• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total impulse buy. I wasn't in the market for another zipper tote, but the honey colored straps really got me. Gonna look great with some wear:
TCfebRa.jpg

Xu0PeFE.jpg

sEbg5m8.jpg
lkkOQqZ.jpg

l9vT2kC.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what was that last bag? It looked like a cross between a pullman and a medium duffle. Certainly taller than a small duffle. New form factor?
For what it’s worth, I’ve never heard of ducks unlimited, but it’s clearly a big enough deal that they’ve gone for the outside logo patch similar to the Nanamica collaborations previously.
Oooh. That last bag may just be a “must-buy”. What was that?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, I checked out the Montgomery Street Filson while in SF on business. Smaller by far than the two NYC Filson stores but the sales associate was much friendlier and engaging (Jay?). Maybe it’s a West Coast thing as the Uber and taxi drivers were also talkative too. He offered me a choice of espresso, beer or water too. Offering me a beer is a very effective way to put me in a buying frame of mind ;-)

We got to talking and I mentioned I got my first Filson bag about 20 years ago. And he seemed really jazzed about that and that I had a navy Journeyman (which always gets a comment from Filson SAs as it wasn’t offered for very long).

So I took a look at Winter Sales section. They had the last red mackinaw duffle. I liked it but it was not the Nantucket red I was hoping but a red-orange like previously mentioned. Though I am sure it will be collectible one day. I know I am a sucker for buying Filson on trips and there was one dry wax vest left. It was love at first sight (touch). It was the 4.5oz shell and had a more refined look than my 17oz version. It was exactly what I wanted - something packable/light and that I could wear while on a flight without overheating with business casual clothing and would fit comfortably under a Mackinaw for really cold days. I bought it one size smaller than my other vest for a trimmer fit. It is probably more versatile for my purposes than the 17oz. but more likely to rip under heavy work use or in brush. Horses for courses.
A5955CF4-0718-4386-9946-85A852C3128C.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday, I checked out the Montgomery Street Filson while in SF on business. Smaller by far than the two NYC Filson stores but the sales associate was much friendlier and engaging (Jay?). Maybe it’s a West Coast thing as the Uber and taxi drivers were also talkative too. He offered me a choice of espresso, beer or water too. Offering me a beer is a very effective way to put me in a buying frame of mind ;-)

We got to talking and I mentioned I got my first Filson bag about 20 years ago. And he seemed really jazzed about that and that I had a navy Journeyman (which always gets a comment from Filson SAs as it wasn’t offered for very long).

So I took a look at Winter Sales section. They had the last red mackinaw duffle. I liked it but it was not the Nantucket red I was hoping but a red-orange like previously mentioned. Though I am sure it will be collectible one day. I know I am a sucker for buying Filson on trips and there was one dry wax vest left. It was love at first sight (touch). It was the 4.5oz shell and had a more refined look than my 17oz version. It was exactly what I wanted - something packable/light and that I could wear while on a flight without overheating with business casual clothing and would fit comfortably under a Mackinaw for really cold days. I bought it one size smaller than my other vest for a trimmer fit. It is probably more versatile for my purposes than the 17oz. but more likely to rip under heavy work use or in brush. Horses for courses.
View attachment 1324836
Very nice! I agree - having a conversation with a Filson SA who cares about and understands the products just can’t be beaten. The London store is tiny but the staff are good, and interactions are very different to any you get elsewhere in retail. Long may that continue.

nevadabob

Reaction score
As if in answer to my prayers, Filson re-released an oyster shucking knife!

Not nearly as fancy as the one from a couple of years ago, but a knife none-the-less

FilsonDude

Reaction score
As if in answer to my prayers, Filson re-released an oyster shucking knife!

Not nearly as fancy as the one from a couple of years ago, but a knife none-the-less
Better jump on that. “Limited quantities available”

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t walk in the sun a lot, but my briefcase does ride in the front seat of my car, exposing it to the sun now that I think about it! May move to the floorboard

So I am finally reading through all of the pages that I have missed in my 2 month absence and you guys have certainly delivered, I am having fun. I hate to clog up the current conversation with old posts but this was too funny not to respond. I actually cover up my Filson's when in the car with beach towels in colors that deflect the light. At first it was for that exact purpose, to prevent sun fading. When I first met @mgrennier for cigars back in early 2018 he had quite a laugh after seeing them all covered :lol: . However today I cover them up for a completely different reason. I am in some pretty violent places on the job, in fact I was near a drive-by shooting not too long ago which was close enough to hear the bullets ricocheting by. So I cover up my Filson's to prevent the incentive of advertising what I have for others to take. Since my current Filson's are considered to be irreplaceable, that's the last thing I want.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked this new to me Filson x Burton 2-wheeler to replace my 12-yo High Sierra AT3.

Based upon my initial inspection, Filson provided the twill, zips and snaps to the Chinese manufacturer. The leather bits do not look and feel like the typical Wickett & Craig stock.

If there's interest, I can provide more pictures and additional specifications when I find a little more time to go over it with a finer toothed comb.

This is just my second collab peice. I once owned the Filson x Levi's trucker ... I sold it after a couple of years since I was never able to adjust to the clammy-feel of the waxed canvas.

Can't believe that I missed this, do you still have the Filson X Burton Wheeler? I have posted several times on here my love for this bag and the desire to own one (or their backpack collab), but I was never able to truly find out what they were like. Good reviews for them are pretty nonexistent. I hear you on the Trucker, I really like the way that they look, even for a waist jacket, but the clamminess is a phrase I often hear attributed to it...and other Tin Cloth style Filson's. I recently tried on a Levi's denim trucker and was very impressed how good it looked on me, so maybe there's something to that for future sake. I'll have to keep my eye out for a vintage Levi's trucker or a new one that catches my stare.

Congratulations on scoring one of the rarest Filson collaboration pieces next to the Filson x Vans Rucksack.

Update:
@speedy611 I appreciate the shout several posts after this one, you read my mind brother.

Also I got to the page where many of you guys were really kind to me in my absence and it brought a smile to my face. Things are still not going well for our Family. My Twin Brother hasn't spoken to me since August and missed our Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, several other family birthdays, etc. I am very grateful to be back and I can already feel the warmth that this place brings to my life. Also wanted to give a shout to @Dad Shoes & @Canuckle , I appreciate the kind words. I hope to see @Canuckle back here again soon, his viewpoint is certainly missed.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Journeyman on the mean streets of New York. SoHo in particular.
This bag really delivers as a one night, one bag solution.

in the bag is an eagle creek sack with one extra pair pants, shirt, underwear and socks and my Filson mini travel kit.

Such a nice way to travel. I find myself carrying the journeyman when my travels take me to New York. Just too damn convenient!

Attachments

• 8ECD6A35-9658-426C-B068-975DCF8BFC89.jpeg
    8ECD6A35-9658-426C-B068-975DCF8BFC89.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 100

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Journeyman on the mean streets of New York. SoHo in particular.
This bag really delivers as a one night, one bag solution.

in the bag is an eagle creek sack with one extra pair pants, shirt, underwear and socks and my Filson mini travel kit.

Such a nice way to travel. I find myself carrying the journeyman when my travels take me to New York. Just too damn convenient!

You would enjoy this article then. I like how I have a one bag option for even multiple days...if done right. Still in search though of the perfect one bag travel backpack. I want something that can patina (so Minaal might be out) and GoRuck appears to be made now in Vietnam, at least according to the page that I am up to in the forum, so that would be out too.

Journeyman article:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads