• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FilsonDude

Reaction score
As if in answer to my prayers, Filson re-released an oyster shucking knife!

Not nearly as fancy as the one from a couple of years ago, but a knife none-the-less
Better jump on that. “Limited quantities available”

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t walk in the sun a lot, but my briefcase does ride in the front seat of my car, exposing it to the sun now that I think about it! May move to the floorboard
So I am finally reading through all of the pages that I have missed in my 2 month absence and you guys have certainly delivered, I am having fun. I hate to clog up the current conversation with old posts but this was too funny not to respond. I actually cover up my Filson's when in the car with beach towels in colors that deflect the light. At first it was for that exact purpose, to prevent sun fading. When I first met @mgrennier for cigars back in early 2018 he had quite a laugh after seeing them all covered :lol: . However today I cover them up for a completely different reason. I am in some pretty violent places on the job, in fact I was near a drive-by shooting not too long ago which was close enough to hear the bullets ricocheting by. So I cover up my Filson's to prevent the incentive of advertising what I have for others to take. Since my current Filson's are considered to be irreplaceable, that's the last thing I want.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked this new to me Filson x Burton 2-wheeler to replace my 12-yo High Sierra AT3.

Based upon my initial inspection, Filson provided the twill, zips and snaps to the Chinese manufacturer. The leather bits do not look and feel like the typical Wickett & Craig stock.

If there's interest, I can provide more pictures and additional specifications when I find a little more time to go over it with a finer toothed comb.

This is just my second collab peice. I once owned the Filson x Levi's trucker ... I sold it after a couple of years since I was never able to adjust to the clammy-feel of the waxed canvas.
Can't believe that I missed this, do you still have the Filson X Burton Wheeler? I have posted several times on here my love for this bag and the desire to own one (or their backpack collab), but I was never able to truly find out what they were like. Good reviews for them are pretty nonexistent. I hear you on the Trucker, I really like the way that they look, even for a waist jacket, but the clamminess is a phrase I often hear attributed to it...and other Tin Cloth style Filson's. I recently tried on a Levi's denim trucker and was very impressed how good it looked on me, so maybe there's something to that for future sake. I'll have to keep my eye out for a vintage Levi's trucker or a new one that catches my stare.

Congratulations on scoring one of the rarest Filson collaboration pieces next to the Filson x Vans Rucksack.

Update:
@speedy611 I appreciate the shout several posts after this one, you read my mind brother.

Also I got to the page where many of you guys were really kind to me in my absence and it brought a smile to my face. Things are still not going well for our Family. My Twin Brother hasn't spoken to me since August and missed our Birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, several other family birthdays, etc. I am very grateful to be back and I can already feel the warmth that this place brings to my life. Also wanted to give a shout to @Dad Shoes & @Canuckle , I appreciate the kind words. I hope to see @Canuckle back here again soon, his viewpoint is certainly missed.

Last edited:

mgrennier

Reaction score
Filson Journeyman on the mean streets of New York. SoHo in particular.
This bag really delivers as a one night, one bag solution.

in the bag is an eagle creek sack with one extra pair pants, shirt, underwear and socks and my Filson mini travel kit.

Such a nice way to travel. I find myself carrying the journeyman when my travels take me to New York. Just too damn convenient!

Attachments

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Journeyman on the mean streets of New York. SoHo in particular.
This bag really delivers as a one night, one bag solution.

in the bag is an eagle creek sack with one extra pair pants, shirt, underwear and socks and my Filson mini travel kit.

Such a nice way to travel. I find myself carrying the journeyman when my travels take me to New York. Just too damn convenient!
You would enjoy this article then. I like how I have a one bag option for even multiple days...if done right. Still in search though of the perfect one bag travel backpack. I want something that can patina (so Minaal might be out) and GoRuck appears to be made now in Vietnam, at least according to the page that I am up to in the forum, so that would be out too.

Journeyman article:

Last edited:

McRiz

Reaction score
Do any of you know anything about this tin cloth bag/duffle/backpack? The Filson website has a mossy oak version. Do you know if this will be part of the lineup?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Do any of you know anything about this tin cloth bag/duffle/backpack? The Filson website has a mossy oak version. Do you know if this will be part of the lineup?

This used to be on Filson’s website. Appears gone now. Strange. I know it was there two or three months ago. If hunting for it, call the 800 number and see if they can track it down. I have not seen one in person.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you guys were picking a bag to serve as a be-all work/gym bag, what would you pick? No laptop, just a notebook and/or journal, water bottle, maybe some lunch, and a change of gym clothes(including shoes).

Kwaker

Reaction score
If you wanted that zipper tote in red, it is at Nordstrom rack for $100.

Zeke90

Reaction score
How is the 48hr duffle? Do you guys prefer it over a small rugged twill duffle? I like the pockets; but would like to know how is the weight when lugging it around for weekend trips (2-3 days)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is the 48hr duffle? Do you guys prefer it over a small rugged twill duffle? I like the pockets; but would like to know how is the weight when lugging it around for weekend trips (2-3 days)
I like mine for 2,3,4 day trips. Can cram it full of needed clothing/ancillary things. It is a bit heavier than a nylon bag, but does manage to fit in the overhead on an airplane, if not overstuffed. Plus it looks great and is Filson, so it is built to withstand an apocalypse. I don't have a small duffle, as I just never liked the look/style of a duffel bag, so use the medium field/24 hour/48 hour for travel.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like mine for 2,3,4 day trips. Can cram it full of needed clothing/ancillary things. It is a bit heavier than a nylon bag, but does manage to fit in the overhead on an airplane, if not overstuffed. Plus it looks great and is Filson, so it is built to withstand an apocalypse. I don't have a small duffle, as I just never liked the look/style of a duffel bag, so use the medium field/24 hour/48 hour for travel.
@Zeke90 - consider too the small Pullman. I had a 48, and liked it a lot. The pockets are useful. Ultimately I decided I prefer twill over tin cloth for its durability and looks. I didn’t really like the hard base of the 48, nor the trolley strap which I felt was flimsy and would be better as a pocket.
the small Pullman is fractionally larger, made of twill, has a front pocket (flat so less good but still useful. Personally, as I have a large Pullman already,I went for a vintage medium carry on (242) which is big enough to handle an extra pair of shoes.
Hope that’s helpful.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.