General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kronik, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

So my LBS can make up a pair of wheels for £960

DT Swiss 240 hubs
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    50mm full carbon rims

Not sure I can really beat that.

2. otc

otc Senior member

And if they are good at it...I'd rather have some good hand built wheels over mass market machine made wheels any day.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Dura Ace C35's should come in right around 1K GBP as well.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Yea - I think this dude is legit.

https://pages.rapha.cc/nl/builders-nl/sam-humpheson

Could be a winner.

I was also thinking of the Dura Ace 9000 C50s as I imagine they'll all be on sale pretty soon.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

thanks, it's a wilier izoard, custom painted matte forest green with gloss decals. Only decals now are down and headtubes, so it's nice and clean.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Finally getting around to replacing out stolen bikes (Ibis Mojo SL-R and two road bikes) with the insurance money. One of my local shops has a Mojo SL-R from a few years back that they never sold and they are willing to part with for a good price (~1/2 off) so I think I'm going to get it (have a deposit down on it now). I have some indecision over sticking with 26" and wondering if I should pony up for the Mojo 3 and 27.5 or Ripley (with 29s). This is complicated by the fact that my wife and I shared our old Mojo in a size smaller than I would normally do and the old SL-R I am looking at is a size L which my wife wouldn't be able to ride so she is likely to get a Ripley in Medium that I could also ride as a change of pace.

Question for any of your MTBers is whether I am going to regret sticking with a 26" bike or should pay up for a 27.5" Mojo 3.

7. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I...
    am...
    saddlesore...

OUCH!

8. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I'm no MTB master but I actually like riding a slightly smaller frame than one "my size". They are easier to handle in the rough sections as well as downhills. It's only on flat singletrack that my "real size" has the advantage

9. otc

otc Senior member

Stumbled across these photos of a favorite retro ride that was stolen on my birthday in 2009

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saddle is all wrong, but otherwise it was a perfect little around-campus steed.

10. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Does anyone have a favorite maker of belt-driven commuter bikes?

My basic but beloved Trek 850 that I've used for most of the past 25 yrs has again gotten to the point where it needs a complete overhaul. The frame has some rust too, so I'm thinking I'll get a new bike. For durability and low maintenance I'm leaning toward a titanium frame, belt drive, and internal hub, probably Alfine 8.

Nua Bikes makes perhaps the most beautiful ones I've seen, and the price is good for a mto bike. (I'd just get a stock frame.) I've looked at a lot of different makers (Seven, Black Sheep, Circa, Spot, Budnitz, Rivendell, Schindelhaur, Van Nicholas, etc.) -- actually probably every maker on Gates' website. So far, Nua has the best options, communication, and price. If anyone has a maker they'd recommend, I'd appreciate knowing it. Also, are there any questions I should be sure to ask the maker?

Here's a pic of a Nua that's about what I'd get, the main cosmetic difference being silver seatpost, stem and crank:
    P8040021__w1000_h650.jpg

Or this but with a cheaper black seat and no light: unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM

11. Wakefields

Wakefields Member

Canyon has a very nice urban model

12. otc

otc Senior member

I have only seen Spot out in the wild and they are real nice.

Can't decide how worth it it really is though. I have a fixie and a bike with a 2-speed kickback hub (which spends it's entire life locked outside) and they are pretty darn low maintenance. Sure, the chain gets ugly and gets a little noisy, but some oil touchups aren't hard.

Simply going to a good internal setup alleviates most maintenance. Titanium is nice, but steel will last a long time, especially if you opt for powder coating instead of delicate paint (and framesaver the inside). Carbon is an option too, although you can't throw it around much, so titanium is probably a good all around choice.

I still kind of want a belt drive thought...

13. emptym

Thanks @Wakefields. The Canyons are nice, but apparently sold out on their German site and they aren't listed at all on their US site. Wish they had silver components too. Why are so many bikes made with black components nowadays?

Thanks @otc. If Spot had a naked aluminum Apex or a white, gray, or blue version of the Ajax, with silver components, I'd get one of those. Schindelhaur uses silver components and has beautiful naked, white, or navy frames, but they're about the same price of a basic Nua, particularly the ones with disk brakes. I don't think I found a maker of steel, belt-driven bikes, except Budnitz, which seems to have gotten their designs from Black Sheep (which in turn borrowed from Marin and so forth) and was almost the same price for steel as Nua is for titanium. Mission Bicycle Co. makes a nice naked steel frame with internal hub, but no belt drive.

So I ended up paying a deposit to Nua today. The owner/builder, Roberto, was really patient in answering my questions and working with me to find some affordable and aesthetically pleasing options for components -- like Ritchey Classic silver stem and handlebar instead of expensive titanium ones or ugly (imo) black ones. It'll be expensive but I hope worth it. Theft is probably my main worry. Roberto suggested Hexlox for the wheels, seat and other components. And I'll probably get a NYC Kryptonite lock. I don't lock my bike outside overnight, so hopefully it'll be good with those measures.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM

14. emptym

A couple more pics of a gorgeous Nua:
    Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 12.05.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 12.05.16 AM.png

And my old Trek:
    IMG_1406.jpg