1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

I'm with clags, that jacket is awesome.

2. mothon

mothon Senior Member

I also think it looks great.

3. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

So... while cleaning up, in the proverbial bottom drawer I found the first 'real' tie I ever bought (as opposed to a few polyester disasters from my teenage years). It's a Charvet, bought during a trip to Paris around 20 years ago and typical of that era. Unfortunately.
    It has some sentimental value to me, and discarding it is out of the question. So I thought, I have two options: 1) put it back in that drawer and forget it again, or 2) ask the good fellas of the Noodles thread for advice on how to wear it. And thus, gentlemen, I ask you: can you give me tips on how to combine this thing in a somewhat tasteful or at least acceptable manner? Or should I resort to option 1?
    Your feedback is much appreciated!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

...I got nothing, EliodA. Worthy challenge, though.

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Pretend that it does not exist. I hate yellow ties and so does SF. BUT, I say keep it due to the fact that you have sentimental values.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

I like it. I want one like that and I would pair it with a Stowa Flieger. :D

7. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Option 1. I love a challenge but the best looks I could come up with in my head still look terrible with that tie.

8. EliodA

Thanks gentlemen, you've confirmed what I was thinking. The tie is back in the bottom drawer again, perhaps I'll have a look at it again in another 20 years [​IMG]

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Elio, give it a shot with a really sharp navy suit, white (or very light blue) shirt, black shoes. I am on the record with my dislike of yellow ties, but it's just another solid color. As Wongolini says, wear without care.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Burn.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

id pay to have that jacket replicated to a T. it would also have to be top level goods. heavy, solid, well constructed, perfection.
    i have a few such similar ties. there is no way around it, you could pair it with a very light blue shirt and a blue suit, and black shoes, but the tie will still be "bad" even if paired well. my engagement tie, wedding tie, and a few others, sit in the drawer with the rest of my ties, one i wear often, and when i see them, i smile. simply because they remind me of happy times. and for that, its worth it to keep them, for me. edit - zomg SB, twinz!

12. EliodA

Had to Google Wongolini, didn't know that's Phat Guido. Thanks for your suggestion, perhaps I'm gonna give it a try. Can't promise pics though. ;)

13. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

du, that's why SWD loved ToJ! :)

id pay to have that jacket replicated to a T. it would also have to be top level goods. heavy, solid, well constructed, perfection.
    /quote]

14. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

Not a fan of the shearling - looks very dated with that condor wingspan collar.

Yellow tie is definitely a nice sentimental piece, but I don't see it as being much more.

I'd consider chipping in on a Bane jacket for someone but you'd have to talk in the Bane voice for a full calendar year, no exceptions.

15. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

What I had in mind was a navy 3 piece suit or double breasted with pale blue shirt, in short, just trying to hide the tie.

I'll post my yellow ties too

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014