• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Maybe I'm spoiled by having had most of my experience in handmade stuff come in the form of steel bicycle frames with pristine welds, but the sloppy soldering looks out of place on something sold for a premium price (I'm not saying that I could do better, just that a pro should be able to).

I get that this is a handmade piece, and the metal will patina nicely and all that. I'm just not wowed on initial inspection.
Send it back, it sounds like it’s not the flask for you.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it supposed to have a function or purely decorative? Either way, that's some good ash.

No more then any other cigar out there, but offers a unique experience and certainly requires a skilled roller.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I’m not so sure about that pants, a little too Clark W Griswold

View attachment 1457865

Those pants are like wearing a wool blanket. They are classic. They have their place. I had a pair (outgrew - they are still around here somewhere) just like those pictured and now have a similar pair that has wider legs so they can go over boots. I use these pants to spend the day outside from before dawn until sundown in any weather below thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit when I'm going to be sitting still all day. Or, days when I'm in the same weather and moving intermittently. I've worn them comfortably in weather from below zero through forty degrees, frequently trudging through snow that varies from ankle to knee deep. The colder it is, the thicker the long johns (now called a base layer) I wear with them. But, wear a base layer you must because these are rough wool. They breathe, are all but waterproof by shedding rain and snow, are nearly indestructable and they are darn warm. I've also worn them to watch football games on cold aluminum bleacher seats, with temperatures often in the teens. I can think of no other pants that can do what they do.

Clark W. Griswold would never wear these because they were never sold at Marshall Field's. Elmer Fudd did.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
I received my Flask and its just beautiful, I love it. the only problem I could find, and its a small one, is that IT LEAKS, lol!!
it leaks where the threaded piece is soldered to the top.
I contacted them and they were very apologetic, they are sending me a new one right away. ill report back!

d0Ed+LS2SFOo67+%Yb5vnw.jpg
7lVPkxi8TmeNUjA+TX6AqQ.jpg
VDPpWK4pTxasw3ketGaqcQ.jpg

Attachments

• GR144Bk0Tji7qFN%4XT2oA.jpg
    GR144Bk0Tji7qFN%4XT2oA.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 15

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I received my Flask and its just beautiful, I love it. the only problem I could find, and its a small one, is that IT LEAKS, lol!!
it leaks where the threaded piece is soldered to the top.
I contacted them and they were very apologetic, they are sending me a new one right away. ill report back!

View attachment 1458057 View attachment 1458059 View attachment 1458060

Oh, no!! I'm sure that can happen on these though. That's why they've got a lifetime warranty, like Filson. Mine will arrive today. I'm looking forward to evaluating it. I'll check back in once I've got it in hand.

Please do let us know how it all goes, StratKat. I always like to hear about customer service experiences. They are a big deciding factor in what I purchase next.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Oh, no!! I'm sure that can happen on these though. That's why they've got a lifetime warranty, like Filson. Mine will arrive today. I'm looking forward to evaluating it. I'll check back in once I've got it in hand.

Please do let us know how it all goes, StratKat. I always like to hear about customer service experiences. They are a big deciding factor in what I purchase next.
they replied to my email within 20 minutes.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those pants are like wearing a wool blanket. They are classic. They have their place. I had a pair (outgrew - they are still around here somewhere) just like those pictured and now have a similar pair that has wider legs so they can go over boots. I use these pants to spend the day outside from before dawn until sundown in any weather below thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit when I'm going to be sitting still all day. Or, days when I'm in the same weather and moving intermittently. I've worn them comfortably in weather from below zero through forty degrees, frequently trudging through snow that varies from ankle to knee deep. The colder it is, the thicker the long johns (now called a base layer) I wear with them. But, wear a base layer you must because these are rough wool. They breathe, are all but waterproof by shedding rain and snow, are nearly indestructable and they are darn warm. I've also worn them to watch football games on cold aluminum bleacher seats, with temperatures often in the teens. I can think of no other pants that can do what they do.

Clark W. Griswold would never wear these because they were never sold at Marshall Field's. Elmer Fudd did.

I’m not doubting their warmth or function in the wardrobe, only the form (or style) they feature. I guess maybe it’s a generational thing or just a matter of acquired taste, but it’s just not for me. I much prefer the timeless but also widely applied looks of the Navy/Charcoal/Forest Green Mackinaw Wool garments.

To each their own though...of course. If you can pull it off, then why not. Like wearing a Buffalo Plaid Mackinaw Cruiser with a 3 piece suit. I’m sure @speedy611 could all teach us something about that.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I’m not doubting their warmth or function in the wardrobe, only the form (or style) they feature. I guess maybe it’s a generational thing or just a matter of acquired taste, but it’s just not for me. I much prefer the timeless but also widely applied looks of the Navy/Charcoal/Forest Green Mackinaw Wool garments.

To each their own though...of course. If you can pull it off, then why not. Like wearing a Buffalo Plaid Mackinaw Cruiser with a 3 piece suit. I’m sure @speedy611 could all teach us something about that.
0778C5D4-27FE-4ECE-B54A-3F0D57BD63F9.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score

Could easily be an acquired taste. I've heard the red/black buffalo plaid called a Pennsylvania Tuxedo or Minnesota Tuxedo. It applies to many other states as well, I'm sure.

For me it harks back to when these colors were worn for deer hunting, before blaze orange existed or was mandated, before I hunted. I saw many wearing this pattern when I was a child. Thus, I've a soft spot for it in my heart.

StratKat... (shaking my head in a good way) Dude, you are just ownin' ****, aren't you?! Well done. Very well done. A tip of my hat to you, sir.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
For the benefit of others, the coincidence is that OMG and I made our posts within seconds of each other. Both posts touch on the exact same points.

I agree, OMG. Indeed, a coincidence.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm spoiled by having had most of my experience in handmade stuff come in the form of steel bicycle frames with pristine welds, but the sloppy soldering looks out of place on something sold for a premium price (I'm not saying that I could do better, just that a pro should be able to).

I get that this is a handmade piece, and the metal will patina nicely and all that. I'm just not wowed on initial inspection.

I’m a bike guy too. I think Stratkat had his finger on it though - copper soldering is a different technique to welding or brazing. And with a steelie bike you often have lugs or at least mitred joints for the brazing to flow into. Copper soldering an edge seam has less definition so the solder will spread out and perhaps not be uniform. That said, copper is soft and easy to file or grind smooth so it may be deliberately left that way for the hand made feel.
In any case it’s a lovely looking thing.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I got my flask today and I really like it. Mine doesn't leak but looks pretty much identical to what you posted, Fueco. I sure wish I could find a cover/case for it like TinMan3 has. That's really cool, TinMan.

Thank you Fueco for suggesting this to the group. I'm glad to have it and hope it sees many Filson pockets, both bag and coat.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my flask today and I really like it. Mine doesn't leak but looks pretty much identical to what you posted, Fueco. I sure wish I could find a cover/case for it like TinMan3 has. That's really cool, TinMan.

Thank you Fueco for suggesting this to the group. I'm glad to have it and hope it sees many Filson pockets, both bag and coat.
That silly little sleeve adds a whole lot of cost without adding any function. To be honest, I often remove the sleeve when in use because it slides easier into the side pocket of my 261 without it. I agree though, it looks awesome and I’m certainly not looking to part with it, but for $80, you got a definite steal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics