• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McRiz

Reaction score
Do any of you know anything about this tin cloth bag/duffle/backpack? The Filson website has a mossy oak version. Do you know if this will be part of the lineup?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Do any of you know anything about this tin cloth bag/duffle/backpack? The Filson website has a mossy oak version. Do you know if this will be part of the lineup?

This used to be on Filson’s website. Appears gone now. Strange. I know it was there two or three months ago. If hunting for it, call the 800 number and see if they can track it down. I have not seen one in person.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you guys were picking a bag to serve as a be-all work/gym bag, what would you pick? No laptop, just a notebook and/or journal, water bottle, maybe some lunch, and a change of gym clothes(including shoes).

Zeke90

Reaction score
How is the 48hr duffle? Do you guys prefer it over a small rugged twill duffle? I like the pockets; but would like to know how is the weight when lugging it around for weekend trips (2-3 days)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is the 48hr duffle? Do you guys prefer it over a small rugged twill duffle? I like the pockets; but would like to know how is the weight when lugging it around for weekend trips (2-3 days)
I like mine for 2,3,4 day trips. Can cram it full of needed clothing/ancillary things. It is a bit heavier than a nylon bag, but does manage to fit in the overhead on an airplane, if not overstuffed. Plus it looks great and is Filson, so it is built to withstand an apocalypse. I don't have a small duffle, as I just never liked the look/style of a duffel bag, so use the medium field/24 hour/48 hour for travel.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like mine for 2,3,4 day trips. Can cram it full of needed clothing/ancillary things. It is a bit heavier than a nylon bag, but does manage to fit in the overhead on an airplane, if not overstuffed. Plus it looks great and is Filson, so it is built to withstand an apocalypse. I don't have a small duffle, as I just never liked the look/style of a duffel bag, so use the medium field/24 hour/48 hour for travel.

@Zeke90 - consider too the small Pullman. I had a 48, and liked it a lot. The pockets are useful. Ultimately I decided I prefer twill over tin cloth for its durability and looks. I didn’t really like the hard base of the 48, nor the trolley strap which I felt was flimsy and would be better as a pocket.
the small Pullman is fractionally larger, made of twill, has a front pocket (flat so less good but still useful. Personally, as I have a large Pullman already,I went for a vintage medium carry on (242) which is big enough to handle an extra pair of shoes.
Hope that’s helpful.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would enjoy this article then. I like how I have a one bag option for even multiple days...if done right. Still in search though of the perfect one bag travel backpack. I want something that can patina (so Minaal might be out) and GoRuck appears to be made now in Vietnam, at least according to the page that I am up to in the forum, so that would be out too.

Journeyman article:

I'm not sure why the aversion to Vietnam, but I think I read that they are one of the few places to have the skilled workers to make high quality technical bags.

Filson must be clearing out the zippered totes. Gilt Groupe has it today for $89. Even cheaper than when I picked mine up 10 years ago. Can't believe what the new retail price on these are now.

Must be a member to click though the link, but just requires sign up.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bugger! What are my repair options?

5B179F20-6D03-4375-AFA1-32BEADC5ECC8.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the aversion to Vietnam, but I think I read that they are one of the few places to have the skilled workers to make high quality technical bags.

Filson must be clearing out the zippered totes. Gilt Groupe has it today for $89. Even cheaper than when I picked mine up 10 years ago. Can't believe what the new retail price on these are now.

Must be a member to click though the link, but just requires sign up.

Re: Vietnam, I have two vests - one the heavier wax canvas version (made in US) and the other the lighter dry wax version (made in Vietnam) but aside from the difference in weight of the outer shell, I have found no obvious differences in quality. Do I prefer having the Filson products made in USA? Yes, no doubt. Especially at the typical Filson MSRPs.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Nice find on that Sepia zippered tote. Seems like Sepia is a discontinued color. I picked one up earlier this month for the same price and really like the hue. It’s not as creamy as the regular tan. There is more brown in it. It almost looks like it is a tan that has been used for a few years. Use Coupon Cabin for an additional 2% back. Gilt says this deal ends in two hours. Good luck.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Popeye and Filson collaboration! I think Ima get me a coffee mug.

I’m grabbing one of these for sure. I think one of those popeye t-shirts might be in the cards for me as well ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads