• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First corduroy suit, would brown or green be a better choice?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you unsure about a jacket? Is it perhaps a little wintry a fabric for your neck of the woods?
I just don't care for the look of corduroy except as trousers. Nothing more to it than that.

Why not? I can wear mine as separate so what difference does it make? I do that with my linen suits as well!
I’m a more casual and cold environment I think a cord suit works.
Sure! I'm not preventing you or anyone else from wearing a corduroy suit. I just don't think it's a very good material for a suit or a jacket. I think there are simply so many much better choices.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't care for the look of corduroy except as trousers. Nothing more to it than that.

Sure! I'm not preventing you or anyone else from wearing a corduroy suit. I just don't think it's a very good material for a suit or a jacket. I think there are simply so many much better choices.

As previously mentioned it will more be worn as separates. I do like flannel but cords are more what I can incorporate as a casual look in the line of work that I am in. To each their own!

Last edited:

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I have a dark olive corduroy suit (the heaviest fabric from Brisbane Moss) and it's one of my most used suits.
I've worn it with pique polos (grey, navy and mid-green), shirts (denim, western, OCBD) and roll necks (black or navy).

I rarely used the jacket separately because I like wearing a suit and given how casual corduroy is, it's possible to wear such a suit even in fairly relaxed environments.

Of course, it drapes worse than wool and the colour is likely to fade where there's more friction (elbows, cuffs). Nonetheless, a corduroy suit is incredibly versatile, only comparable to linen IMHO.

I also hesitated between dark brown and dark olive when I got this suit about five years ago. I think either colour works well. I will probably get a dark brown eventually. They key is to go for a dark fabric so it looks more urbane and modern and less rustic.

If you're planning to wear the jacket separately most of the time, then it's debatable if corduroy is the best option. When I'm wearing separates, I'm far more likely to go for tweed, an incredible 'casual' option that of course drapes far better than corduroy but isn't really suitable for suits (tweed suiting tends to be worsted and lose the sponguiness and softness of something like Harris tweed).

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned Dugdale corduroy suit I will most likely use it as separates
ddd6d170-3169-451b-9c04-894f0f65dd7e.jpeg
IMG_2110.png
d0027a6d-352a-4d5c-b015-db0c847e044d.jpeg
IMG_2079.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, don't see any jarring, and a well made buttonhole is always a joy to behold. Would agree though that a more rustic work could suit better the style.
Slightly off topic but many people here look at clothes or parts of clothing in isolation. People start threads asking which is the “best” chino without understanding that different styles of chino work with different outfits. The Milanese buttonhole must be the “best” buttonhole so why not request it on a country suit?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but many people here look at clothes or parts of clothing in isolation. People start threads asking which is the “best” chino without understanding that different styles of chino work with different outfits. The Milanese buttonhole must be the “best” buttonhole so why not request it on a country suit?

Clearly I misunderstood your comment, thought that the ellipsis would mean something negative.

Stswervus

Reaction score
I debated this heavily two years ago in reference to a blazer. I went with the dark green and love it. I wear it with jeans predominately as I like the casual/professorial look. Great for a day out with my girl strolling around Seattle and having lunch somewhere nice. Paired with Color 8 Alden's and a light grey sweater, and I'm all set. Possibly a cream color scarf. Good luck with the decision!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads