• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fish Oil, how much??

Kev07

Reaction score
i take 2 1000 mgcapsules a day from Spring Valley

I'd take more but I can't afford it

syracuse1976

Reaction score
I've been taking 3-4 capsules of 1000mg Fish Oil USP (includes 300 of EPA/DHA) most days. I am uncertain if I "should" take more. I'm 6'2''/240 and lift and walk about 4 days per week. There seems to be a slight increase in my focus, mood and resiliency, but it might be the placebo effect.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by syracuse1976
I've been taking 3-4 capsules of 1000mg Fish Oil USP (includes 300 of EPA/DHA) most days. I am uncertain if I "should" take more. I'm 6'2''/240 and lift and walk about 4 days per week. There seems to be a slight increase in my focus, mood and resiliency, but it might be the placebo effect.
I don't think it will hurt to take more, but also I'm not sure there will be any benefits from it. The only drawback is some extra calories and that is costs money. After all, it's only fat. BTW: I switched back to fish oil now and take 4 x 500mg capsules every morning. I also take multivitamins (with minerals) and vitamin C.

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Nicholas,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating fish these days. The difficultly is in eating enough--and the right kind and type of preparation--to obtain optimal amounts of Omega 3's. One would have to be very disciplined, moderately knowledgeable and adequately adventurous to do this successfully.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount depends on the benefits you are seeking.

For example, studies have shown that high amounts of EPA being taken daily can greatly benefit Crohn's disease patients. The amounts are somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.x grams...so that's around 12 normal 1000 microgram pills, I believe.

Personally, I eat a shitload of fish each day and take ~4 1000 microgram fish oil pills.

Nicholas

Reaction score
Nicholas,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating fish these days. The difficultly is in eating enough--and the right kind and type of preparation--to obtain optimal amounts of Omega 3's. One would have to be very disciplined, moderately knowledgeable and adequately adventurous to do this successfully.

Sure, I'm just somewhat surprised the large intake of supplements in general.

Below is an excerpt from a recent study (Mayo Clin Proc. 2008 Mar;83(3):324-32 ):

Although 2 meals of oily fish per week can provide 400 to 500 mg/d of DHA and EPA, secondary prevention patients and those with hypertriglyceridemia must use fish oil supplements if they are to reach 1 g/d and 3 to 4 g/d of DHA and EPA, respectively.
Now, 2 meals a week can't possibly be difficult for anyone to manage, and as noted the only ones suggested to take additional fish oil would be due for those with a coronary artery disease.
I would be vary of eating too much simply because of the downside effects.

rxcats

Reaction score
I take 2000-3000mg of Kirkland Signature (Costco) Omega-3 Fish Oil most days. I started about 5 weeks ago. Any saturated fat they contain, in my opinion, is insignificant. The DHA/EPA ratio is proper and they are USP verified. I don't know a better value.

I agree. I have been taking the Kirkland Signature Fish Oil 1000mg (omega-3 300mg) per capsule for many years. I keep increasing the dose. I now take 4 capsules twice daily with meals for a total of 2400mg of omega-3 ***** acids daily. I think I will stick with that dose. Never had any trouble with burping up fish taste, but I have heard that the freezer trick does help those that do. I used to take flax seed oil too, but didn't buy anymore when I last ran out. I think it is fine as an add-on, but it is no substitute; α-Linolenic acid conversion to EPA and DHA is quite poor.

Reefbreak

Reaction score
You need to take as much omega 3 as to offset the abnormal amount of omega 6 ***** acids that you eat in the average day. Because domesticated animals are fed grains, it makes their omega 6 to 3 ratio really high, leading to a deficiency in omega 3. So basically you need to take enough to bring the ratio towards 3:1 or as high as 1:1 (omega 6:3). Meaning that you need to take quite large doses (I personally take 9gm/day) depending on how much fat you eat and if those animals are fed grains or not.

- Jono

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reef,

so if I'm understanding you correctly, the more fat you eat, the more fish oil you need to take?

Reefbreak

Reaction score
syracuse: yes that's right 9 X 1000mg fish oil

robertorex: yes. the more omega 6 ***** acids you eat the more omega 3 you should supplement. Things like vegetable oils , nuts and grain fed meat are all quite high in omega 6, so the more of these you eat, the more fish oil you should take.

-Jono

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Fish oil does require a little bit of thinking, you should check your diet before buying your pills. Different brands have different ratios of EPH to DHA, so some will be better than others. Here in Korea, people have high EPH and low DHA in their diets, so almost nobody takes fish oil here, but many take DHA supplements/buy "DHA+" products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads