Space,"

"Can you prove it didn't happen?"

I hope you realize just how ridiculous this statement of Criswell's (or Ed Wood's) really is. In other words, he's asking a person to do the impossible - prove a negative. Plus, he's shifting the burden of proof from the one making the outrageous claim to those who are skeptical and questioning the reality of it all. Ed Wood may have been tricky but he was obviously no student of debate or simple logical argument. Or, maybe he was and he was just trying to dupe the public again.

15. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Um, yes. That's what makes it funny.

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Please never mention that site again on the "Styleforum."

17. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

mack: I just don't think Ed Wood was funny. I loved the Johnny Depp movie. But, the real Wood's movies really were terrible. And, I'm not so sure he intended the joke you refer to as funny. In any event, it may be funny to laugh AT. But not to laugh WITH.

18. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

OK, you have to admit that all the other aesthetic aspects of the movie were all 80s-wack. Namely the music and Charlie Sheen's apartment decor.

19. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think his character, clothing, deeds to be disgusting. But then that was the point of the film -- though the devil's always attractive, isn't he?

20. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Gord Gekko was a thief because Oliver Stone wanted him to be a thief. He wrote the script so that he would be a thief and a betrayer of Bud Fox. The real Gord Gekkos -- the corporate raiders of the 1980s -- served a useful purpose in streamlining many companies or shutting down those who no longer could compete. Some of the real Gekkos were scum bags, some of them were just businessmen.

Now I know this is going to get me attacked simply because the employees of those firms paid the price with their jobs. I did (and continue to) sympathize with them but any seismic shift in the economy always impacts one group more disproportionally than others. Most of the time the forces behind these shifts are faceless, allowing us to rage at government, other countries or capitalism itself. In the 80s we were "lucky" enough to be able to blame the raiders because they were conspicuous in their role.

At any rate, I rather liked Gekko's look in the movie. If anything symbolized the 80s it was the suits, ties and shirts of Gekko.