• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Mehra is excellent. I’ve ordered and received two pairs, which have both been great and have “a few” other items on order. ;)
Yes, I am interested but G&G has a trunk show coming to San Francisco at the end of next week. Since this would be my first G&G purchase, I would like to try them on and check out the fit before committing. Unsure until when I would have to commit.

Ooops, sry replied to the wrong message, I meant to reply to S K M.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They get better with wear and age... GTMO Walktons from Skoaktiebolaget, early 2016.

IMG_1083.JPG

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am interested but G&G has a trunk show coming to San Francisco at the end of next week. Since this would be my first G&G purchase, I would like to try them on and check out the fit before committing. Unsure until when I would have to commit.

Ooops, sry replied to the wrong message, I meant to reply to S K M.

Sure thing, check out the fit of the lasts (fortunately they fit the same across the lasts) and also if you like the tan hatch grain - and do let me know if you’d like to commitment after that :)

Cheers

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure thing, check out the fit of the lasts (fortunately they fit the same across the lasts) and also if you like the tan hatch grain - and do let me know if you’d like to commitment after that :)

Cheers
Wouldn't it be cool to use patina on the tan hatch grain? But I guess given the below paragraph (from Permanentstyle) not a good idea:
"Interestingly, shoes with a grain are among the hardest to patinate, because the leather has a treatment applied to make sure the (printed) grain is retained. The paint usually either sits on the surface (and therefore comes off fairly easily) or erodes the treatment and therefore causes separate problems. Worth avoiding. "

I am assuming nobody has any experience putting patina on grain?

Attachments

• tan hatch grain.png
    tan hatch grain.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 222

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool to use patina on the tan hatch grain? But I guess given the below paragraph (from Permanentstyle) not a good idea:
"Interestingly, shoes with a grain are among the hardest to patinate, because the leather has a treatment applied to make sure the (printed) grain is retained. The paint usually either sits on the surface (and therefore comes off fairly easily) or erodes the treatment and therefore causes separate problems. Worth avoiding. "

I am assuming nobody has any experience putting patina on grain?

I think a slight burnishing is fine, but personally I’m not into the overtly artistic burnishings and spit shines - but maybe that’s just me :)

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also missed out on most of the kudu GTMOs, thankfully jumped in on this. I'm still on the lookout of the cherry kudu Ishams that Skoak ran (I believe it was a few months before the Walktons). If anyone has these in 11E, let me know!

unprocessed

Reaction score
How do the G&G feel in comparison to the typical 65 last from AE? I know the recommendation is to go a half size down from AE, but how should I expect the G&G to actually feel with the width/instep/etc if an AE 65 fits me well?

papado

Reaction score
How do the G&G feel in comparison to the typical 65 last from AE? I know the recommendation is to go a half size down from AE, but how should I expect the G&G to actually feel with the width/instep/etc if an AE 65 fits me well?

G&G will be more close fitting but for the most part it should work--I'm 11D AE and wear 10.5E UK in G&G DG70 and MH71 lasts (have yet to purchase shoes on others yet but I expect them to be the same).

Adding more detail per original post: closer fitting heel and forefoot; I've found instep closes very well to the typical 'ideal'

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to the GG trunk show at Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco today and I must say I am more than disappointed. GG salesperson from NYC ( I think his name was John) was always talking over me and basically refused to sell me loafers and barely acknowledged me when I said - how about at least trying to order the Antibes RTW.

He also clearly did not know all the models names and him and the salesperson from the store kept arguing about the correct size for me. Only after I brought up that GG had offered me trial shoe at no cost they agreed but still kept talking weirdly confused about sizing. I also really was curious about the Urban Commando boot but they kept pushing me into a regular derby/ oxford that I did not want to buy - yes, easier to find my correct size maybe but most other RTW models I own JL, Tods, Santoni and CJ fit me fine in the standard width and configuration. Further he kept telling me the St. Thomas loafer is just a modified Joyce (which is the from the deco line) and it was pretty clear that had never heard of that shoe nor the Ellington model - kept telling me these are bespoke. Last but not least they quoted me $2,350 for an Urban Commando boot when the exact same configuration that I wanted is available from the Rake for $1,650 and and for sale on GG website for about 1,400 pounds. WTF !!! Of course initially the GG salesperson told me the MTO Urban Commando would be $3,000. Clearly they are catering to the rich and clueless here on West Coast. At least he offered me full bespoke at around $4,000 when it is clear that it is more than 5,000 pounds. If I start buying GG it will only be directly from them no matter if I had all the money in the world would I never buy from this confused bunch. Sad to to see this kind of performance from such a great shoe company.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to the GG trunk show at Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco today and I must say I am more than disappointed. GG salesperson from NYC ( I think his name was John) was always talking over me and basically refused to sell me loafers and barely acknowledged me when I said - how about at least trying to order the Antibes RTW.

He also clearly did not know all the models names and him and the salesperson from the store kept arguing about the correct size for me. Only after I brought up that GG had offered me trial shoe at no cost they agreed but still kept talking weirdly confused about sizing. I also really was curious about the Urban Commando boot but they kept pushing me into a regular derby/ oxford that I did not want to buy - yes, easier to find my correct size maybe but most other RTW models I own JL, Tods, Santoni and CJ fit me fine in the standard width and configuration. Further he kept telling me the St. Thomas loafer is just a modified Joyce (which is the from the deco line) and it was pretty clear that had never heard of that shoe nor the Ellington model - kept telling me these are bespoke. Last but not least they quoted me $2,350 for an Urban Commando boot when the exact same configuration that I wanted is available from the Rake for $1,650 and and for sale on GG website for about 1,400 pounds. WTF !!! Of course initially the GG salesperson told me the MTO Urban Commando would be $3,000. Clearly they are catering to the rich and clueless here on West Coast. At least he offered me full bespoke at around $4,000 when it is clear that it is more than 5,000 pounds. If I start buying GG it will only be directly from them no matter if I had all the money in the world would I never buy from this confused bunch. Sad to to see this kind of performance from such a great shoe company.
Sorry to hear all of this.
My only experience with them has been buying on Sale G&G’s ( stock models, of which i know sizing).
James at the SF store has always been extremely helpful.
Was there nobody from G&G present?
Sure fire way to damage your brand...

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all of this.
My only experience with them has been buying on Sale G&G’s ( stock models, of which i know sizing).
James at the SF store has always been extremely helpful.
Was there nobody from G&G present?
Sure fire way to damage your brand...
I forgot the name of the salesperson from Wikles and Bashford but the older guy from GG ( I think his name was John) was based out of NYC and he clearly was american - frankly the actual GG emploee seemed to have less of a clue than the guy from the store.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you sure the gentleman was actually from GG? John sounds like a made up name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads