• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pnwprice

Reaction score
I think you nailed it. The strap sure looks like the one on the WLB. Thank You for the info.

It for sure is. I own one as well! Not sure why they don’t sell it as a stand alone. I much prefer it to the normal leather pad It’s so squeaky!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what do you guys do to condition, protect, or preserve the leather on your bags?

I've recently started using Obenauf's leather protector and rubbing that on the inside and outside of the leather about once a year just to make sure that the leather doesn't dry out and crack. But now I'm thinking this may be unnecessary or overkill.

I use Obenaufs HDLP but only on the top side of the leather, as most stuff will have a tough time soaking through the Talon Era suede underside. Yes it will darken a little (not a lot) but it’s the most recognized in terms of Filson leather conditioning & protecting, so much so that it is sold through Filson.com (or at least was). I’ve used Bickmore Bick 4 with no success, it wrinkles the Bridle leather. You have to take into account that Filson Bridle leather is mostly unlike any other leather on the market, and demands the right product & method. I rarely condition my leathers; maybe once a year and only where needed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a little trip to Sleepy Hollow NY this weekend to see the famous cemetery & Rockefeller Estate (Kykuit). Packed my Talon MTB and it performed masterfully as a one bag carry.
BDE6CA74-AD2E-436A-A623-008202CF9099.jpeg
F1F6ECB6-8344-403A-A819-449292196A65.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice OMG. MTB’s are nice, especially talon. I have one in tan if anyone is looking, as well as it’s little brother the STB in green and tan.

Thanks GZ. The MTB is currently my favorite Filson so far & I have you to thank for that

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new 48 hour duffel in my cart for $353, is that a decent deal?
Eh, it’s not a bad deal. It is a popular bag so it’s tough to find on deep discount. If I have any advice make sure you can return in case you aren’t happy with it for whatever reason.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone still questioned whether Filson has its own zipper making machines...

Gray Madden hasn’t been with Filson for over 2 years. This article was written over a year after the one you provided. As I said previously, YKK stated that they rarely give these zipper machines that they supplied Filson with.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
Gary Madden hasn’t been with Filson for over 2 years. This article was written over a year after the one you provided. As I said previously, YKK stated that they rarely give these zipper machines that they supplied Filson with.

They buy rolls of zipper and cut it at the factory, as opposed to manufacturing them there.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They buy rolls of zipper and cut it at the factory.

Says an article 18 months before the one I supplied, it also doesn’t mention that YKK supplied them with a rare machine, as seen in the article I provided.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Says an article 18 months before the one I supplied, it also doesn’t mention that YKK supplied them with a rare machine, as seen in the article I provided.
If you look back to when this was brought up, you will recall that I called customer service and it was verified. This article backed it up by referring to the rolls. Thought it was interesting.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Because Filson manufactures more than 70 percent of its product domestically, the zipper company YKK gave Filson its own zipper machine. YKK doesn’t do this very often. Its own brand is as prized as Filson’s. But Filson’s domestic response time to orders is as short as a single week and YKK couldn’t keep up. Instead they told Filson to crank out its own zippers. Which Filson did, and because they’re made of brass Whittaker herself said they should sweep up the floor beneath the machine each night and bring the tiny, chocolate-sprinkle-sized leavings from the zipper maker to a recycler. After a single busy day Filson will collect as much as a thousand dollars in recycled brass.”

Doesn’t sound like they’re just cutting the zippers. I do recall that you said you called Filson, but since no chat logs were posted here I have to take you at your word. Not saying you have to provide proof, but it sure helps research wise and aids with interpretation. Also as I stated many times in my dealings with Filson CS, I tend to not take their word at face value, as they’ve been very inaccurate in the past & sometimes contradictory.

This is what a YKK zipper machine looks like (CM6). It’s not very substantial in footprint.

E72892EE-8E47-49D8-855D-E48E674F8D1D.png

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
lol, that's an industrial sewing machine! notice the cut length of zippers lying to the right. its sewing the zipper to the leather. Zipper is manufactured in a long continuous strand. it is then cut to length, and keepers are attached at the ends. this determines the final length. it is sold in standard lengths to manufacturers. Filson uses a lot of it, they use 'custom' lengths. the rolls are provided and they cut them to length to use as they need fit. I have no idea what kind of machine YKK sent them to use. I do know that manufacturing a zipper is very complicated, you have to make the individual teeth which is an industrial process (go back to the thread, pretty involved) then they have to be attached to the tape, and the keepers and stops (also individually manufactured) are attached. its highly unIikely, but possible that YKK supplies Filson with a machine where all the teeth are fed into it and it assembles them onto the tape, what do I know? either way that is assembling, not manufacturing. I am only going by what ive read and what ive been told. personally, I'm satisfied with that, but feel free to dig deeper and get the whole story.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, that's an industrial sewing machine! notice the cut length of zippers lying to the right. its sewing the zipper to the leather. Zipper is manufactured in a long continuous strand. it is then cut to length, and keepers are attached at the ends. this determines the final length. it is sold in standard lengths to manufacturers. Filson uses a lot of it, they use 'custom' lengths. the rolls are provided and they cut them to length to use as they need fit. I have no idea what kind of machine YKK sent them to use. I do know that manufacturing a zipper is very complicated, you have to make the individual teeth which is an industrial process (go back to the thread, pretty involved) then they have to be attached to the tape, and the keepers and stops (also individually manufactured) are attached. its highly unIikely, but possible that YKK supplies Filson with a machine where all the teeth are fed into it and it assembles them onto the tape, what do I know? either way that is assembling, not manufacturing. I am only going by what ive read and what ive been told. personally, I'm satisfied with that, but feel free to dig deeper and get the whole story.
I haven’t read any of the articles, but your assessment makes sense, and supports the idea of a “custom cut” zipper. That customization must be the length not the teeth themselves. Presumably the actual teeth are cast before being glued (?) to the tape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads