• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WJR

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed getting to know more about Filson and its history from reading through this thread.

I have a question that may have been asked already, but I could not find anything on it.

The small duffle was numbered 70220. The original medium duffle was 70222. Large was 70223. Extra Large was 70224.

Did Filson ever make a 221/70221? If not, would that have been a better choice for the small, carry on size medium duffle, than 70325 and fit in the numbering scheme since it would be between the 70220 and 70222 in size?

seven20

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed getting to know more about Filson and its history from reading through this thread.

I have a question that may have been asked already, but I could not find anything on it.

The small duffle was numbered 70220. The original medium duffle was 70222. Large was 70223. Extra Large was 70224.

Did Filson ever make a 221/70221? If not, would that have been a better choice for the small, carry on size medium duffle, than 70325 and fit in the numbering scheme since it would be between the 70220 and 70222 in size?
To add to this, they could have kept the 70222 in the line up with them as I still feel it has a solid place in my collection of duffles

Winston2

Reaction score
To add to this, they could have kept the 70222 in the line up with them as I still feel it has a solid place in my collection of duffles
What do you all think about the 223 large duffle? Good for longer trips if not quite filed to capacity so that it’s not too heavy? Other? I’m considering one for longer car trips where I won’t have to carry long distances. not carry through airport, etc. Thanks for your thoughts.

seven20

Reaction score
What do you all think about the 223 large duffle? Good for longer trips if not quite filed to capacity so that it’s not too heavy? Other? I’m considering one for longer car trips where I won’t have to carry long distances. not carry through airport, etc. Thanks for your thoughts.
I don’t have a strong opinion as I have 2 smalls, a 222 medium and a 70325 carry on medium. The 222 is more than I need usually, and my FiL has a large and it is just huge to me. That said, I’ll probably get one at some point as it would be nice for camping gear and throw in the bed of the truck.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I have never wanted for more than the med, I cannot imagine lugging a lg around.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I just looked at mine. It's new. I got it several months ago thinking I would use it for any of my outdoor hobbies that have lots of bulky stuff that I want to wrangle. Car camping, hunting, ATVing, snowmobiling, paddling (although I have better/specific use duffles for that activity).

Anyway, I wouldn't want a larger one unless it had wheels. I can easily see me using this for the purposes I describe. Like I said, I see it as a way to wrangle a bunch of loose stuff. I would only use it for car transportation, there would be no way I would carry it long distances. I doubt I would fill it with clothes. That would be incredibly heavy.

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
This is what I used:
1600219811052.png

Yeah I know pretty odd. It was actually recommended to me years ago by an associate at the Seattle flagship. He glanced the thirsty leather on my old Medium field bag I was lugging around and suggested this product to me. Hey I guess if it’s good enough for the pricey leather seats in your ride it must be fine for the leather on your bags. I like that it goes on clean and there’s no greasy feel afterwards.
Anyways, thats what I used this time around. I do have Obenaufs and other products.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All of the original Filson’s actually only carried the 3 digit nomenclature. It wasn’t until early 2012 when they switched to 5 digit build numbers, which was when Bedrock Manufacturing took control. For instance my Sportsman which was built in October 2010 and was labeled as such:

188F898F-D89F-4F0E-ADA5-9A8C7CE885E8.jpeg

As opposed to (January 2014). I still don't know why "70" was chosen.

B76719BC-122C-4083-ABF4-91730C223D1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
This is what I used:
View attachment 1459288
Yeah I know pretty odd. It was actually recommended to me years ago by an associate at the Seattle flagship. He glanced the thirsty leather on my old Medium field bag I was lugging around and suggested this product to me. Hey I guess if it’s good enough for the pricey leather seats in your ride it must be fine for the leather on your bags. I like that it goes on clean and there’s no greasy feel afterwards.
Anyways, thats what I used this time around. I do have Obenaufs and other products.
Not to be argumentative but leather car seats are treated and sealed, so the products designed for them aren't the best for fine leather goods.

WJR

Reaction score
I have not seen a 70222 in person as of yet. That size has been recommended to me by several old school Filson owners over the 70325.

I do plan to add a medium duffle eventually but at this point am not sure which one to pick.

WJR

Reaction score
This is what I used:

FilsonDude,

Thank you for the informative posts. Your sleeve looks great! My sleeve looks like your "before" pictures. I did buy some Obenaufs recently based on posts earlier in the thread for my 257. Would you say that could do the job as well?

WJR

Reaction score
All of the original Filson’s actually only carried the 3 digit nomenclature. It wasn’t until early 2012 when they switched to 5 digit build numbers, which was when Bedrock Manufacturing took control. For instance my Sportsman which was built in October 2010 and was labeled as such:
OMG, thank you for the history lesson. I was aware of the 3 then 5 digit nomenclature, just not the timing of same. Now I guess they have added the 110 in front for 8 digits. Any idea on why that happened?

Also, any thoughts/comments on the 70221 vs 70325?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.