• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Quick update. The bag is absolutely gorgeous. The canvas is thick and heavyweight. A real nice sturdy feel to it. The stitching is tight and even and the bridle is as good as they come as per your standard Filsons.

From first impressions, i am extremely satisfied and happy with my purchase. Really got this piece at a steal! Couldn't be happier. More Picts to follow of the inside of the rucksack soon.

roundg

Reaction score
Quick update. The bag is absolutely gorgeous. The canvas is thick and heavyweight. A real nice sturdy feel to it. The stitching is tight and even and the bridle is as good as they come as per your standard Filsons.

From first impressions, i am extremely satisfied and happy with my purchase. Really got this piece at a steal! Couldn't be happier. More Picts to follow of the inside of the rucksack soon.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

70431 looks like a very big and wide backpack. It's more like a 30L or 32L bag.
From the dimensions it is bigger than the regular rucksack Rugged Height: 20.5in / 52cm Length: 13in / 33cm Depth: 6.25in / 16cm Regular Measurements Height: 17in / 43cm Length: 15in / 38cm Depth: 5in / 13cm

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I have been super swamped tonight so will post more Picts of the interior of the bag when I find the time. In the meanwhile, this is the size comparison next to a North Face Big Shot

roundg

Reaction score

My bag arrived today. Mixed feeling if not saying a bad feeling.

I like the color, the size, the feel of the canvas. But ....by looking at the pic, you will understand everything. One bridle leather strap is only in half the thickness of the other. It feels dry too.

Now I start to understand the some complaining in this thread now. How could the QA let such a OFF strap leave the factory and sell to end customer.

I am not sure whether I should return this immediately.

Last edited:

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that. If something bothers you, I strongly suggest you return it for a refund. It is a definite that you will constantly feel annoyed about the issue and you will then start to use the item less and less.

I checked my bag and the straps are perfectly aligned and of the same thickness. No dryness coming from my leather. I carried it to work yesterday as well as it was casual Fridays. Many a colleague loved the bag and the lady sitting behind me (the model) in the pict below decided to buy one for her significant other.

roundg

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that. If something bothers you, I strongly suggest you return it for a refund. It is a definite that you will constantly feel annoyed about the issue and you will then start to use the item less and less.

I checked my bag and the straps are perfectly aligned and of the same thickness. No dryness coming from my leather. I carried it to work yesterday as well as it was casual Fridays. Many a colleague loved the bag and the lady sitting behind me (the model) in the pict below decided to buy one for her significant other.

Thanks for the nice word. Yes, I have to get it returned. It's not the quality that I expect and accept from Filson. I have the 256 which I carry every day and very happy with it. I also have the old version Medium Duffle and new released Weatherproof full leather Duffle. All are great until this bag hit me.

roundg

Reaction score
I have returned the rucksack. The service from East Dane is great. I saw there is still one available on their website, maybe people interested should grab it now to avoid receive the one I returned.

Also during the weekend, I bought one Heavy Duty Tin Medium Duffle (70177) from Amazon. The price is USD165 for the last piece which I believe it's good. Suddenly I have three Medium Duffles: Standard 22-oz canvas, the weather proof leather version which is still on sale and the Heavy Duty Tin version.

I am not quite understand the product line of Filson. It seems that except for the standard lines, they produce some special version or called limited edition from time to time. But limited edition doesn't mean higher standard materials or higher price, e.g. the heavy duty tin version was sold at a lower price. It's more like some experimental run with some short term available materials. Also it's very difficult to find any review on these limited edition products.

Ttate90303

Reaction score
First repair needed on just over a month old Tan Briefcase 256. Shoulder strap mount threads separating from bag. Waiting on RA# from Filson Customer Service.

tomatic

Reaction score
First repair needed on just over a month old Tan Briefcase 256. Shoulder strap mount threads separating from bag. Waiting on RA# from Filson Customer Service.

Happened to me for two ~2014 bags (258, Medium Travel) after two trips. Not sure why they can't figure out a better solution for the weakest element but I've since stopped purchasing new F gear to the point where I'm only using the tote. Obviously no rivets there.

Last edited:

Ttate90303

Reaction score
Sad that it continues to happen - maybe they need to employ the mounting they use for the 257 or the Duffle bag - big leather patch secured to the bag and then mount the strap anchor. They had me send back the old bag and will be sending me a new one once the old one is received. I''ve only had the bag about 30 days.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happened to me for two ~2014 bags (258, Medium Travel) after two trips. Not sure why the can't figure out a better solution for the weakest element but I've since stopped purchasing new F gear to the point where I'm only using the tote. Obviously no rivets there.

With their continual cycle of price increases, and the shifting more to tin cloth over twill with new models, the variable quality in the leather, I am not all that tempted to buy new at full MSRP either. I like the design on the 48h bag, case in point, but it just doesn't feel It's at the level where I want to spend nearly $500 on it. On the other hand, I could see me dropping twice that for a Frank Clegg briefcase based on materials and workmanship.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads