• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bucky0486

Reaction score
So, what do you guys do to condition, protect, or preserve the leather on your bags?

I've recently started using Obenauf's leather protector and rubbing that on the inside and outside of the leather about once a year just to make sure that the leather doesn't dry out and crack. But now I'm thinking this may be unnecessary or overkill.

speedy611

Reaction score
T
So, what do you guys do to condition, protect, or preserve the leather on your bags?

I've recently started using Obenauf's leather protector and rubbing that on the inside and outside of the leather about once a year just to make sure that the leather doesn't dry out and crack. But now I'm thinking this may be unnecessary or overkill.
This question opens a can of worms. Do some searching through the history of this thread for a lot of very detailed discussion.
Paraphrasing - obenaufs is ok but may darken the leather. Many question the need to condition at all. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

soybean

Reaction score
Hello all! First time caller long time listener. Been using Filson Gear since the 1980’s. Recently been picking up some vintage bags due to the enabling of this thread. LOL.
Wondering if anyone recognizes this 256 bag? This is recent mfg. I realize but there is no white tag to confirm exactly what it is. I haven’t seen this style of padded strap before and the dust cover bag has me thinking it might be something from some kind of collaboration?
74996D00-FACE-4532-AF8D-F8278273A34A.jpeg
E5225239-2C92-49BE-B856-60D53B81B82C.jpeg
B7E66291-4B7E-439C-B24C-C6EFBD4D715F.jpeg
2B4F4ECB-E94F-4754-8863-CBCE01C9D3B5.jpeg
C5D9700E-B022-4CFE-9B82-E1CB711BCCE0.jpeg
33BD7982-75F1-4EC0-8B26-06F42298FA7E.jpeg

bucky0486

Reaction score
T

This question opens a can of worms. Do some searching through the history of this thread for a lot of very detailed discussion.
Paraphrasing - obenaufs is ok but may darken the leather. Many question the need to condition at all. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.
I've done the searching and, ooof, you're right that there are many opinions, most of which were from at least a few years ago. I don't suppose we would be able to get this group to come to a consensus on a topic like this 😜

It just seems to me like there is an answer to this question, but I guess it's just trial and error. The tough part is that I don't want the "error" portion...

pnwprice

Reaction score
Hello all! First time caller long time listener. Been using Filson Gear since the 1980’s. Recently been picking up some vintage bags due to the enabling of this thread. LOL.
Wondering if anyone recognizes this 256 bag? This is recent mfg. I realize but there is no white tag to confirm exactly what it is. I haven’t seen this style of padded strap before and the dust cover bag has me thinking it might be something from some kind of collaboration? View attachment 1197208View attachment 1197209View attachment 1197210View attachment 1197211View attachment 1197212View attachment 1197213

This is the strap and bag that typically come with the waterproof leather briefcase. Good score! Someone just goofed and put it with this one?

soybean

Reaction score
This is the strap and bag that typically come with the waterproof leather briefcase. Good score! Someone just goofed and put it with this one?
I think you nailed it. The strap sure looks like the one on the WLB. Thank You for the info.

pnwprice

Reaction score
I think you nailed it. The strap sure looks like the one on the WLB. Thank You for the info.

It for sure is. I own one as well! Not sure why they don’t sell it as a stand alone. I much prefer it to the normal leather pad It’s so squeaky!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use Obenaufs HDLP but only on the top side of the leather, as most stuff will have a tough time soaking through the Talon Era suede underside. Yes it will darken a little (not a lot) but it’s the most recognized in terms of Filson leather conditioning & protecting, so much so that it is sold through Filson.com (or at least was). I’ve used Bickmore Bick 4 with no success, it wrinkles the Bridle leather. You have to take into account that Filson Bridle leather is mostly unlike any other leather on the market, and demands the right product & method. I rarely condition my leathers; maybe once a year and only where needed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a little trip to Sleepy Hollow NY this weekend to see the famous cemetery & Rockefeller Estate (Kykuit). Packed my Talon MTB and it performed masterfully as a one bag carry.
BDE6CA74-AD2E-436A-A623-008202CF9099.jpeg
F1F6ECB6-8344-403A-A819-449292196A65.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice OMG. MTB’s are nice, especially talon. I have one in tan if anyone is looking, as well as it’s little brother the STB in green and tan.
Thanks GZ. The MTB is currently my favorite Filson so far & I have you to thank for that

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone still questioned whether Filson has its own zipper making machines...
Gray Madden hasn’t been with Filson for over 2 years. This article was written over a year after the one you provided. As I said previously, YKK stated that they rarely give these zipper machines that they supplied Filson with.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.