1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kronik, Apr 30, 2009.

1. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

BMC's Alpenchallenge is nice. Cannondale also do a belt drive version of their Badboy hybrid, but I think it looks ugly with the lefty fork.

Boardman have just released a new range of hybrids, one of which has, I believe, Shimano Alfine Di2, not sure if they're available outside the UK though.

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^Thanks @JohnnyMarr. Those are good recommendations. I wish they used silver components. I wonder why black has become the standard for seatposts, stems, handlebars, cranks, etc.

3. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

Just brought home this Cervelo R3...very excited for the spring weather to come around.

20180105_131354.jpg

Last summer I purchased this Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon as I've wanted to get into cycling for years but thought my bulging discs wouldn't allow it so I went with the more upright style. Turns out I was able to get in 2 hour rides without much discomfort so I decided to transition to a road bike. Hoping someone will purchased the Specialized locally but not sure how hot the market is for higher end hybrid/fitness bikes.

20171008_152152.jpg

The only thing I'm looking for now is a used mountain bike for casual rides with my son (and family).

Didn't know this thread existed so hopefully will get some good ideas here!

4. emptym

This beautiful Nua is done! P1100195.jpg
    Way more pics of other on Nua website. And I'll post more of mine soon.

5. emptym

Some more pics:
    P1100196.jpg P1100235.jpg P1100228.jpg P1100221.jpg
    Should be here in a few days. Very excited. I had initially ordered it with a carbon fork, but decided to spring for the titanium for its durability/reliability. I'll switch the grips to Odi attack ones that I've used for a long time, add some fenders, and pedals.

My old bike served me well as a year-round commuter for 25 yrs. This one should be even more fun, require less maintenance, and will probably outlast me. Now I have two reasons to hope my son's about my size: my tailored clothes and this bike.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:45 PM

6. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Damn, that's pretty sick.

I've got a custom built cyclocross frame that I don't use... Kind of want to take it back to the builder and see if he can make it belt drive and add disc tabs

7. emptym

Thanks otc. The maker, Roberto, has such a good eye. Can't wait to get it on the road.

Who built your frame?

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

It is a fillet brazed steel frame from the guy at http://www.humbleframeworks.cc/ although it was done through through another guy who was sort of helping him get off the ground with an order of not-fully-custom frames. As such, I think mine used cheaper tubing in some spots than his standard builds. Unfortunately, it looks like he may have stopped operating as the prices and the last photo are from 2015.

If you scroll down enough, you can see a few of my frame's siblings. Mine was the only one built with multi-speed dropouts, so it would be kind of a shame to convert it back to something else...but it has literally just been sitting in my office for a couple of years (bike was stolen, but eventually the stripped frame was recovered).

Mine has has a 2-tone orange/glitter clear powdercoat job and the right dropouts/brazeons for derailleurs, but is pretty similar to these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. emptym

Wow, that sucks that it was stolen. Neat frame, and nice stuff on his site. His instagram seems to be recently updated.

Never had a bike stolen, but I'm afraid of it for this new one. Will probably get a kryptonite fahgetaboutit. Roberto put Hexlox on the bolts for components.

Ordered this rear taillight because it integrates a reflector, although I now read that it doesn't flash (apparently illegal in Germany and the Netherlands and may not be safer). Just need to figure out how to attach it to my seatpost bolt.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 8:25 AM