• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hesitating on buying it and my girlfriend talked me out of it lol. This could be totally bogus but I might have read or heard Sierra gets some of version of their "2nds" that might not meet standards for full retail. Could be totally wrong since I wasn't really paying attention. Do you have any pics?

Ill post some later. I’m out in theyard with my kids.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Here is the kind of honest patina that I dig, and that seems to be lost on a generation of people. Was cleaning the shop, wiping down and putting tools away. I like the kind of patina that has been put on by me. I’ve had most of these tools from new. Years of hands on use has gently rolled edges, oxidized finishes. My father was a machinist and always stressed oiling edge surfaces, for performance and accuracy, so rust is kept at bay.
E1A21AC8-50E1-436C-BFB5-957CD252B05D.jpeg
2E0BCAF2-7AE5-4F76-B696-6422FD60C5F4.jpeg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one in the mail today. I must say that I don’t know what the fuss is all about. The welds seem sloppy, and I’d be hesitant to pay $30 for this flask, let alone $80 or $350.
Yeah, mine is not a factory second. I’ve had this for a couple of years now and always really liked it. Bromwell makes things the same way they were made a century + ago, so I think that’s probably what accounts for the sloppy welds but I know nothing about welding copper so I won’t talk to it. What I will say is that the handmade component is evident and the patina is unique to the user. When I got mine it was shiny like a new copper penny and now it has oxidized from whiskey spilling on it and London rain (amongst other things). Something that most flasks will not do. I’m also a sucker for the filson sleeve even though it truly adds nothing but a cool look to it.

C9FE2D3D-5145-4D3F-9CB4-38F59FFA17E9.jpeg

EFB6B225-42EC-4AFD-BC1B-7F64404C6BDE.jpeg

51264E88-69AA-453E-8FB5-49E4C59B589C.jpeg

7D69531A-481E-4B96-BF6D-73CF0685CE4E.jpeg

Stratkat

Reaction score
Yeah, mine is not a factory second. I’ve had this for a couple of years now and always really liked it. Bromwell makes things the same way they were made a century + ago, so I think that’s probably what accounts for the sloppy welds but I know nothing about welding copper so I won’t talk to it. What I will say is that the handmade component is evident and the patina is unique to the user. When I got mine it was shiny like a new copper penny and now it has oxidized from whiskey spilling on it and London rain (amongst other things). Something that most flasks will not do. I’m also a sucker for the filson sleeve even though it truly adds nothing but a cool look to it.

View attachment 1457641
View attachment 1457642
View attachment 1457643
View attachment 1457644
Those are all hand made, hand formed on forms with a hammer and eye. The ‘welds’ are solder. The interior is tinned, they are very nice in my opinion!

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1457641
View attachment 1457642
View attachment 1457643
View attachment 1457644
Man, I love the sleeve! When did they offer that?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1457641
View attachment 1457642
View attachment 1457643
View attachment 1457644

Nice patina! What have you been filling that up with?

Speaking of flasks. I only allow Kentucky Bourbon and Kentucky Rye to touch this beauty. This particular design is discontinued and I think preferred to the current Stanley x Filson offering. Since stainless steel isn't really a patina magnet, I probably won't be following yours, but I can live with that.

25791C3E-896D-4531-8A1B-34C4B8A25894.jpeg

flask.PNG

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1457641
View attachment 1457642
View attachment 1457643
View attachment 1457644

So is this to be expected then? I’m used to handmade stuff looking better than machine made stuff. But I don't have an experience with copper.

D652CD6A-6A90-4885-9953-9308FB6147AA.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is this to be expected then? I’m used to handmade stuff looking better than machine made stuff. But I don't have an experience with copper.

View attachment 1457791
Guess so. Reminds me of soldering from doing plumbing on copper pipes in a house. I haven’t had any problem with leaking or anything so seems like it does the job! Haha

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1457791
That joint is folded over on itself to create a seal, then hammered closed. Probably soldered from the inside, then the end caps are formed and soldered on. Very old school, and cool!

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about that pants, a little too Clark W Griswold

5284A552-B9AB-4FBB-8CDF-F8E4B3F58203.jpeg

zargoz

Reaction score
Nice patina! What have you been filling that up with?

Speaking of flasks. I only allow Kentucky Bourbon and Kentucky Rye to touch this beauty. This particular design is discontinued and I think preferred to the current Stanley x Filson offering. Since stainless steel isn't really a patina magnet, I probably won't be following yours, but I can live with that.

View attachment 1457770

View attachment 1457771
Ok, I'll bite... what's up with that cigar?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite... what's up with that cigar?

Haha I was expecting someone to inquire, as that isn’t something you see everyday. It’s a very exclusive distributor special. My cigar lounge only had 20 for sale. It smoked liked any premium long filler cigar, burned cool, and the ash actually hung on past the bend.

zargoz

Reaction score
Haha I was expecting someone to inquire, as that isn’t something you see everyday. It’s a very exclusive distributor special. My cigar lounge only had 20 for sale. It smoked liked any premium long filler cigar, burned cool, and the ash actually hung on past the bend.
Is it supposed to have a function or purely decorative? Either way, that's some good ash.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess so. Reminds me of soldering from doing plumbing on copper pipes in a house. I haven’t had any problem with leaking or anything so seems like it does the job! Haha

Maybe I'm spoiled by having had most of my experience in handmade stuff come in the form of steel bicycle frames with pristine welds, but the sloppy soldering looks out of place on something sold for a premium price (I'm not saying that I could do better, just that a pro should be able to).

I get that this is a handmade piece, and the metal will patina nicely and all that. I'm just not wowed on initial inspection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads