• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
And what was that last bag? It looked like a cross between a pullman and a medium duffle. Certainly taller than a small duffle. New form factor?
For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard of ducks unlimited, but it’s clearly a big enough deal that they’ve gone for the outside logo patch similar to the Nanamica collaborations previously.
Ducks Unlimited is the largest Wetland Conservation Group. Raised over $2 Billion on last capital campaign for land conservation. Most of its members are duck hunters, however the group is for conservation, not hunting or gun rights.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Hmm, well that wasn't it. I do remember that bag, though. Twas marketed as having tough leather in all of the high wear areas. There were a couple of bags in the line. I believe it came out about the time Filson started introducing orange twill.

mgrennier

Reaction score
And what was that last bag? It looked like a cross between a pullman and a medium duffle. Certainly taller than a small duffle. New form factor?
For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard of ducks unlimited, but it’s clearly a big enough deal that they’ve gone for the outside logo patch similar to the Nanamica collaborations previously.
Oooh. That last bag may just be a “must-buy”. What was that?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, I checked out the Montgomery Street Filson while in SF on business. Smaller by far than the two NYC Filson stores but the sales associate was much friendlier and engaging (Jay?). Maybe it’s a West Coast thing as the Uber and taxi drivers were also talkative too. He offered me a choice of espresso, beer or water too. Offering me a beer is a very effective way to put me in a buying frame of mind ;-)

We got to talking and I mentioned I got my first Filson bag about 20 years ago. And he seemed really jazzed about that and that I had a navy Journeyman (which always gets a comment from Filson SAs as it wasn’t offered for very long).

So I took a look at Winter Sales section. They had the last red mackinaw duffle. I liked it but it was not the Nantucket red I was hoping but a red-orange like previously mentioned. Though I am sure it will be collectible one day. I know I am a sucker for buying Filson on trips and there was one dry wax vest left. It was love at first sight (touch). It was the 4.5oz shell and had a more refined look than my 17oz version. It was exactly what I wanted - something packable/light and that I could wear while on a flight without overheating with business casual clothing and would fit comfortably under a Mackinaw for really cold days. I bought it one size smaller than my other vest for a trimmer fit. It is probably more versatile for my purposes than the 17oz. but more likely to rip under heavy work use or in brush. Horses for courses.
A5955CF4-0718-4386-9946-85A852C3128C.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, I checked out the Montgomery Street Filson while in SF on business. Smaller by far than the two NYC Filson stores but the sales associate was much friendlier and engaging (Jay?). Maybe it’s a West Coast thing as the Uber and taxi drivers were also talkative too. He offered me a choice of espresso, beer or water too. Offering me a beer is a very effective way to put me in a buying frame of mind ;-)

We got to talking and I mentioned I got my first Filson bag about 20 years ago. And he seemed really jazzed about that and that I had a navy Journeyman (which always gets a comment from Filson SAs as it wasn’t offered for very long).

So I took a look at Winter Sales section. They had the last red mackinaw duffle. I liked it but it was not the Nantucket red I was hoping but a red-orange like previously mentioned. Though I am sure it will be collectible one day. I know I am a sucker for buying Filson on trips and there was one dry wax vest left. It was love at first sight (touch). It was the 4.5oz shell and had a more refined look than my 17oz version. It was exactly what I wanted - something packable/light and that I could wear while on a flight without overheating with business casual clothing and would fit comfortably under a Mackinaw for really cold days. I bought it one size smaller than my other vest for a trimmer fit. It is probably more versatile for my purposes than the 17oz. but more likely to rip under heavy work use or in brush. Horses for courses.
View attachment 1324836
Very nice! I agree - having a conversation with a Filson SA who cares about and understands the products just can’t be beaten. The London store is tiny but the staff are good, and interactions are very different to any you get elsewhere in retail. Long may that continue.

nevadabob

Reaction score
As if in answer to my prayers, Filson re-released an oyster shucking knife!

Not nearly as fancy as the one from a couple of years ago, but a knife none-the-less

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 86 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 142 28.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%