• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time bespoke with tailor in Berkeley, CA

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Western civilization was a mans world that pushed women into the home or women were given women's jobs. The late 60s and into the 70s was the big push for ER (equal rights) for women

This is good information, and timely.

Some factories didn't even have rest rooms for women until recently.

This would explain their low numbers in the WAYWRN thread.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some factories didn't even have rest rooms for women until recently. Some women understand suits a whole lot better than some men do.
Surely you are not speaking of the men who are Style Forum Gods. See below ... plus Spoo (my personal favorite).

Reincarnation.jpg

This split personality is hard on me. It's difficult being conservaliberaltive.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This split personality is hard on me. It's difficult being conservaliberaltive.

Hard on you? It took me half a minute or more to think I might know what conservaliberaltive means. So, which are you where?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have Zoltan at Advanced European Tailoring do my alterations and have been really happy with the results. I wondered from the threat title who in town might be doing bespoke suits. Now I'm curious how this story ends.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hard on you? It took me half a minute or more to think I might know what conservaliberaltive means. So, which are you where?
Well you see, the being at the bottom of that rendering of the circle of life is credited as being both Manton as well as yours truly. Manton is a rather well known conservative journalist and I am not. On the other hand I spent twenty five years calling the Berkeley Hills my place of residence. I still maintain a house there. Perhaps that answers your question without being too political. Politics are generally reserved for the Current Events forum.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have a house in the Berkeley Hills? Is it mostly empty? Can we have parties? Can Triple Rock have a permanent tap there?

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well you see, the being at the bottom of that rendering of the circle of life is credited as being both Manton as well as yours truly. Manton is a rather well known conservative journalist and I am not. On the other hand I spent twenty five years calling the Berkeley Hills my place of residence. I still maintain a house there. Perhaps that answers your question without being too political. Politics are generally reserved for the Current Events forum.

Yes, we are all influenced by out peers, but can be quite different.

Back to this threads intent, I doubt she would make what I would call a tailored suit or coat, but it could be very nice custom, or many type of mtm. If it going to be custom then it sounds like she has built up lots of skill and from that make a nice custom coat. If she follows some tailoring books, then it could edge into or towards a tailored garment. There are lots of men who work in factories making mens suits, but few of these men are tailors. Nor do they make tailored suits, they just make suits. Because there are few tailors today many young people assume that a suit is a tailored garment, and that is a false concept. Our world is loosing the word tailor, as it becomes to mean anything.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just remembering that Ellie had (perhaps still has) on display several tailored pieces for women. I once asked her if she made them and she ansered yes.

I'm in Berkeley today, perhaps I'll go have a conversation and report back.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. No. No. No.

Shame. The Forvm 10 year anniversary with a view of the Bay would have been quite nice.

You're right, Ellie made all those dresses, and says she went to a prestigious tailoring school in Iran, where she learned many styles of men's suiting. Her wall has at least one certificate or award, and she can get quite technical regarding interfacing, shoulder pads, shaping, cutting, etc. She's taken in shoulders and done a fantastic job, when no one else would even touch it. She described the process in detail, which involved opening up all sorts of seams, reshaping the arm opening, and either cutting or removing the pad & putting in another one.

Still, it would be nice to see pics of custom suits she's done.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is lots of middle eastern tailors, and if she is from there that really opens the door.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads