• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
If you want pictures, I can probably gather a side by side comparison later today. It’s a very grey day here today so pictures won’t have great lighting.

Let me know if that would be helpful and I can do it after work.
Wow lots more people are using it than I thought. That would be great if you don’t mind.

I’ve also reached out to VP to see if they’d be willing to sell replacement straps of their own but might be a while till they respond. The guy I contacted said he might have a couple spares so glad there are now plenty of options.

seven20

Reaction score
Thanks for helping settle this case for us. I too thought the same when I bought my first two #70257's. One was from Neiman Marcus and the other was from Hanks Clothing (before they changed venues). I returned both, but not for that reason (each had leather issues). It was only until I found my first Talon Era (#257) that I saw the difference; in leather and interior twill selection.

I'm not sure it was revised in that way to save on weight, as the #258/70258 has always used a lighter weight material for their front pocket organization, and that bag is heavy no matter what, which was why I exchanged mine. My particular theory is that Bedrock Filson was searching for ways to save money. The 70257 was among the first incredibly popular bags to be discontinued, long before that process became a trend at modern day Filson. I seriously doubt the 70258 was outselling it at the time (or ever). They even sent out an email to everyone stating their reasons for discontinuing it, which had nothing to do with sale numbers, but because they already had a smaller (70256/24HR) and larger style (70258) briefcase and there was no need for it.
Padded computer briefcase is Filson’s second best selling bag to the original briefcase per Filson. I love my 70257 but I don’t think it was a solid seller. Even watching eBay they go slower than the other computer oriented options

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Padded computer briefcase is Filson’s second best selling bag to the original briefcase per Filson. I love my 70257 but I don’t think it was a solid seller. Even watching eBay they go slower than the other computer oriented options

I’ve said this in the past and I’ll say it again, I don’t take anything Filson CS says at face value. They’ve made one too many mistakes and incongruent statements in the past for me to take what they say seriously. As far as the 257/70257 goes, in the past 5 years of daily ritualistic searches for Filson bags, and the hundreds of thousands that I have seen, i would say considerbly more have been presented in secondary markets compared to the #258/70258, with that being the slow sellers. Again, according to an official Filson email, sales figures had nothing to do with it being discontinued, despite what the current high turnover CS Dept has to say about it.

That’s just my take on it, based on personal experience with the Filson CS Dept.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Davey13 & anyone else interested in EDC knives. I am in the process of sending my linen Micarta scales back to the craftsman to have new holes drilled and tapped at his request. I am changing the pocket clip orientation to “Right Hand Tip Up” instead of the current “Right Hand Tip Down” orientation. I’ve never drilled into hardened linen before, so I figured beta testing it on a pair of $80 scales wasn’t entirely smart.

I wanted to share the current patina thus far on it, after about 2 months of handling. The “Spydy-flick”is addicting and adding to my enjoyment of this build.

Top picture is the day of building. Dave was right, linen Micarta is a patina magnet. Warm soapy water can bring back the original color, but I have no plans of doing that just yet.

8377D885-F301-4852-89E0-F257C03BAB23.jpeg

WJR

Reaction score
@Davey13 & anyone else interested in EDC knives. I am in the process of sending my linen Micarta scales back to the craftsman to have new holes drilled and tapped at his request. I am changing the pocket clip orientation to “Right Hand Tip Up” instead of the current “Right Hand Tip Down” orientation. I’ve never drilled into hardened linen before, so I figured beta testing it on a pair of $80 scales wasn’t entirely smart.

I wanted to share the current patina thus far on it, after about 2 months of handling. The “Spydy-flick”is addicting and adding to my enjoyment of this build.

Top picture is the day of building. Dave was right, linen Micarta is a patina magnet. Warm soapy water can bring back the original color, but I have no plans of doing that just yet.

OMG - patina looks great on your Para 3. Question, have you sharpened the blade yet? Just wondering if sharpening does anything to the coating on the blade.

Thank you.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG - patina looks great on your Para 3. Question, have you sharpened the blade yet? Just wondering if sharpening does anything to the coating on the blade.

Thank you.

Thanks! Nope haven’t sharpened yet. Actually buying my first sharpener today, the Spyderco Sharpmaker. As for the dulling on the blade, that was from my sterilization attempt using isopropyl 70%. Next time I will just use dish soap and warm water. The extreme lighting I used in that photo makes it look more dull then it really is, to the naked eye you really can't tell much of a difference.

1509B53E-B7E3-4584-B4D9-E73B1081DF5C.jpeg

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Wow lots more people are using it than I thought. That would be great if you don’t mind.

I’ve also reached out to VP to see if they’d be willing to sell replacement straps of their own but might be a while till they respond. The guy I contacted said he might have a couple spares so glad there are now plenty of options.

I’m sorry, singjai. I was wrong. My Frost River bags don’t have their leather strap on them. My bags have cotton webbed straps. I can tell you that my 11/13 made 240 has a padded shoulder strap. Here it is next to the wider strap Filson sells. I believe Speedy turned me on to the wider one. I got mine at one of the outlets. You might want to give them a call.

image.jpg

singjai

Reaction score
I’m sorry, singjai. I was wrong. My Frost River bags don’t have their leather strap on them. My bags have cotton webbed straps. I can tell you that my 11/13 made 240 has a padded shoulder strap. Here it is next to the wider strap Filson sells. I believe Speedy turned me on to the wider one. I got mine at one of the outlets. You might want to give them a call.

View attachment 1455494
Ah gotcha, no worries! I actually ended up reaching out to VP to see if they could sell me one of theirs and Dustin emailed back saying yes. Depending on price, I might just go with theirs.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just leafed through the filson/ducks unlimited catalog. I like that special patch. Wish they had made these of canvas instead of cordura nylon:
DUFilson2.jpg

nevadabob

Reaction score
I was goofing off on the Filson website and noticed two things:

1. Of the 19 bags listed under New Arrivals Luggage, only two are made of Filson's Rugged Twill, and those are the DU collab.

2. The returns page reads that Filson Restoration Department and Old Wolf Branded items are not returnable. Has anyone seen an Old Wolf item?

2C619FDA-9FD7-4EB4-AACE-03D1E79DAF73.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if anyone here is interested, but Sierra (Trading Post) has Jacob Cromwell Vermonter flasks for $80.

I got one in the mail today. I must say that I don’t know what the fuss is all about. The welds seem sloppy, and I’d be hesitant to pay $30 for this flask, let alone $80 or $350.

singjai

Reaction score
I got one in the mail today. I must say that I don’t know what the fuss is all about. The welds seem sloppy, and I’d be hesitant to pay $30 for this flask, let alone $80 or $350.
I was hesitating on buying it and my girlfriend talked me out of it lol. This could be totally bogus but I might have read or heard Sierra gets some of version of their "2nds" that might not meet standards for full retail. Could be totally wrong since I wasn't really paying attention. Do you have any pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads