• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I kind of deducted my size Sherlock Holmes style between them arguing about it;) it seems that most if not all GG models run narrow so I guess I need at least an F width or maybe even G. They kept saying that loafers run big and I need a 1/2 size smaller but I doubt it since dean Girling confirmed the opposite when I asked him about sizing. All I know is I have a JL Holt in E UK 11 and a Carmina rain last wholecut loafer in E UK 11 so I’m quite surprised sizing is difficult for me with GG. Any thoughts/advice?

I’d probably go 11.5. Bc loafers don’t have lacing to hold the shoe in, the general rule is you can usually go a half size smaller on loafers (I assume that’s what they meant). Im size 11 in lobb / c&j, 11.5 eg / g&g (although loafers I prefer 11 which I assume the sales associates were trying to say).

Wait were you the one who was trying to order a st James in rioja? I have one listed in size 11.5. I have the westbury in rioja. I don’t wear oxfords enough to warrant having both. I’d obviously give you a styleforum discount.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d probably go 11.5. Bc loafers don’t have lacing to hold the shoe in, the general rule is you can usually go a half size smaller on loafers (I assume that’s what they meant). Im size 11 in lobb / c&j, 11.5 eg / g&g (although loafers I prefer 11 which I assume the sales associates were trying to say).

Wait were you the one who was trying to order a st James in rioja? I have one listed in size 11.5. I have the westbury in rioja. I don’t wear oxfords enough to warrant having both. I’d obviously give you a styleforum discount.

Yes I was also considering the St James in rioja at some point but you may refer to someone else but I think at this point I’d either go for the urban commando boot or a loafer - appreciate the offer though.

I understand what you mean in regards to the 1/2 size smaller for loafers i guess it makes sense. Even though that has never been my personal experience with other brands. Appreciate your input in sizing tough for sure.

rlsarthou

Reaction score
Yes, you should buy used G&G shoes from eBay or Style Forum. Wear these shoes until you determine your G&G size and then only then buy brand new G&G shoes. Sometimes you cannot really assess your fit until you wear shoes outside for a few hours. Buying brand new shoes to determine your fit you based on internet advice can be a costly adventure.

In addition to this, you can also try G&G's end of line sales.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t get enough of these every time for the past 3 years.

709F3D1C-C05A-4E1A-A333-4CD8254CF104.jpeg

gambit50

Reaction score
Yes I was also considering the St James in rioja at some point but you may refer to someone else but I think at this point I’d either go for the urban commando boot or a loafer - appreciate the offer though.

I understand what you mean in regards to the 1/2 size smaller for loafers i guess it makes sense. Even though that has never been my personal experience with other brands. Appreciate your input in sizing tough for sure.

Have an 11.5 loafer, St. Thomas, if you're interested.
PM if you like.

jcep

Reaction score
Long Shot Question for those with low arches and a Tentative GMTO Proposal or WTB

To anyone that experiences gaping in the mouth of KN14 lasts in E (normal) width sizes

1. Have you been able to address this without going bespoke?
2. If you've gone with an F width, did that eliminate or minimize the problem without resulting in another issue (i.e. heel slippage)?

I am currently wearing a normal UK 8.5 E width in G&G loafers and experience gaping in the mouth of the shoe and the NY showroom did not have any UK8.5 F in the KN14 lasts when I was there last so I didn't get a chance to try for myself. Further the attendant maintained that the UK8.5 F would result in heel slippage since the heel on the UK8.5F would be wider than that of the UK9F, which fit fairly ok but still showed some gaping/bowing.

I spoke to Dean about this and when he's in NY in November we will have a closer look to see if there's a way to minimize this through sizing as opposed to going bespoke, since that option is out of range for my discretionary budget, but in the spirit of being proactive I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences that they were willing to share.

Independent of the above, is anyone looking to do a GMTO or sell any of the below? I should have sizing sorted by Nov. 5 at the latest so would be happy to place an order any time after that.
1. Corniche : in a) Black Calf, b) any of the Darker Brown Calf colors (lightest: antique oak), or c) Mink or Mole Suede
2. Antibes: in a) Black Calf, b) any of the Darker Brown Calf colors (lightest: antique oak), or c) Mink or Mole Suede

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long Shot Question for those with low arches and a Tentative GMTO Proposal or WTB

To anyone that experiences gaping in the mouth of KN14 lasts in E (normal) width sizes

2. If you've gone with an F width, did that eliminate or minimize the problem without resulting in another issue (i.e. heel slippage)?

I am currently wearing a normal UK 8.5 E width in G&G loafers and experience gaping in the mouth of the shoe and the NY showroom did not have any UK8.5 F in the KN14 lasts when I was there last so I didn't get a chance to try for myself. Further the attendant maintained that the UK8.5 F would result in heel slippage since the heel on the UK8.5F would be wider than that of the UK9F, which fit fairly ok but still showed some gaping/bowing.

I spoke to Dean about this and when he's in NY in November we will have a closer look to see if there's a way to minimize this through sizing as opposed to going bespoke, since that option is out of range for my discretionary budget, but in the spirit of being proactive I was wondering if anyone had any advice/experiences that they were willing to share.

Independent of the above, is anyone looking to do a GMTO or sell any of the below? I should have sizing sorted by Nov. 5 at the latest so would be happy to place an order any time after that.
1. Corniche : in a) Black Calf, b) any of the Darker Brown Calf colors (lightest: antique oak), or c) Mink or Mole Suede
2. Antibes: in a) Black Calf, b) any of the Darker Brown Calf colors (lightest: antique oak), or c) Mink or Mole Suede
Regarding to "gaping", are you referring to issues as below?
0E395DEB-B6F1-4B92-A1D5-6E548484A52A.jpeg

iyorito

Reaction score

sir,

I would suggest the 8E or 8.5E but with 1)long stiffener inside to support the arch and 2) additional reverse heel counter in suede which would minimise the slippage. Should the joint or pinky seem to experience some pressure, that could be eased with 3) putting fittings on the lasts. Whilst we cannot reduce, we could add. Hence, even going MTO can get pretty close in terms of fit to bespoke with abovementioned tweaks.

In any case, Dean would be able to assess your size when he is in NY on the 7th and 8th of November. I hope I can be there as well. I need to renew my NYS driver's licence (depending on the availability of redemption ticket from Tokyo to JFK!).

Sincerely,

Masaichi Hasegawa

jcep

Reaction score
Regarding to "gaping", are you referring to issues as below?

Exactly. Although the gaping you have seems to be very close to your foot whereas in my case there's a space between the sides of the mouth of the shoe and my foot and it occurs on both sides - i.e. on both the inner and outer sides of the shoe, which results in a mouth that looks more like this <> than like this (). It becomes more pronounced throughout the day or after flying when my shoe expands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads