• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you wanting/needing a 257....?
trying to decide if I should look at picking one up for a comparison standpoint - I do find that the 256 requires me to be very finite with what I carry and, since I travel so much, I basically have to take my "desktop" with me everywhere I go.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time you find one of these sweet 257s just text me - I may want a bit more room than the 256 gives me...

You got it. Too bad it sold already, that deal was as good if not better than my #257. I think you'll appreciate the extra room that the #257 offers, without the cost of too much bulk (like the #258)

GzStudio

Reaction score
trying to decide if I should look at picking one up for a comparison standpoint - I do find that the 256 requires me to be very finite with what I carry and, since I travel so much, I basically have to take my "desktop" with me everywhere I go.

@mgrennier Shoot me a mailing address and I can send you one if you want to try it out....(might be a filson branded 257)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that’s service! :)
Agreed. This is a nice little community.

I think you know that OtterMeanGreen and I even had a scotch and cigar last week in New Jersey. That guy is as passionate about his stogies as he is about his Filsons and Ferraris.

I learned a lot about cigars. And enjoyed a Rocky Patel 1990 which paired nicely with a Lagavulin 16 scotch.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How sexy does this look. I can't believe I'm choosing NAVY over Otter Green, but pictures don't lie, it's the better color. It reminds me of one of those vintage USPS Mail Bags for some reason.

Large carry-on 7.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. This is a nice little community.

I think you know that OtterMeanGreen and I even had a scotch and cigar last week in New Jersey. That guy is as passionate about his stogies as he is about his Filsons and Ferraris.

I learned a lot about cigars. And enjoyed a Rocky Patel 1990 which paired nicely with a Lagavulin 16 scotch.

I appreciate the shout. Glad it was a memorable experience for you, it was so worth the drive. How was the cigar the 2nd time around? Did they have Blanton's this time lol?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we to believe that Bedrock Filson got their facts straight on this one, or this another famous typo (like duffel/duffle or there admission of using 18oz rugged twill in a catalog). I was under the impression that Stanley Kohl's introduced the Filson Rugged Twill Luggage line in 1992 and that the Original Briefcase was among the first to be released.........................which I always thought is why it's referred to as the "ORIGINAL". :eh:

256.PNG

woodsjw

Reaction score
How sexy does this look. I can't believe I'm choosing NAVY over Otter Green, but pictures don't lie, it's the better color. It reminds me of one of those vintage USPS Mail Bags for some reason.

View attachment 887599

I don’t blame you! OG is definitely my favorite as well, but I am strongly considering selling my Brown #258 and replacing it with the same model in Navy.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t blame you! OG is definitely my favorite as well, but I am strongly considering selling my Brown #258 and replacing it with the same model in Navy.

I'm still a bit hesitant on NAVY and how it patinas. There isn't much evidence out there on the topic and I'm curious to see what happens under heavy abuse. Tan darkens, Otter Green fades to an almost Tan shade, but what of Navy? Is it like Black and Brown where little happens?

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
I'm still a bit hesitant on NAVY and how it patinas. There isn't much evidence out there on the topic and I'm curious to see what happens under heavy abuse. Tan darkens, Otter Green fades to an almost Tan shade, but what of Navy? Is it like Black and Brown where little happens?

I only use my #258 for travel, so I’m not too worried about patina... I’d actually prefer it stay semi-newish looking.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm using my Navy duffle nearly every week on the road - throwing it on airplanes, throwing it in the back of an uber and throwing it on cement floors.

Doesn't get a ton of exposure to sunshine but I'm beating it up pretty good in nearly all other aspects!

chev4x4

Reaction score
Today, my colleague came in with a Saddleback briefcase. He was pretty proud of it and was touting the advantages of its full grain leather etc. I picked it up with his laptop inside it, it felt more like the weight of my 266 packed for a 4-day trip.

I thought it looked higher quality than I imagined. But I greatly preferred the Pacific Northwest rustic of the Filson 256/257/258 to the Cowboy rustic of this bag. But a lot of guys like it, so who am I to judge?

You're not alone in noticing the sheer weight of a Saddleback Briefcase. While I was researching my first briefcase purchase I was quite intrigued by the saddleback. Then I heard about the weight issue. One guy said it felt like a 30 pound weight on his shoulder and that was when the bag was empty. No thank you sir, I'll stick with my Filson.

Not quite heavy. I like my 257 and Saddleback briefcase, but I've been using my rickshaw lately as it handles snow better.

6TvLKhU.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads