• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in San Antonio, a lot of local business have started carrying small enamel pins as brand merch. I’ve never been big on making permanent mods to my Filson gear, but I’ve picked up a few pins recently and have found them to be a nice way to nonpermanently personalize my daily carry.

View attachment 1067477

I like your selection and placement of pins. I ended up making a small aesthetic modification to my #257 while at Filson’s boutique NYC location. Best $2 ever spent. I have an idea going forward for my newly acquired #264; I’d like to get a pin from each Filson store I visit across the globe and place them along the top flap.

Love the way the red/black contrasts with my fade, also really like how it’s specific to Great Jones Street

E7E669D6-57E4-49D4-8250-EB48B1D72B39.jpeg

DC08FFE9-04D7-40F7-9FCA-FCD8EECAEB90.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the first time a Filson has been used for a delivery...
XppiXNL.jpg
Nice! Didn’t know you were a fellow Kentucky Bourbon appreciator.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the incentive. My hands are so slippery from wax I can barely type...
Done: Tin cruiser,Packer hat, Barbour.
Definitely agree on the heat gun.

Interestingly Filson wax is softer at room temp and can be applied with fingers. Barbour wax needs a water bath and goes on well with a paintbrush in liquid/melted form.

Still waiting with bated breath for my very ancient Belstaff Trialmaster to come back from Belstaff with it’s new zipper, pop faster and repaired pockets. It’s go so much old wax on it that when cold, the whole garment is basically rigid.

Would love to see a photo set of you or @CCF1897 rewaxing your Filson coats. In a future post you’ll understand why I am interested lol

Actually I missed the Flagship Grand Opening by one day if you can believe that luck, but I’m not complaining, as we both have 2 Filson Stores (including a Flagship) within a short train ride. One of these days Filson will wise up and open up in The Windy City for @GzStudio & @TinMan3 sake

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing the waxed clothing theme for a moment: great video review here of tin pants.

These are on my Christmas list. Filson grail item for me. I like the look and the utility:
View attachment 1068550

For those who have them 3 questions:
1. How do you size them? Size up?
2. Do they shrink?
3. Do you wear long johns under them? Or just bare legs?

Thanks!

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. I liked his enthusiasm towards the pants and Filson.

So about my interest for Tin Cloth rewaxing. As I mentioned in my post covering my first visit to a Filson store, I have 3 Filson Garments on my wishlist.
1. A Dark Navy Mackinaw Cruiser in Medium.
2. A Navy Mackinaw Vest (non Western) in Medium
3. A Tin Cloth Cruiser in Medium. Wasn’t expecting to fall in love with the look and feel, but wow is all I can say.

@GzStudio haha nice!, the manager at the store said I knew more then he did about Filson, which is funny because I honestly was trying to hide my knowledge of the brand. I would love to be an ambassador to Filson. I have several friends who are ambassadors of brands and they love it.

Note this is size small, a recommendation by Matt at Filson (similar height/build as me), it’s also Forrest Green. I went with Medium so I can layer, Small was snug on my arms

A997294F-D11A-4730-8844-FDC11813823C.jpeg

Please excuse my messy shirt, after I’m off the clock I always untuck, I felt like Billy Crystal in City Slickers :lol:

31EADBE7-B6F3-4433-8185-54D7DFADF809.jpeg

Finally here is me in my suit of armor. Really liked the feel and look of this. Thanks Matt of NYC Filson!!

CA25DFC8-BD7A-47F2-AE02-C5099506BD61.jpeg

MORE TO COME.............

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome video, thanks for sharing. I liked his enthusiasm towards the pants and Filson.

So about my interest for Tin Cloth rewaxing. As I mentioned in my post covering my first visit to a Filson store, I have 3 Filson Garments on my wishlist.
3. A Tin Cloth Cruiser in Medium. Wasn’t expecting to fall in love with the look and feel, but wow is all I can say.

@GzStudio haha nice!, the manager at the store said I knew more then he did about Filson, which is funny because I honestly was trying to hide my knowledge of the brand. I would love to be an ambassador to Filson. I have several friends who are ambassadors of brands and they love it.

Note this is size small, a recommendation by Matt at Filson (similar height/build as me), it’s also Forrest Green. I went with Medium so I can layer, Small was snug on my arms

View attachment 1069636

Please excuse my messy shirt, after I’m off the clock I always untuck, I felt like Billy Crystal in City Slickers :lol:

View attachment 1069637

Finally here is me in my suit of armor. Really liked the feel and look of this. Thanks Matt of NYC Filson!!

View attachment 1069638

Looking good OMG! Which did you go for in the end?
We need to get you out of those running shoes into some good boots ;-)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Didn’t know you were a fellow Kentucky Bourbon appreciator.
Oh yes - have a decent collection, though I lean toward rye for some of my favorites (EH Taylor 10, Whistle Pig 10, Angel's Envy Rye).

[EDIT - all of those are getting damn pricey now - I have a backup bottle for all, but not sure I'll afford any after that :()

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1069636

View attachment 1069637

View attachment 1069638

While all of those garments look great, the standout here for me is the mackinaw cruiser. Looks very natural and I think it would get a ton of use in New Jersey.

While the tin cruiser looks good, I would encourage you to consider the purpose for which you would be buying it. I wear my short tin cruiser because I like the look, but ultimately, this jacket is meant for getting through heavy brush without ripping. Mine is also not even water repellent. Some may be, but mine soaks through at the presence of just a few drops.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While all of those garments look great, the standout here for me is the mackinaw cruiser. Looks very natural and I think it would get a ton of use in New Jersey.

While the tin cruiser looks good, I would encourage you to consider the purpose for which you would be buying it. I wear my short tin cruiser because I like the look, but ultimately, this jacket is meant for getting through heavy brush without ripping. Mine is also not even water repellent. Some may be, but mine soaks through at the presence of just a few drops.
I agree here. From the pics the Mac looks very good.
My tin cruiser is waterproof but needs regular waxing. It also needs a warm layer underneath otherwise feels clammy. It doesn’t insulate at all. But it is good if you are moving vigorously outside - gee- as if you were working in a forest for example.
Get the Mac first then you can think about the cruiser to go over the top later on.

CCF1897

Reaction score
I agree here. From the pics the Mac looks very good.
My tin cruiser is waterproof but needs regular waxing. It also needs a warm layer underneath otherwise feels clammy. It doesn’t insulate at all. But it is good if you are moving vigorously outside - gee- as if you were working in a forest for example.
Get the Mac first then you can think about the cruiser to go over the top later on.
@OtterMeanGreen- I have the Mac in Navy and wear it all the time in NJ, I agree with Speedy and Tinman in that would be the best choice, given our weather patterns here in NJ you can wear from early fall-late spring. I also have the Navy Mac vest and it is great, with a wool Pendleton Trail shirt, the vest and the single mac I am good in almost any condition. When it gets super cold I break out the double mac. The tin coat will need to be layered under and really does not breath at all. I have the tin field coat and can't wear it until 40 or below if I am doing any sort of field walking. Mine is waterproof, however I sent two back that were not, since I use it for hunting I was willing to give them one more try, if this one had leaked I would have moved on and just used the tom beckbe or barbour.
EDIT-I should also say that filson did admit to a "bad batch" of tin cloth in their coats that was leaking a few years back, and this would have been around the time mine leaked. I have read every review on that site for the Tin Cloth Field Coat which I have and several say that they were in rain for hours and did not get wet. This is NOW my experience with my coat and am completely satisfied with it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I packed for a trip to Toronto for two nights and two days. I was going to be on one of the small jets so I tried to use the small duffle, but my sport coat would not fit do I pulled out the mighty large carry-on. Worked perfectly albeit as a larger package. The large carry-on (not apparent in the photo) has a beautiful olive color in natural light. And the leather is absolutely top notch.

View attachment 1069139

Anyway, my flight was canceled with no alternate flights available that evening. But as a consolation, the colder weather and rain meant it was time to pull out my long navy mackinaw. It is my preferred jacket in wet 30s/40s weather as I stay dry and warm. And the flannel lining and weight of the wool gives you a toasty feeling that I don’t get with synthetics like Goretex.
View attachment 1069140

It is a bit of a duck-billed platypus style-wise with all the pocketing so it isn’t the most elegant coat I have. But all those snap pockets make it practical for travel or daily life. And again, it is comfy!

Nice bike @speedy611 . Is that a Cafe Racer?

I’ve always liked how you characterized your Long Cruiser @Soletrane ,as a Duckbill Platypus. Cracks me up every time. I heard from the store employees that Filson discontinued that model; shame as I had a chance last year to get one 50% off and passed.

I’m proud to say that I have finally tried on a Journeyman at the Filson Store and I can see why you & @mgrennier rave about it so much. That is the bag that I recently mentioned is on my wishlist, but there’s a bit of a shock coming...I want it in TAN. After seeing both the OG & Tan side by side, firsthand, I was more blown away by the TAN. So now the hunt is back on, still the same requirements: First Edition, new-like, Rivets, and Brooks Brothers (but will settle for a regular)

C2AA9570-9493-4BEE-87AE-8C3B3B0A1896.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We need to get you out of those running shoes into some good boots ;-)

I bought my packing cubes from Backcountry.com. They are amazing; cheap and insanely fast shipping (despite being way out in Utah).

Thanks! I actually am eyeing my first pair of Boots but will have to wait until I have the funds. It will definitely be Red Wing Heritages, but I really want a pair of Alden Indy’s (who doesn’t am I right? :lol:). I guess you could also argue that a good pair of denim is also on the list, but that will have to wait until I actually come across a pair that suits me, as I would like to try on before buying. I’m a little of a padantic with trying things on first.

Check these bad boys out. They were free at Filson of NYC. Even their matches have the slogan, although I would argue them being the “best”, as they contain sulfur and aren’t made of cedar (like quality cigar matches)

799FCDDC-FC5F-46AD-A47C-9B867573D847.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes - have a decent collection, though I lean toward rye for some of my favorites (EH Taylor 10, Whistle Pig 10, Angel's Envy Rye).

[EDIT - all of those are getting damn pricey now - I have a backup bottle for all, but not sure I'll afford any after that :()

That’s awesome! I’ve had over 50 mid to top shelf premium Bourbons & Ryes over the course of 4 years, including the ones you’ve listed. It’s one of my favorite hobbies actually. I am planning a trip next spring to the Bourbon Trail, got a close friend that lives down the road from most of the major distilleries that I’m gonna be staying with.

This is still one of my most prized pieces in my small collection. It’s the extremely limited production of George T. Stagg Barrel Strength 129.2 proof. It’s part of the 2017 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC). I won it at the annual BTAC raffle and paid retail ($98). It’s already going for 5 times that on secondary markets. I still have yet to uncork it. Waiting for the right moment I guess. You’d be hard pressed to find one of these for sale on the shelf at a B&M, which is why I chose not to profit on mine

1FB5E949-FC02-4C72-8F41-B673CDF3E551.jpeg

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome! I’ve had over 50 mid to top shelf premium Bourbons & Ryes over the course of 4 years, including the ones you’ve listed. It’s one of my favorite hobbies actually. I am planning a trip next spring to the Bourbon Trail, got a close friend that lives down the road from most of the major distilleries that I’m gonna be staying with.

This is still one of my most prized pieces in my small collection. It’s the extremely limited production of George T. Stagg Barrel Strength 129.2 proof. It’s part of the 2017 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC). I won it at the annual BTAC raffle and paid retail ($98). It’s already going for 5 times that on secondary markets. I still have yet to uncork it. Waiting for the right moment I guess. You’d be hard pressed to find one of these for sale on the shelf at a B&M, which is why I chose not to profit on mine

View attachment 1070118

Damn - that Stagg is a pretty special bottle. It's a long story, but I had a very special night where I got to have an amazing assortment of stuff. Believe it or not, this isn't even a full accounting of the evening:
LeTRLZ.jpg

I think my buddy and I finished that bottle (or close to it). It was so damn smooth despite the high proof. You're gonna love it.

Some other stars from the night:
kN1PuT.jpg

QvoG3j.jpg

We did finish the Michter's.

3AtqGf.jpg

This wasn't great to start. A couple drops of water opened it up to amazing.

Believe it or not, we had time and opportunity for some wine:
jvdZmv.jpg

5CyKxz.jpg

ExsY9W.jpg

THAT...was a good night...

[apologies for the brag post, but thanks for the trip down amnesia lane...]

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn - that Stagg is a pretty special bottle. It's a long story, but I had a very special night where I got to have an amazing assortment of stuff. Believe it or not, this isn't even a full accounting of the evening:
LeTRLZ.jpg

I think my buddy and I finished that bottle (or close to it). It was so damn smooth despite the high proof. You're gonna love it.

Some other stars from the night:
kN1PuT.jpg

QvoG3j.jpg

We did finish the Michter's.

3AtqGf.jpg

This wasn't great to start. A couple drops of water opened it up to amazing.

Believe it or not, we had time and opportunity for some wine:
jvdZmv.jpg

5CyKxz.jpg

ExsY9W.jpg

THAT...was a good night...

[apologies for the brag post, but thanks for the trip down amnesia lane...]

Thanks! No apologies necessary, that’s quite impressive. Sounds like a great night, I’m a Malbec/Syrah appreciator so I do respect that wine menu you had too. I’ve actually had a sample sent to me of the 2010 George T Stagg 143 proof. I enjoyed it neat, as I do with all of my whiskey, it was quite smooth and very chewy.

These are a list of some of the more rare birds I’ve enjoyed over years (not to brag either):

Bourbon:
-George T Stagg 2010 (143 proof)
-Barrell Cask Strength (128.3 proof)
-Heavenhill Single Barrel 14 Year (115 proof)
-California Gold
-William LaRue Weller (135.4 proof)
-Vintage Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Release #6 (140.2 proof) 12 Years
-Stagg JR. 7 Years (129.5 Proof)

Rye:
-Willett Family Estate Bottled Small Batch 2018 (106.6 Proof) & 2016 (120.1 Proof)
-Astor Wines Selection Whistle Pig 10 Year (119.2 Proof)

* still haven’t tried Pappy 15,20,23 and many others that aren’t readily accessible in NJ

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for all of your expertise, insight & compliments on how it looks on me! @TinMan3 @speedy611 & @CCF1897 . For my first Filson Coat I am definitely going for the Mackinaw Cruiser Dark Navy (Medium). I am pairing that purchase with a Navy Mackinaw Vest (Medium). Glad that you (@CCF1897 ) have that same setup, as I can bounce some ideas off of you. Like you have all said, the Mack Cruiser & Vest I can get plenty of usage right now, so that’s my plan!

While I do love how the Tin Cruiser looks and feels on me, I’d like to wait till the right opportunity comes along where I can utilize its potential, and wearing it out for style can just be a byproduct. I just love how it comes New & stiff and you can break it in over time (like a piece of Rugged Twill Luggage).

So obviously I didn’t buy either coat...because I would never pay retail (w/o a sale either), so what did I end up getting as my first Filson in-store purchase?

http://nokomisshoes.com/shop/accessories/logger-cap-copy/

This was a discontinued model that was merely on display on a nail with an assortment of other hats, wasn’t even in the system. It’s made with 12oz Rugged Twill and has already been put to the test in a flash flood; which kept my head completely dry! What do you guys think?

6E41B8DE-A0F6-4C19-BE32-FB85E85B1C44.jpeg

911A4E74-6370-4D32-B85F-0AF5F62B4635.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads