• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First corduroy suit, would brown or green be a better choice?

smartie-pants

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a 3pc I commissioned a few years ago.

I opted for a 3pc for the versatility and don't regret it. The jacket is unstructured and the "cowboy pocket' trousers make for a very casual and relaxed fit.

The burgundy is beautiful in the daylight. IMG_4651.jpeg IMG_4652.jpeg IMG_4653.jpeg IMG_4654.jpeg IMG_4655.jpeg IMG_4650.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4649.jpeg
    IMG_4649.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 136

C MattssonJH

Reaction score
Put the trousers you would wear with each jacket color and see which combinations work to achieve your expectations. Think it will be obvious which color to get.
Hi all,
I asked this in Menswear advice but only got two replies, let us see what you think.
i am considering getting a corduroy suit to wear both as a suit and separates for the coming autumn, and i am torn between getting a mid-to-dark brown one or a mid-to-dark green. I have an idea that a green corduroy suit will look a little slicker or more modern, especially at night, but a brown jacket would look better when worn without the matching pants. (Wearing a sport coat with jeans has been the subject of long debate, but it can have no better answer in my view than a brown cord jacket).

What do you all think?
Recently I sold a client a light khaki Zegna fabric Cashco corduroy suit. Soft and supple - on sale it was a steal and he knew it. He bought it so he could use both pieces independently. I love the idea of either a darker green or the rich almost carmel color that is trending now. This depends on what color is most flattering on you however. You may be better in a true brown or a brighter green. All that said I have always been a fan of corduroy as long as you can own it when you wear it. There are clients that I would not sell on this idea!
Hi all,
I asked this in Menswear advice but only got two replies, let us see what you think.
i am considering getting a corduroy suit to wear both as a suit and separates for the coming autumn, and i am torn between getting a mid-to-dark brown one or a mid-to-dark green. I have an idea that a green corduroy suit will look a little slicker or more modern, especially at night, but a brown jacket would look better when worn without the matching pants. (Wearing a sport coat with jeans has been the subject of long debate, but it can have no better answer in my view than a brown cord jacket).

What do you all think?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to find all cotton corduroy without sheen. Prl used to have them but now they have stretch. I have a pair from spier and Mackay. Good quality I forgot which mill but still has the sheen.

darebear36

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a corduroy jacket in a darker brown color as a separate. Although I feel like browns are more for fall and greens might work better if worn throughout the year.

I also like thick ribbed corduroy, does anyone have thoughts on that in a jacket?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the buttonhole convo is interesting , i'm not really sure i agree about congruence ...

if it were not milanese but still handlaid would it be acceptable ? i'm not really sure i see the diff but ?

jdgershbein

Reaction score
When I think of corduroy, I think of hues and tones around the brown colorways. I have a deep brown (mocha) sports jacket from Zegna, sure to become one of my signature pieces during fall/winter. I used to have one in a lighter brown but was not crazy about the drape, so I donated it.

I am hunting for a few cord shackets—one in camel, the other in a rust/burnt orange shade—for the FW 2023. These colors pair well with a wide range of jeans and chinos. And, of course, they will go spectacularly with all of my BOOTS.

Last edited:

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What do you all think?

If you have to do a corduroy suit, from personal experience go with brown and save the green (and even navy) for the jackets. Shameless image reposting dump follows!

Eidos brown corduroy suit...

Eidos Corduroy Suit_Drakes Shirt_Fin Tie_Eidos Square_right.jpg Eidos Corduroy Suit_G&G Crompton_Pantherella socks_angle.jpg JMM Yves London_Eidos Corduroy Suit_Drakes Shirt_Fin Tie_Eidos Square.jpg Eidos Corduroy DB_Inglese yellow polo_PI square_JMM Altamont Lander_right closed.jpg G&G Rogers Suede_JF Socks_Eidos Corduroy DB.jpg

De Bonne Facture olive and Drake's navy jackets...

DBF Olive Jacket_DBF Pleated Tweed Trousers.jpg DBF Casual Jacket Corduroy_Hiking Trousers_Inis Meáin Tunic Avocado_TYT square_right.jpg
Drakes_Corduroy Blazer_Shirt_Tie_Square_open.jpg Drakes Games Day Blazer Corduroy_Drakes Square_IM Nostoc Tunic_mirror selfie.jpg

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
If you have to do a corduroy suit, from personal experience go with brown and save the green (and even navy) for the jackets. Shameless image reposting dump follows!

Eidos brown corduroy suit...

View attachment 2007721 View attachment 2007723 View attachment 2007725 View attachment 2007727 View attachment 2007729

De Bonne Facture olive and Drake's navy jackets...

View attachment 2007731 View attachment 2007733
View attachment 2007735 View attachment 2007737
That's a fantastic range of corduroy pieces! The first suit is the colour I think is most attractive, although I would go for single-breasted. If I was only getting a jacket this is definitely the colour I would go for, but for a suit I would be concerned about matching shoes. While it is almost dark enough that black shoes come back into the equation, I am afraid that some mid-brown shoes might be too light. Do youever find this a problem? You have some nice shoe pairings with it above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads