• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

nmoore82

Reaction score
Man, I hate this time of the year... Just before I always seem to be financially responsible then... BAM!

A week later... BAM!

The weekend... BAM! BAM!! BAM!!!

My thoughts too. Knew my finances could well be taking another hit as soon as I read the email from G&G.

If I walk in there and see any size 9s in vintage rioja...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has been slow. It seems the recent changes and pricing had an impact, at least in this thread.

I can be honest and say that i have been looking at other options as well. While i still plan to buy GG shoes, it will be in a more planned and limited fashion. I have reached my GG limit this year, and expect a Hove & Oakham to arrive in a few month's time. It would be nice to see some GMTO ideas though, but those are near impossible to get going nowadays...

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm done with G&G. Quality to price ratio tipped in everyone else's favor

Sold my last pair last week. Not much to these EG ripoffs

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are a more fashion forward version of EG. But why are they more expensive?

GG lasts are really nice (haven't tried deco or GG06). But again that price bump and high hurdle for mto along with shoe tree requirement just annoyed me in principle. They are the worst value IMO next to alden calf and CJ Handgrade

Last edited:

Rincon

Reaction score

I'm done with G&G. Quality to price ratio tipped in everyone else's favor

Sold my last pair last week. Not much to these EG ripoffs

What brands deliver the same combination quality of leather, construction and sleek styling?

Others appear to exceed in one category or another but I havent seen any that hit at high level of all 3.

Id love to hear of other contenders though!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, if you can get 30% off on GG go for it. It's the same shoe for the 2013 price

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are a more fashion forward version of EG. But why are they more expensive?

I will concede that i did not recognize how much more expensive they were from EG, until i bothered to compare the prices. I do plan to get some EG soon though, the ebay pair i bought was not a great fit, so it set my confidence back a bit. I'm willing to give it another shot, with a proper MTO.

GG does hit my aesthetic sweet spot, i really like a lot of their models. I have only picked a handful of EGs that i really like in comparison so far...

Last edited:

jas0nt

Reaction score

What brands deliver the same combination quality of leather, construction and sleek styling?

Others appear to exceed in one category or another but I havent seen any that hit at high level of all 3.

Id love to hear of other contenders though!

I think Vass would tick off the first two, but in my opinion is no where as sleek as GG even with their U last, which is clearly their sleekest.

EG would tick off all three with the 888/82 last, and their prices are about 30% cheaper than GG at retail prices (deducting the shoe trees included with GG and comparing like for like shoes).

JL would also tick off all three but their prices are much dearer than GG to begin with.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish VASS was an option for me, their U last is an impossible fit for my wide feet. The rest of the lasts don't do it for me...

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What happened to the h width u last? I thought it looked great. I loss the vash

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads