• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WJR

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great info. If I may ask another newbie question:

Do you treat the other side or inside of the leather? In the case of the sleeve, would you treat the underside of the flap? In the case of a handle or strap do you treat both sides, the finished and unfinished?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great info. If I may ask another newbie question:

Do you treat the other side or inside of the leather? In the case of the sleeve, would you treat the underside of the flap? In the case of a handle or strap do you treat both sides, the finished and unfinished?

Depends on the era. If it's the Talon Era (or early YKK) with the suede underside, I myself wouldn't. The mid to late YKK Era featured an underside that would pull and pile, so I'm not sure how well conditioner would soak into that. So to both I only treat the topside of the leather.

ykk 1.PNG

The modern day leather from Filson has a pretty uniform (almost machine-like) finish to both sides of the leather. Even the early Filson-YKK had a pretty uniform construction on both sides of the leather, so conditioner could easily be applied on the top and undersides. My 2010 #266 showcased this trait, which was a lucky break considering the (still to this day) awful design fault of the leather hand strap rubbing against the sharp brass zipper teeth.

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'd be careful, too, of putting any conditioner on the underside of leather. I know that at least one of my conditioners says not to do that, and after conditioning every surface of my field satchel, I went for months with oils coming back out of the leather onto my paperwork inside the bag.

WJR

Reaction score
Rymanocerous and nevadabob,

In that case, what do you do about the piling and chipping on the back side of the straps? The strap for my 257 is already showing some good wear from use the past couple of months.

Thank you.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rymanocerous and nevadabob,

In that case, what do you do about the piling and chipping on the back side of the straps? The strap for my 257 is already showing some good wear from use the past couple of months.

Thank you.

Not to deminish previous posts, but its worth mentioning that I have applied Obenaufs to both sides of my 2010 #266 after removing Wilson tennis racquet grip tape, and realizing it looked worse then before I applied it. As I stated above, there’s a major design flaw with the one handle rubbing against the sharp brass zippers. The leather was getting a little chewed up which was why I applied it. It was no worse for wear and helped heal the leather (and remove any adhesive leftover). Below is the link to that post.

singjai

Reaction score
So Dustin from VP was able to hook it up with a shoulder strap for one of my bags. Brown Chromexcel. This thing is heavy duty and looks amazing. Really wish I could replace all my straps with his.. Got some other things in the mail today and will post some pics as soon as I take em!

IMG_0361.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0363.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Dustin from VP was able to hook it up with a shoulder strap for one of my bags. Brown Chromexcel. This thing is heavy duty and looks amazing. Really wish I could replace all my straps with his.. Got some other things in the mail today and will post some pics as soon as I take em!

View attachment 1461589 View attachment 1461590 View attachment 1461591

Looks really impressive, especially the edge work. Man that’s one long shoulder pad, probably could fit Paul Bunyan crossbody carry. Is that a padless strap from the Talon Era or one from one of Bedrock’s re-creations?

singjai

Reaction score
Looks really impressive, especially the edge work. Man that’s one long shoulder pad, probably could fit Paul Bunyan crossbody carry. Is that a padless strap from the Talon Era or one from one of Bedrock’s re-creations?
Yeah it's really long! Trying to decide if this should go on my 256 or one of the larger luggage pieces. The strap is from the YKK era. My talon straps don't look much different.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My talon straps don't look much different.

Gotcha. I guess it depends on the build year and/or Wickett & Craig batch, because mine do (in shade and visual quality). I’m definitely still more that happy with mine, but glad your new purchase has improved your experience with your new to you club #242

1A9D53D9-FE5C-44DF-A324-0D14FBFC8C9C.jpeg

D061CDE4-A59A-4B6D-A95D-629EEB64F67B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads