• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bucky0486

Reaction score
I thought the Pullman bag discount was interesting. If I remember correctly, it was pretty recent that they re-launched the Pullman bag. It must not have been as popular as they anticipated.

It sure is a good looking bag.

I take that back. It's already sold out.

qfise

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased small duffel from eBay that I am planning on using as carry on:

It looks very new for the bag that is from 2006 if I am reading this tag correctly. It surprises me that the leather looks very new - not like leather from the small duffle built in 2015 that I purchased and am planning on returning tomorrow.
Is this possible or it is fake?

GzStudio

Reaction score
very possible. I have yet to see a 'fake' tagged filson. I have a Talon (20+ year old) medium duffle, which is going to a good home, that has the original dark brown leather color.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can people who own either the non-zip tote or the zippered tote post pics/reviews? I see very few of them on instagram and really like them from the little info I've gathered. Seem like a worthy replacement for a 256 for me.

I've owned a 2003 YKK Era Otter Green 261. It packed very nicely but I never would dream for it to ever replace my 257. It's heavy in the hand when carrying a full load and cut into my hands some. No shoulder strap makes for an awkward carry style under heavy loads and the long straps forces you to carry it closer to the ground. For me it served me best as a hobby bag as it packs Bourbon bottles standing and fits both my cigar humidor and glassware case. I know @mgrennier will concur.
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello to all Filson fans!

As you can see I am the new member however I have been reading this thread for the past 2 weeks and am currently on page 870 so there is quite a bit left to read. The reason why I joined is because 4 weeks ago I was wondering around in NYC and stumbled upon Filson store. As I am from Sweden where Filson is not that popular I decided to go in. I left the store with the Original Briefcase 256 in Otter Green.
When I came back to the hotel room I wanted to learn more about the Filson and that is how I ended up in here :)
Since I really like quality built bags I have decided that my Filson bag collection won’t be a single bag so I will need some help from you guys.
I am planning on using the 256 mostly for work however I would need some bag that is carry-on size for planes. I would of course be open to some older Filson bags as well that are not produced any longer.
The plan for this bag is to be able to carry it on the plane, train, car, etc. for a couple of days long trip. I personally like MTB, small duffle and Pullman bags.

Thank you all for writing 1000+ pages :)

Welcome aboard mate ;) . Hope you've enjoyed your stay with us so far and welcome to the Filson family and more importantly to team d'OG (Otter Green owners club). I have the MTB and use it every week, so if you need any advice I'm the guy to ask.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some eBay listings worth mentioning:

Tan Talon 261 Zippered Tote:

Otter Green Talon Pullman:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased small duffel from eBay that I am planning on using as carry on:

It looks very new for the bag that is from 2006 if I am reading this tag correctly. It surprises me that the leather looks very new - not like leather from the small duffle built in 2015 that I purchased and am planning on returning tomorrow.
Is this possible or it is fake?
Welcome. I’m guessing you are in the UK? Me too.
The duffle looks fine to me. Seller is well rated and justifies his low use of the bag. The Filson logo tag is age correct and the ykk also right for the age. Hope it works out.

bucky0486

Reaction score
So, what do you guys do to condition, protect, or preserve the leather on your bags?

I've recently started using Obenauf's leather protector and rubbing that on the inside and outside of the leather about once a year just to make sure that the leather doesn't dry out and crack. But now I'm thinking this may be unnecessary or overkill.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T
So, what do you guys do to condition, protect, or preserve the leather on your bags?

I've recently started using Obenauf's leather protector and rubbing that on the inside and outside of the leather about once a year just to make sure that the leather doesn't dry out and crack. But now I'm thinking this may be unnecessary or overkill.
This question opens a can of worms. Do some searching through the history of this thread for a lot of very detailed discussion.
Paraphrasing - obenaufs is ok but may darken the leather. Many question the need to condition at all. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

soybean

Reaction score
Hello all! First time caller long time listener. Been using Filson Gear since the 1980’s. Recently been picking up some vintage bags due to the enabling of this thread. LOL.
Wondering if anyone recognizes this 256 bag? This is recent mfg. I realize but there is no white tag to confirm exactly what it is. I haven’t seen this style of padded strap before and the dust cover bag has me thinking it might be something from some kind of collaboration?
74996D00-FACE-4532-AF8D-F8278273A34A.jpeg
E5225239-2C92-49BE-B856-60D53B81B82C.jpeg
B7E66291-4B7E-439C-B24C-C6EFBD4D715F.jpeg
2B4F4ECB-E94F-4754-8863-CBCE01C9D3B5.jpeg
C5D9700E-B022-4CFE-9B82-E1CB711BCCE0.jpeg
33BD7982-75F1-4EC0-8B26-06F42298FA7E.jpeg

bucky0486

Reaction score
T

This question opens a can of worms. Do some searching through the history of this thread for a lot of very detailed discussion.
Paraphrasing - obenaufs is ok but may darken the leather. Many question the need to condition at all. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

I've done the searching and, ooof, you're right that there are many opinions, most of which were from at least a few years ago. I don't suppose we would be able to get this group to come to a consensus on a topic like this ?

It just seems to me like there is an answer to this question, but I guess it's just trial and error. The tough part is that I don't want the "error" portion...

pnwprice

Reaction score
Hello all! First time caller long time listener. Been using Filson Gear since the 1980’s. Recently been picking up some vintage bags due to the enabling of this thread. LOL.
Wondering if anyone recognizes this 256 bag? This is recent mfg. I realize but there is no white tag to confirm exactly what it is. I haven’t seen this style of padded strap before and the dust cover bag has me thinking it might be something from some kind of collaboration? View attachment 1197208 View attachment 1197209 View attachment 1197210 View attachment 1197211 View attachment 1197212 View attachment 1197213

This is the strap and bag that typically come with the waterproof leather briefcase. Good score! Someone just goofed and put it with this one?

soybean

Reaction score
This is the strap and bag that typically come with the waterproof leather briefcase. Good score! Someone just goofed and put it with this one?
I think you nailed it. The strap sure looks like the one on the WLB. Thank You for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads