• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flaxseed--whole? ground?

bobmcbob

Reaction score
If you're taking it for the oil, fish oil is better. Flax primarily contains the omega-3 ***** acid alpha-linolenic acid which is partly converted to EPA by the body, and virtually none is converted to DHA. The EPA created by taking Flax can have some of the same benefits as Fish oil. However, fish oil will more effectively raise blood levels of EPA, and fish oil includes DHA which has shown similar, and distinct benefits. Most of the studies on omega-3 fats are on fish oil. Even though flax is technically an omega-3, it simply can't do as much and to the degree that fish oil can. The flax marketers would like you to believe all omega-3 is the same. It's not.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually just leave the flaxseed whole and crunch on it. I have pretty strong teeth though (I regularly chew on ice). It probably works better to grind it fresh, but I'm just not going to that effort.

Reaction score
We have got this flax seed grinder and it works great now, though it took me a couple days to figure out how to work it. I don't really use it, but as far as I know, the other half does.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best to grind them in a coffee grinder right before you eat them. Pre-ground flaxseed is most likely already stale when you buy it, and the capsules are worthless unless you take 10 a day, which is what it would take to equal a tablespoon of the high lignan flax oil. I eat ground flaxseed in lowfat yogurt with blueberries. It's really good, the ground seeds taste like graham crackers.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobmcbob
If you're taking it for the oil, fish oil is better. Flax primarily contains the omega-3 ***** acid alpha-linolenic acid which is partly converted to EPA by the body, and virtually none is converted to DHA. The EPA created by taking Flax can have some of the same benefits as Fish oil. However, fish oil will more effectively raise blood levels of EPA, and fish oil includes DHA which has shown similar, and distinct benefits. Most of the studies on omega-3 fats are on fish oil. Even though flax is technically an omega-3, it simply can't do as much and to the degree that fish oil can. The flax marketers would like you to believe all omega-3 is the same. It's not.

Read the labels of the fish oil capsules you're taking. You might be surprised to find that it's half saturated fat. I know that I was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads