1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon Gekko from "Wall Street"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 6, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(gorgekko @ June 10 2005,23:13) The answer to your question about Douglas and Jones can be answered by one of Tom Cruise's characters (Vanilla Sky), which used to be my tagline on this forum: "My father wrote about this in his book. Chapter 1... Page 1... Paragraph 1: What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?... Money." And now you know.
    Although, she doesn't sound like a very nice person. She told Vanity Fair that she weaned her son off of breast-feeding after a couple of months because she was tired of being a "milking machine."
    Sounds like a winner. [​IMG] Jon.

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I know those words are English but the sentence didn't make sense to me [​IMG] It's Hollywood math. Jones and Douglas are both stars. When you take two big stars and marry them, however, each person's fame is more than doubled and they become megastars. cf. Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. The math supports the Jones-Douglas coupling because they are megastars (though Douglas was already that). Why Jones ended up with Douglas specifically I can't explain. Perhaps they actually love each other. Nah.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

(esquire. @ June 10 2005,19:14) ...why catherine zeta-jones agreed to marry somebody that much older than her is still beyond my comprehension? sure, you've seen older men with younger women, but those men are usually very wealthy. but, catherine zeta jones has come into her own and become a legitimate movie star who can make millions for each movie....
    Rumor has it that she has had quite a makeover. She denies it, of course.
    Well, if that is an accurate transformation, I'd say her surgeon is a real artist.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

We did. However, once the enhancements were removed, the shirts would not fit properly ... at least not what I would call properly. And to take it waaaay back to the beginning, this is the first shirt I made in that style back in 1982 or 1983. It is the shirt which inspired the creation of the Gekko shirts in "Wall Street". [​IMG]

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I find this to be such a shallow question, and the answer that its about money is even more silly. If a good looking superstar celebrity marries another of that ilk we "understand" it even though its his 4th marriage and her 6th, assuming that they "fell in love" for the 4th and 6th time yet when a beautiful woman marries someone that isnt her exact age it must be after money. C'mon fellows, isnt the fact that they have been married for this long an indication that they might actually like each other? [​IMG]

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

(esquire. @ June 10 2005,22:14) there's a picture of michael douglas as gordon gekko on the cover of fortune magazine. is this an old picture or a new one specifically for the magazine? why catherine zeta-jones agreed to marry somebody that much older than her is still beyond my comprehension? sure, you've seen older men with younger women, but those men are usually very wealthy. but, catherine zeta jones has come into her own and become a legitimate movie star who can make millions for each movie. tom cruise is older than katie holmes, but he still looks great for somebody his age.
    I find this to be such a shallow question, and the answer that its about money is even more silly. If a good looking superstar celebrity marries another of that ilk we "understand" it even though its his 4th marriage and her 6th, assuming that they "fell in love" for the 4th and 6th time yet when a beautiful woman marries someone that isnt her exact age it must be after money. C'mon fellows, isnt the fact that they have been married for this long an indication that they might actually like each other? [​IMG]
    But is the behavior Trad?

7. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Ahh... That would explain why Ben Affleck is such a major star and got paid 15M for Gigli despite his track record of failing to carry a film by himself. First, Gwenyth Paltrow. Then, J. Lo. And, now, Jennifer Garner.

Tom Cruise's name by itself can carry a mediocre film past the 100M mark.

8. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Well, I'm sure that Catherine Zeta-Jones gets more money the longer she's married to Michael Douglas in any potential divorce settlement. And, that she'd get even more money and potential child support money if she bore him any children.

And, given, Michael Douglas' past infedility which he blamed on his addiction to sex, I'm sure there's also another clause where Catherine Zeta-Jones would receive a sizeable lump of cash if he cheats on her. Or, maybe, it was Catherine Zeta-Jones and counseling that finally put a stop to his behavior.

9. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

I like the way Gekko was dressed, regardless of who made the shirts (and, Alex, I know it was you). Terrific looking shirts and suits that really captured the Wall Street fashion sense of the time. I've always liked the look of the contrast collars, particularly in a business setting.

It will surprise no one who has read any of my posts that I adore the Gordon Gekko style (let's leave the morals out of it!). I wear contrasting collars and cuffs probably 40-50% of the time, and a good horizontal-striped dress shirt is high on my wish list right now, such as this Robert Talbott model:

http://hansensclothing.com/products/...hirt/2895.html

I love the brashness. I lived my young adulthood in the Eighties. I'll never disown that.

I also try not to pay too much attention to "out" / "in." Within reason, if I like it, it's "in."

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

What is our opinion of Mr. Gekko's style? I think it's hideous. Especially the contrast collar and suspenders. Then again, it was the 80s.
    My first and only thought is that the fashion is unworthy of thought or concern as it lacks true style.

11. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Holy thread revive, Batman.

I'm going to rent this film along with Stay just for the style. This makes for a good Foxworthy.

"You know you're a Style Forum member when you rent movies just to see the wardrobe."

12. royal618

royal618 Senior member

I vote "B". I don't have many of them, but I like the ones I have. Also, I have certain shirts that when the collars and cuffs finally give out, I will have them replaced with white. At least that's the plan now.

Indeed. I've certainly had a few done like this over the years. However, what's with buying them like this?

13. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Holy thread revive, Batman.

As a newbie, I searched a couple of topics that interest me and found this thread.

Gekko still has currency. "Gordon Gekko" seems to have become journalistic shorthand for the raiders of the Eighties, much referred to during recent corporate scandals. But even more tellingly, I hear Gekko mentioned frequently by young businessmen and sales sharks who look to Wall Street, and Glengarry Glen Ross, and the more recent Boiler Room, not as cautionary tales, but as inspirations.

Cautionary tales seldom really work, especially on film. You have to establish the glamor of whatever you are cautioning against, and it's the glamor that people take away.

What I took away from Wall Street was: "I want those shirts and suspenders!" Nearly twenty years later, I still do. There is staying power in image-making. [​IMG]

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I'm going to rent this film along with Stay just for the style.

STAY is a really good film for clothes watching. McGreggor wears some great outfits (all by thom browne) and Naomi Watts is her usual delicious self. The storyline is also really good, it's one of those flicks where you might want to rewatch it immediately to get some of the subtleties that will be more apparent after you watch the ending the first time. This is one of the few films I actually watched the commentaries.

and I'm in the camp that thinks G.Gekko doesnt look as good as he's trumped up to be, he's the very definition of costumey/affected, imo.

15. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

For what Gekko is, his wardrobe is perfect.

He certainly inspired me sartorially, although my tastes are now quite different.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Gekko in Wall Street was definitely an early inspiration. Back in the 80s, he just looked so in charge and glamorous - how could you NOT want to look that cool. While I wouldn't ape his style exactly and my tastes have evolved somewhat, I must admit I have drawn elements from it over the years. And I have a persistent fondness for slightly flashy items that probably stems very much from Gekko's look.

I still like contrast cuffs, I still like bold colours and combinations and I still like the, fundamentally sound, idea that your can project a certain aura by what you wear.

17. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Funny to see this thread come back to life, as today I'm wearing a shirt w/ white collar/cuffs with the following fabric:

[​IMG]

18. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I find the other aesthetic aspects of the film to be even more revolting, especially Charlie Sheen's apartment.

19. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

You do realize that in 20 years people who weren't alive today will be telling you that Nudie jeans and your aesthetic style were revolting?

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, I'm ready for history to judge me.