• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Fizik adaptive seat sucked, btw. I had to return it. It had no give in it whatsoever…I really have no idea what the point of the honeycomb construction is, then

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually broke a derailleur pulley last weekend. Fortunately, I was two doors down from home.

I replaced the pulleys last night while watching the Giro.

IMG_6815.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
broke a derailleur pulley

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to add one of those super efficient [and reasonably priced] OSP wheels.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 152216.png

But then if you go that route, you might as well go all out and add [also reasonably priced] ceramic wheel bearings, BB, OSPW system and an optimized chain!!! You could realize up to 10-15 watts of savings for a measly $3500!!

Screenshot 2024-05-16 153423.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 153619.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 153833.png

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally got the fancy bits I bought over the winter on the SB115 and took it for a ride around the lake.

Dropped a solid half pound in rotating weight despite going to 1 step more aggressive tires.
IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

Unfortunately I didn’t feel 100% so it’s hard to get a feel for whether I like the new setup.

Hopefully it’s a net positive though. I might also try putting one of the faster tires back on the rear and see if that’s the right balance of grip and speed.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been raining here in DC area for weeks. Finally cleared up and I knocked out 32 miles part urban, part Rock Creek Park. Stopped at Mile 20 for Vitus and avocado toast. Not like I'm training for the fecking Tour de France...

IMG_8315.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing the valves on the gravel bike (you may recall that one of the valve stems fractured, letting out the air and dumping me on the pavement). The amount of dried sealant on the beads offended my sensibilities, so a 15 minute job turned into 90 minutes of drudgery after I decided to scrape it off. Maybe it would have been fine, but I feared the beads wouldn't seal well if some of that residue got wedged in between the bead and wheel.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mystery flat. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what caused this flat?

This was on the front tire of my cyclocross bike. It was flat when I went to head out of a ride yesterday. The last ride I did on this bike was to pick the kids up after school on Friday, so pavement only.

The hole is on the inner center of the tube. The rim tape is in damaged…

IMG_6868.jpeg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rarely seen single fanged snake. Native to CO, I'm told.
snakeattack.png

speaking of snakes and bikes, i tried nudging this one off of the road on friday afternoon and it was not happy. it even struck my tire and then seemed confused at what happened. thankfully, the little rat snake went on its way and was safe.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for any MTBers here that do rolls down things that are best done in a controlled fashion...
There is a feature at a trail I have done a few times, a longish single granite slab that is rather steep and ends near some rocks and plants that should be avoided (so blasting down it is not advisable).
My Shimano MT501 are powerful enough to easily lock up even at speed but the finesse part, it makes it hard to roll down this. Last time I did it, I went down it a bit "ABS-y", locking up a bit. Local bike shop recommended upgrading to 4 piston brakes to give a little bit more progressiveness but I don't think it is worth the significant $$$ for a little more brake lever travel/feel.
No slack to adjust on the levers, no air in the lines as far as I can tell. Plenty of pad life.
What would you do? Just learn to be even more deliberate with braking or throw down a pile of $$$ for the possibility of little more progressiveness?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could try different pads if you're looking for more modulation--what do you have in there now?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babeef