• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First corduroy suit, would brown or green be a better choice?

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Hi all,
I asked this in Menswear advice but only got two replies, let us see what you think.
i am considering getting a corduroy suit to wear both as a suit and separates for the coming autumn, and i am torn between getting a mid-to-dark brown one or a mid-to-dark green. I have an idea that a green corduroy suit will look a little slicker or more modern, especially at night, but a brown jacket would look better when worn without the matching pants. (Wearing a sport coat with jeans has been the subject of long debate, but it can have no better answer in my view than a brown cord jacket).

What do you all think?

krudsma

Reaction score
I got one a few years ago in a sort of cool, mushroomy brown that I love. Personally I think that would be more versatile than green.
See if you can get one with either touch of cashmere or elasticene, like 1 or 2%. Corduroy wears super stiff.

Attachments

• PXL_20230630_183354358.jpg
    PXL_20230630_183354358.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get both! A mid brown that kind of looks cognac, i. e. with a
reddish cast . Dark bottle green. I have a pair of bottle green cord slacks
that look great with tweed jackets. BTW, in my opinion corduroy does not
look "slick". Rather it's a more rustic or professorial image- that's a
contradiction. Nevertheless, both adjectives seem to apply.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A dark green would look fantastic, but brown would probably be more versatile. I have both brown and green sports coats in corduroy and they work really nice, but I would say the brown just has more options as green strongly clashes with blue which is a menswear staple.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Put the trousers you would wear with each jacket color and see which combinations work to achieve your expectations. Think it will be obvious which color to get.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote not getting a corduroy suit at all. A jacket, sure. Corduroy trousers, yes. But a suit? No. And I'm not all that sure about a jacket, frankly.

The jacket is actually quite a great look for an academic or country/rustic look. Or just because it looks really good.

Peter O'Toole agrees:

R.b1613301e26f0cea0601e880f556c6f1

And Arnold Schwarzenegger:

R.40570ad875bce92fe16bdf9f4a32b784

The biggest concern I have here is only that the green is often out of place in many men's wardrobes due to the dominance of blue in menswear. "Green and blue should never be seen without a colour between" is the minimum amount of isolation, and honestly, if green is in the outfit then blue shouldn't and vice versa - except in specified cases (and Black Watch Tartan looks like pajamas, fight me). This is especially troublesome as you cannot pair green with blue shirts, which means you're stuck with white, pale yellow, pale pink, etc.

Brown doesn't pair well with black, but besides that, it's quite versatile.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that all cotton, including corduroy, will wear and fade faster than wool. IMO I like the idea but wouldn’t spend a lot of money on a corduroy suit and I would choose a silhouette that will look better with age. Not too trim/sleek. Something more relaxed. I wouldn’t use corduroy for a “slick” or “modern” evening look (as you’re suggesting in your original post) as it won’t look good for that purpose for very many wears.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
contradiction
. Nevertheless, both adjectives seem to apply.
Bear in mind that all cotton, including corduroy, will wear and fade faster than wool. IMO I like the idea but wouldn’t spend a lot of money on a corduroy suit and I would choose a silhouette that will look better with age. Not too trim/sleek. Something more relaxed. I wouldn’t use corduroy for a “slick” or “modern” evening look (as you’re suggesting in your original post) as it won’t look good for that purpose for very many wears.

Yes, totally agreed about that: corduroy has that relaxed, rustic look that goes so well with tweeds.

I'm not so fond of a suit either: I would certainly wear cord trousers and jackets, but always as separates.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I think I would have no problems finding jackets or knitwear to wear woth the green trousers, it is trousers (other than gray) to wear woth the green jacket that's the problem.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
BTW, in my opinion corduroy does not

. I wouldn’t use corduroy for a “slick” or “modern” evening look (as you’re suggesting in your original post) as it won’t look good for that purpose for very many wears.
Maybe "slick" and "modern "were the wrong words to use! I just though maybe a dark green corduroy would look better at night time. I recently saw Jarvis Cocker perform in a navy corduroy suit and it didn't look rustic at all. (Perhaps a little professorial). While I think I would save navy for worsted in my own, much smaller, wardrobe, I thougjt the right shade of dark green might be a good compromise between navy and the full-country look of brown.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Bear in mind that all cotton, including corduroy, will wear and fade faster than wool. IMO I like the idea but wouldn’t spend a lot of money on a corduroy suit and I would choose a silhouette that will look better with age. Not too trim/sleek. Something more relaxed.....it won’t look good for that purpose for very many wears.
I was only ever going to get this RTW. Ithink a brown would stand up to wear better; when the knees go just wear the jacket, when the elbows go slap on the leather patches. These are a few I was looking at, most out if stock now since it's July:

This RL comes in both colours, and is sort of along the lines of what I'm thinking of, if it comes back in:

www.ralphlauren.com

Polo Soft Corduroy Suit Jacket

Ralph Lauren
www.ralphlauren.com
www.ralphlauren.com

https://editorialist.com/p/polo-soft-corduroy-suit-jacket-ralph-lauren/?color=snuff

There's also this cavour one which has matching pants, again if they restock:
cavour.co

Luxury Italian Cord Jacket

This soft Cavour Model 2 Jacket in a luxurious brown wale cord from Pontoglio features a soft shoulder, also known as a Spalla Camicia in Italian. Three roll two buttoning with rounded patch pockets and a wide lapel. The high armholes allow for good range of motion, and when you put on the...
cavour.co
cavour.co

Then this is a slightly cheaper version. Even more than the other green suits it looks like it would be great at night time but not so good as separates. It also looks like it has sligjtly structured shoulders, which would be less than ideal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads